Do you copy CDs?

Alan

Thats the question, fairly simple and straight to the point. It is reported that people who copy cds and sell them on are costing the record industry millions, but that is not what is interesting me here. I want to know if you copy cds from your mates/family members to save you going out and buying certain albums. Or if you dont, then do you have a reason? Do you beleive it to be wrong, or is it that you just dont have th facilities?

Personally i do, if my parents/brothers/mates get a cd which i would like, to save me the £9-£12 i will gladly just copy it on my pc and download the covers from a website. I have around 15-20 such albums and i wont stop doing it without good reason. It saves me money and doesnt take much effort to do.

Yeah I copy Cd's all the day. But I don't sell them on. I mean I copy them cause at the end of the day, I just want to hear the music and such. If I really like it, and want the whole package I'll go buy the CD. Have no idea why all of a sudden the music industry are deciding to crack down. It's not like its a new thing. Heck 25 years ago, people were copying albums on to tape, yet they didn't bat an eyelid then. Its just because now they aren't making ridiculous monster profits on everything, that they complain. Most bands aren't bothered by copying, because they barely make any money off their albums anyway, and they make the most from touring and such, which will obviously be helped by more listening to their music, be it bought, copied, downloaded etc.

The only reason its become a topic now, is because the music industry isn't raking it in like before.

The only CD's I copy are compilations, It helps really when travelling between places not having to keep switching CD's all the time so I download a selection of songs and burn them to CD. 99% of the time I have the songs I download on CD already it's just easier to have all the songs I want to listen to on one CD. I don't like the idea of downloading entire albums.

If I like a band I buy their album.

I only but albums which I have waited a while to come out, like recently I bought Drowning Pool - Desensitized and Saliva - Survival of the Sickest.

I bought these because I really like the bands and was looking forward for them to come out.

But if a mate has an album which I wouldnt mind having or dont fancy paying a 10er for then I'll just copy it to the computer.

Albums such as Marilyn Manson - Lest We Forget. I wouldnt have bought it myself but I'd still like it on my computer.

I have more actual albums than I have copied.

Nah, I don't nother. If I want an album I'll buy it and if I think something is alright but wouldn't pay for it, then I don't really bother. I don't have loads of albums, but I have enough music now that if I don't have a copy of something that I wasn't fussed enough to buy anyway, then I won't miss it when at any given time I could probably come up with ten albums that I'd just as soon listen to if not prefer entirely to the music I've chosen not to buy.

Apparently the British Phonographic Industry are about to start prosecuting filesharers any time now, so maybe it's a good thing I don't as I wouldn't consider myself lucky enough to get away with doing it if I had copied lots of music.

It's about accountability as well. Copying onto tape wasn't cracked down on, but now with the internet and internet sites it's much easier to find out who is downlaoding and copying what, so there's money to be made by prosecuting people, whereas before there weren't really the means to be sure as to who was copying music.

I download and burn onto CD loads of albums. Not that it in any way hurts the industry. See, if I want to go buy an album I've not heard I'll download it, and then if it's good I'll buy the album anyways. If it sucks then I won't bother. I download music because I find it's the best way for me to check out bands I wouldn't otherwise be able to without actually going out and buying an album that might end up sucking anyway. So in fact the abililty to download music without paying it actually gets me buying more albums than I would without it.

As for copying CD to CD, I don't do much of that. Largely because I can just download it myself rather than borrowing it from a mate to copy.

If theres music I like I usually just get the songs I like and keep them on my pc. Ive got a tonne of copied albums but I have never and will never sell them to anyone to make a profit or otherwise. I just dont like the way they are charged at extorsionate prices when Im so very very poor. I like music but Im not going to cripple myself financially to listen to a few songs, theres no point.

Besides a large proportion of the music I listen to are wrestling themes sad as it may sound/be but they are genuinely good songs most of the time and envoke some reaction or emotion from you. Now far be it for me to critisce but when WWE dont release any new CDs for months/years and what they have on isnt all that great then i download the stuff. No harm in it really as a lot of sites are overlooked by WWE.

Depends really. If I can afford it I will go out and buy them in their original form for the artwork and etc....

If I can't like at the moment then I will get cheap copys from a shop in Manchester or if my mates got I burn them. So the Marilyn Manson, Rammstein, Korn and Killswitch Engage releases that are recent are all copied.

Plus if I I like a couple of tracks on an album I'll just download them or get it copied of a friend like my Murderdolls, Stone Roses etc etc...

Plus since my Mini Disc players broke now then the only way I can make compilations for when I'm out and about is the the good old CD-R's or spend £150-£200 on a new MD... Which one would you choose?