Premiership star "tests positive"

Nicole

Credit to BBC sport

Premiership star 'tests positive'

The Mail on Sunday has reported that a Premiership player tested positive for a "banned substance".

Neither the player nor the club can be named for legal reasons, and the Football Association refused to comment on the report on Sunday.

The FA said it was tightening its doping programme after Rio Ferdinand's missed drugs test in 2003.

It said in July it would increase the number of tests in the 2004-05 season by 20% after a review by Lord Coe.

Heard rumours online on who it could be, but will be interesting to see what happens.

What so they are just gonna print a complete lie and make up a story?

There is bending the truth, but well I find it incredibly unlikely they'll just make up a story, on grounds of being sued for liable by the FA, and whatever club or player's agent. Just cause its The Mail, means nothing.

yeah, personally I would read a lot into it Christof, Daily Mail or not. It's almost certain that somebody has tested positive and that we will find out over the next few days who it is. Besides, is it hard to believe that it's happened? Come on, while they may not all be performance enhancing, do you genuinely think all those young lads with more money than they know what to do with aren't partial to the odd line or two?

It'll be interesting to see who it is. All I would say is pay no attention to any internet rumours because they are basically full of crap. If anyone of them do get it right it's down to pure guesswork and not based on any insider knowledge at all. Lets just wait and see who it is because the truth is until that happens nobody has a clue.

Personally I'm hoping it'll be Craig Short, then maybe Mark Hughes will be forced to go out and buy a decent centre back. In fact, I'd be happier if the entire Blackburn back four had been out coking it up on a night out (they play like they're shot on something anyway) not too long ago and have now all been caught.

It's not just been reported in the Daily Mail, a heck of a lot of internet sites have it, some decent ones to. From what I've read from various news sites, it's:

*A london team

*Player on international duty.

Narrows it down a bit somewhat, knowing my luck it'll be someone from a team well far from london, but hey :)

Nothing really at all. But put yourself in the postion of Morinho. Mutu is a player bought by the previous boss who misfires in front of goal in his first season. You then take charge and buy Drogba (at a hugely inflated price) and Kezman who where on fantastic form last season and keep Eider cos he's a hugely underrated player who played well alongside Hasselbank and Crespo and in fact was better then either last season.

So he gets rid of Crespo back to AC Milan and then flogs Hasselbank to Boro cos he's getting on (but what a steal for Boro!) and he keeps Mutu to keep up his complement of 4 strikers but I think he'd have rather sold him to Juventus. As you may or not know Juve wanted a season long loan deal rather then an outright buy.

But cos he couldn't sell him him for cash he couldn't go out and buy a new striker after the cost of 24.?m on Drogba and then 15m+ on Kezman... So Mutu has been frozen out.

Its his own form and the transfer market not the manager that caused Mutu's plight, thats even if its him that is the culprit...

By the way my list where just the England internationals... god knows who else fights that spec apart from them, thats many international players. Lets just wait till it go's public like Jayden says.

Kezman was nowhere near 15m by the way. However, yeah Mutu's underperformance has been his problem. Add to that the fact that they have three strikers better than him. Of course if it's him that's been caught then he has nobody but himself to blame.

So, this all has no bearing on Mourinho at all.

However, I would just mention that I think Hasselbaink outperformed Gudjohnsen last season and was still their best striker. I can understand them wanting rid, and as you say it's a steal for Bor but I think it has more to do with age than performance last season. Gudjohnsen has actually looked quite poor this season so far.

Yeah this season Eiders been pretty awful but the last two seasons when he was coupled with Jimmy he looked great and a constant threat. How much was Kezman? I thought it was 15m?

And the thing about Jimmy is that I thought it was age two, not his performance as he completely outshone Crespo and Mutu like you said.

Kezman was £5m from PSV.

As for Mutu failing the drugs test, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often with foreign players. All kinds of national teams give their players a huge variety of drugs and performance enhancing materials, and different countries have different rules regarding what's legal and what's not. I read a brilliant article on Soccernet.com a few years ago from an African football expert who gave a really frightening look at what goes on behind the scenes in some team's camps. Half the time the players don't know what they're taking (anyone can crush a pill into a bottle of water and stick it at the side of the pitch), but loads of international managers gamble by putting all kinds of substances into their players.

Maybe it's not quite as widespread as some people think, but I have no doubt that this kind of thing goes on. The other week, Arsene Wenger said a similar thing that loads of his new signings could test positive for certain substances that were given to them before they joined the club.

Maybe Mutu has done it himself, or maybe he's the victim of a cruel risk taken by the Romanian FA to improve their players' performances. Either way, I don't think this is the last we'll hear of this story.

What I have heard about the story is that there is a supplement which you can take quite freely, and legally, in the Dutch Leagues but is banned in other leagues, but not all leagues, in Europe. The English Premiership is one of those leagues where it is banned.

Another thing I have gathered from this story is that it was a player who was playing in the Dutch leagues last season and who has moved to the Premiership in the summer. When a sample was taken from this player in Aug/Sept, this banned drug was found in the sample. The Dutch FA said "what the hey?" and the English FA said "this stuff is banned chaps".

Legend has it that Arsene Wenger said the stuff about new playres failing drugs tests in light of the fact that the transfer of Hatem Trabelsi from Ajax collapsed. Wenger said he was "disappointed" with Trabelsi and the press made Trabelsi out to be a greedy foreigner. It's probably more to do with the fact that Trabelsi had been taking this supplement.

It may have something to do with why Robin van Persie has hardly had a kick - he was signed from Feyenoord.

Players to be wary of:

Arjen Robben - Chelsea

Mateja Kezman - Chelsea

Robin van Persie - Arsenal

Jelle van Damme - Southampton

Dennis Rommedahl - Charlton

There are others, clearly, but I cannot think of any others!

Many apologies for the lack of sources and lack of naming what the drug is.

Cheers!

Like I said above, we haven't heard the last of this. Mutu has now admitted taking cocaine to the FA, in the hope that it'll get him a small suspension than if he had plead innocence to the B sample.

So what do you think? Should he recieve a smaller ban because he admitted it? Or would you prefer that the FA comes down on him even harder?

If someone has owned up to something and apologised then I thik it should factor into what happens. Provided it's genuine and not forced by the situation. This one of course seems very much forced by the situation. Is he sorry? Course not, he just wants a shorted ban. In court pleading guilty can help your case so I don't see why it should be any different, but as I said, I don't think Mutu is particularly guilty at all.

The more pressing question in my mind is should he be banned at all? Cocaine in no way enhances his performance, therefore he is in no way a cheat. What he does in his private life, which in turn will damage his own career anyway, is that really the business of the FA? He's not cheated and he's harmed his own career so is that punishment enough for him? I think not, and here's why.

People often say that the career of a footballer is a short one, so they deserve to get as much money as possible. Well, if it is such a short one and they get the chance through their own hard work and talent to be in a very privileged position, live a life that we can only dream of, and get to live out their childhood dreams then is 15 or so years without huge ammounts of alcohol, whores, drugs, fights, and ridiculous nightclub escapades a huge sacrifice? Of course it's not. If I was told I could play for Chelsea and play international football and be a hugely talented footballer yet I had to give up the alcohol, drugs, whores and fighting I'd do it in a second. He's hurt his own reputation, the reputiation of the game, the club, and of the English league. Ok, sure, mostly he's just hurt himself but these things do have an effect elsewhere and he should stlil be banned.

It's like when all those morons kept pleading that Rio hadn't failed a drugs test, he had just missed one and insisted that he should escape lightly. Doing so would just have meant that everyone who had to take a drugs test would be thinking "hmm, i had a bit of coke last weekend, now, if i get caught i'm gonna get like a 10 month ban, if i go shopping i'll get a couple of month ban. Yeah, that's what I'll do". Well I think it's mildly similar here. They shouldn't get the chance to plead that it's not performance enhancing, other than of course in the bedroom dept, and while I think that the fact he has come clean and apologised should be a factor I really don't think it should make that much of a significant difference.

The ruling for Ferdinand was that missing the test was the same as failing it. The main problem with that was that there isnt a standard for what drug it counts as failing it for, whereas with others it can be factored in. While for example I dont think they should get away with taking something like Cocaine, I dont think the punishment should be as harsh as performace enhancers, as they are more trying to give you an advantage over opponents, where the othere are more recreational(if thats the right term to use). it doesnt make any more right or wrong than the other, but for the ban I believe that the drug should be factored in.

And its impossible to say for sure whether Ferdinand did or didnt take drugs. Maybe he had but by the time he ended up getting the test they were out his system? Maybe he was just forgetful. Nobody really knows for sure other than him.