Diving

Nicole

No I don't mean in swimming, I mean football diving.

Anyway, I was thinking about this after watching our match down the pub today, do you agree with diving in certain circumstances?

Basically, it all came into my head when I was watching Blues/Man Utd today (great performance....from Blues btw) and possibly one of the best young players they have: Christiano Ronaldo.

I have to give it to Ronaldo, hes one hell of a player. Hell, me and the dad and Bro were discussing how much of a threat he would be to us, and we hoped he had an off game. The kid has tremendous skills, and his age means he will develop into a better player, which is pretty scary thinking of the quality he has now.

Anyway, onto what I was thinking about. Ronaldos coming towards the box, two defenders on him, they go to take the ball, Ronaldo goes down. Initial thought: Yeah they've clipped him, fair free kick. Then came the replay.

Defender goes for ball, absolutely nowhere near Ronaldo (closest was about 6-8 inches away) and Ronaldo dived blatently and won the free kick. Camera evidence showed that nobody had touched the kid, he'd gone down on his own accord.

So basically, I wanted to know if you think its right for a player to dive to win free kicks like that, or if it's disapointing if it is a skillful player, aka Christiano Ronaldo.

My thoughts are that it's wrong, and it does mark him down in my estimation. I've seen how good he can be, and I don't think diving should be an aspect of his game seeing how good he is. I'm not picking on him because he's a Man Utd player either, if one of our players did it/does it, I don't agree with it, as it actually makes the player look a lesser player.

Love the way you call him 'Kid' even though he's a couple of years older than you. :xyx

Diving is a part of the game that needs to be eradicated, unfortunately Mr Blatter is more intersted in trying to get women footballers to wear tighter shorts than trying to clamp down on it.

It happens everywhere, I'm sure there are a few Birmingham players who like to go down a little too easily, Heskey is one, granted thats mainly due to the fact that he struggles to keep a vertical base even in the most normal of circumstanses, but i've known him to take a few dives in his time.

The only way to stop it is to use video evidence after games to discipline players found guilty of diving, perhaps a 3 strikes and your banned rule where if a player is found guilty 3 times he gets a 1 match ban.

The fact is that if there is an opportunity to take a dive and win a free kick or penalty then 99% of players would take the chance. Especially as so many players get away with it. It occurs in every league, and probably every country, and the only way to curb this increasing trend is as KJ suggested with after match analysis being used to implement bans. However there will always be difficulties with this option. Many matches are televised and have grounds full of tv cameras, however matches that are not being shown on telly only have one or two cameras if that on the ground. So many instances will not be able to be checked/analysed. If the FA and FIFA are committed to eradicated diving then it will cost them a lot of money, it wouldnt surprise me if they left everything alone to save their money for their fat bonuses

Yeh I mean thing is, I think personally its not like there are 1 or 2 cases of it, every club has people who've dived and will dive to win free kicks. The only problem it causes are when referees think they've got it sussed, but then when somebody actually goes down from a challenge and the ref thinks its diving, like Drogba against Villa. You can never put a full stop to it, it's just impossible, unfortunately its part and parcel to the game.

Another problem is that its not always easy to tell, in the sorta way as how much contact does it take for someone to go down. An example is Lovenkrands for Ranegrs winning penalties a couple of times where its looked like hes went down easy, but then you have other factors like the speed he's going at the time which can make it more difficult to stay up even with minimal contact.

Another example from a Scottish game last year(cant remember who), was when a player had went past a player in the box, and the next player clearly made a lot of contact, but trying to be honest because he thought a shooting opportunity he tried to stay up but was unable to keep his balance and went down after a couple of steps and got nothing for it. When things like that dont get anything is it any surprise players will go down at any opportunity to get penalties or free kicks?

Archived