In on the ground floor... or just catching up?

A.C.

My little post on Shaun of the Dead just now got me thinking...

Are you a setter of the trends? Or are you the type that's left scratching their head at what everybody seems to be talking about?

Take the X-Files. That was a super-hot show all those years ago when it came out. '93 wasn't it? I never saw it. I just downloaded the first series the other week and now I can't sleep at night. I see what the fuss was about.

On the other hand, I was the first in my class to hear "Star Trekkin'".

But! When everyone at school was quoting the Red Dwarf I was left nodding knowingly and hoping no one would ask me about the show.

Nowadays I seem to be less and less interested in popular culture and try to catch up after it's passed its peak

Which side of the fence do you sit on?

Im not cool and I know it. I do stuff my own way and if thats percieved as cool then thats fine by me. If im not cool then i dont really give a toss to be honest.

Im about the only person bar the kiddies in our town who watches wrestling, Does that make me uncool? Who cares because I dont. i do what I want and I dont let or allow the views or others to change my outlook on that.

In the way of TV programmes etc I just try and watch what looks like it will appeal to me. If folk rave about a show a lot I probably will give it a watch but that's mainly so that I can have an informed opinion on it, I feel I can't slag something off or praise something if I haven't seen it.

I don't even think about being cool or not, it's not something I worry about. Like F2k I'm the only person in my little world away from net friends etc who has any interest in wrestling, let alone UK shows and I'm usually one of a few females who regulary goes to those shows aside from parents of youngsters, am I a geek? probably? or am I a trendetter? probably not, but who decides anyways? lol.

PS. The X Files was great before it went too daft!!

Goldy rushes off to read AC's Shaun Of The Dead post!! :D

I sometimes miss out on shows that other people watch, but I usually don't really make the effort to go out and see what the fuss is.

On the other hand, I often hear songs before everyone else, before they get big. "Bodies" by Drowning Pool is the best example. Everyone at my school was like "Mitch, you'll love this song, it's so cool, you gotta listen to it", and I'm like "Erm... I was listening to that nine months ago. Get with the times".

I don't know what any of that means, but I'd rather post now than look at it later and try to catch up and fit in.

Haha Draven. I was like that with Bring me To life by Evanescence and Control by Puddle of mudd. In fairness my musical taste is very unique and so a lot of the stuff I listen to like Sevendust, Cold etc I know not that many people here in Wyrley are gonna be listening to

I dont think im a trendsetter, i just do things and other people seem to catch onto it and it becomes popular, but im not a trend follower either.

I live in a very small town which has limited music and clothes stores so almost everyone ends up wearing the same and listening to the same stuff, so in order to avoid that i customise my clothes and get a dj friend of mine to remix the music i listen to.

Archived