The death of common sense

Nicole

Robbed from the Blues message board General chat forum

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend by the name of Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were lost long ago in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such value lessons as: knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not kids, are in charge).

His health began to rapidly deteriorate when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Finally, Common sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense finally gave up the ghost after a woman failed to realize that eating fast food every day would make you fat and decided to sue McDonald's.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepsisters; Mya Rights and Ima Whiner.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still know him, pass this on, if not, join the majority and do nothing

Great post nic i enjoyed it immensley.

I work a few nights a week as a screen printer to supplement my meagre income and earlier this week i accidently knocked the safety catch on the printing press while it was raised. The resulting meaty thud as it slammed down onto my hand was less than pleasant. I didn't break any bones, mostly it was superficial damage (a cut and a bruise with quite a bit of swelling) Now heres the kick. Upon hearing my torrent of swearwords at the offending inanimate object my boss came over and sent me off to accident and emergency in case i had a break. The next day when i came in this caring individuals first words were not How are you? Was it serious? or Do you feel okay? instead he gave me a disclaimer form to sign in case i decided to sue.

To me this trivila little incident reinforced what society has started to become. Are we really that jaded and f**ked up? We live in a big wide, beautiful world, surrounded by things of great beauty and wonderous awe yet all a lot of people can turn their minds to is get rich quick litigation schemes and political corect bullsh*t designed to stifle creative thought and turn us all into a bunch of automotant robots incapable of expression and abstract action that defies the expectation of the masses.

F**k that. I ripped that stupid form up and havent gone back since, and i dont think i will. I need money but i refuse to surround myself with people who obsess about covering their arses and watching what they say, by the same token i also refuse to surround myself with people who would pollute my existence with all this litigiously minded 'i'm gonna sue your ass' bollocks. It is no longer a question of me thinking that people of this ilk are sad or pathetic, when not a day goes by that something of this nature happens somewhee it makes me realise just how morraly bankrupt some people can be.

We are sinking people. Sinking in a godawful mire of close minded crap but i have come to the realisation that there is a way out. Don't close your mind off, don't let yourself be buried in the torrent of this bile that is spewed over us on a daily basis. Think, read, be creative, look for inspiration and try not to get too disheartened with what the world has become. The more of us who manage to stay afloat the better this world will be. Anyway, nonsensical rant over, dont hold it against me, i get frustrated from time to time

Peace

YEah, but never let your personal views ever get in the way of making money...

A job is a job... I know they need to cover themselves by law, but that is where common sense comes in... Was it your fault or theirs, do you need extra costing medication for you bashed hand?

The work place is the best reflection of our ever suicidal world... Human resourses? Human enema morelike!

Cost a few bob for some decent plasters but thats about it, it didnt affect my movement or anything like that. The thing that got me all frustrated was the sheer asinine compasionless robotic way they reacted to the accident and it's not just in work places, the more i pay attention to it the more i see it happening in all aspects of life. I think now more than ever we, as a race, are edging towards a 1984 style world and that disturbs me

Well done nic at last someone else realises whats happened to this once great race. We have become souless and havent got a clue what the consequences of our actions will be.

I used to smoke 40 fags a day, luckily i am one of the few people left in the world who has common sense to give up and never go back. Anyone remember the woman who sued Marlborough for getting cancer.

Half my family dont have the common sense they were born with. They all walk around not knowing what they are doing. My sister even tried to sue her mother for her getting fat because her mother was overweight. She didnt have a chance of winning because she lived 3 doors up from a kfc and was always in there, common sense is obviously not in her head.

Half the time i dont think i have common sense but then i ask myself what is common sense, is it the thing that makes u do the right thing or is it just something we believe we have that one day we will find out was never there to begin with.

I believe myself to have a certain amount of "common sense", where common sense is a persons ability to choose the right thing to do/action to take. I dont believe it is dead, not by a long shot, however there are many people (including various members of UK and US government) who seem to forget what common sense is for. Without it the world would be in even more of a state than it is now, for all those people who make wrong/bad decisions due to lack of common sense, there are just as many people correcting those errors/mistakes with their common sense.

Political correctness made a huge impact on the populations amount of CS, certain people in charge have taken PC to a whole new pathetic level, and thanks to that some "loyal" followers are taking these ideas no matter how stupid they are and running amok with them. Its a troubling state of affairs when the examples Nic used are actually occuring in everyday life, and that people all over the world are afraid to state their opinions in case they get prosecuted by their own government, without a radical change in national leadership things will remain the same. Political correctness has a place in this world, and thats in the trash at the bottom of the garden.

Well now, it seems that one or two of us have common sense, or do we just have a positive belief system ingrained into our hearts and minds.

Common sense is the sense all of us are supposed to possess, like how to use cutlery or not to stick metal objects into electrical sockets etc....

Unfortunately, the lack of common sense is down to living in a nanny state which the UK has become, don't say this or that and don't do this because it is discriminatory or predjudiced, is a nonsense.

All of us in one way or another is predjudiced(be honest) we don't like certain people for certain reasons, whatever they may be or however petty they may seem, predjudice exists in all of us. The problems arise when you use your predjudice as a way to victimise or make a minority of someone. Most of us are guilty of that at least once in our lifetimes because a) the person we are predjudiced against scares us or has the ability to humiliate us or b) and to a lesser degree is smaller and weaker than us.

Political correctness is for politicians, because they are slimy two faced assholes, who want each and everyone of us to become or to aspire to become like them.

However, we have more moral backbone than they do, so they attempt to erode our will by creating a society that has no common sense or the aspiration to have common sense, so that we then become insular and seperated from one another in some ways.

We are the majority they a small minority who run everything and it is not even the Prime Minister who holds the key to this power it is the beauracrats who exist in the same job in Whitehall no matter how many Prime Ministers come and go, these are the invisible people who control the level of common sense by the way they run this country and the education of it's people.

And sometimes it is the people that we ourselves have discriminated against in the past who gain this level of power over our lives and their bitterness toward the man on the street creates their uncaring attitude, this is how the world goes around.

The answer is become self reliant and self taught, make your own mistakes and your own decisions based on your knowledge of the world and try not to become jaded or bitter.

Nobody said it was going to be easy.

Spiritchaser.

Sensible Sensei