Chris Jericho: Your Opinions

Aaron

Posted this on another couple of forums but wanted a wide range of opinions. Opinions vary quite a bit. Some think he's the best in the WWE, others thing he is a mid-carder. Anyway, here's a copy of the post. I wanted your opinions too:

A lot of contrasting opinions around on the talent of Chris Jericho. I wondered what you think of him. What do you think of his promo work, his matches, ring-work, crowd-work, his gimmick, and does he deserve the WHC more than Triple H?

I’ll give my own personal view to an extent: When I switched onto WWE a few years back during my time away from wrestling, Chris Jericho came out to his music. My honest first impression was “Who the **** is this ****?” He was an obvious babyface and I was thinking, “The crowd loves this guy?” I have to say his instant impression wasn’t that of a believable World Champion to me who had never seen the show before.

Since I have been back into wrestling, now for over a year, I have caught up a lot on the time I missed. I’ve watched every major PPV, read a number of books and have recently got into the whole internet gig. In that time I’ve been impressed by the career Jericho has had. Mightily successful in his career before WWE and his WWE career we all know about.

Chris Jericho, in my opinion, puts on great matches. He works the crowd ok (I still don’t think he’s that charismatic) he sells very well and his moveset is a great mixture of all styles. I would be happy for him to be the World’s Champion because I think he can put on great main-event matches. That’s all that really matters from the fans that are already watching.

Does he do the best promos since the Rock like I hear from a lot of people on the internet? Personally, I don’t think his promos are that great. Take away the word “jackass” and what’s left? That’s my opinions: Y2J promos – overrated. And also I still don’t think he has that ‘aura’ about himself.

All in all, I have a lot of respect for Jericho and he’s one of my favourite performers in-ring. I also enjoy a lot of the angles he get’s and he delivers well. But Jericho isn’t the greatest talent on RAW by any means.

All this came about when I read somewhere that he is clumsy… no examples given, it was a statement passed off as fact. Is he clumsy? Is he stale? Should he be WHC? And are his promos “all that”?

Thanks.

I think Y2J is one of the best all round Superstars in WWE at the moment.

In the ring, he's excellent. When on the mic the crowd respond well ( better than when HHH is cutting a promo, the crowd just boo ) He's well liked by fans as well as the rest of the Raw roster and when I met him in Newcastle last year he was one of the coolest guys I've met :worship

There's only one thing I didn't like recently and that was the babyface turn from out of nowhere as I liked Jericho more as a heel but, anyway you can't have it all

Cheers for replying to me! Do people not talk much on here? I posted this on three other forums and received about 100 posts in total....

And when quoting someone on here is it the norm to post above the quote or below? I assume above like this...

Well, won't bother debating your opinion on Y2J. I just wanted to ask and get as many opinions online as I could! Suffice to say that if you think Jericho is the best right now on RAW you wouldn't be alone and if you think Jericho has been poor for two years you wouldn't be alone either!

Any more opinions? Come on folks, I'm new here. Don't put me off this place so soon!

I think Y2J is one of the best all round Superstars in WWE at the moment.

In the ring, he's excellent. When on the mic the crowd respond well ( better than when HHH is cutting a promo, the crowd just boo ) He's well liked by fans as well as the rest of the Raw roster and when I met him in Newcastle last year he was one of the coolest guys I've met :worship

There's only one thing I didn't like recently and that was the babyface turn from out of nowhere as I liked Jericho more as a heel but, anyway you can't have it all

Always been a big fan of Chris Jericho, especially from back in WCW and even his stint in ECW. He has always been under-rated no matter where he has been and has always deserved more than he got. Y2J is great in the ring and on the mic, one of the best all-rounders in the business in my opinion.

When Jericho was on WCW I'll be honest I never took much attention. Nor did I when he made an appearance on RAW or for the next couple months until I think it was Backlash of 2000 in an Intercontintel Championship match with the newly aquired Chris Benoit. An absolutely fantastic match which really got me liking Jericho.

Of course at this time I was a massive Rock fan so it was hard to really draw my focus away from Rock but Jericho managed to do it. Over the course of the Summer I grew to love the Kurt Angle vs Triple H feud. Rocks feuding with whomever was in the title picture and of course Jericho competing over the Intercontinental Title. The Autumn and what followed was truely dreadful feud with X-Pac and then with Kane. And for a time I stopped being interested in what Y2J was doing. There were better feuds taking place so my attention was on those. Up until just after WrestleMania, although in and around the Intercontinental title he wasnt really doing much. Then after Triple H got injured and Taker and Kane dropped out of the running we had Benoit and Jericho fueding with Austin over the title even following with a match at King Of the Ring that was truely devasting for both Jericho and Benoit. Not so much in it was a bad match but after that Jericho was dropped from the title picture and Benoit broke his neck. The Alliance came in and then Jericho was feuding with Rhyno up until Unforgiven. Then No Mercy and a match took place that was truely resounding for me. The Rock vs Chris Jericho for the WCW Championship. Quite simply the best match of the entire year. Of course there had been some great matches like Taker vs HHH and even TLC 2 but this topped everything. My year had already been solidifyed as a great one when one of my favourite wrestlers Edge won the King Of the Ring and then the IC title. But this match proved that the Alliance angle wasnt a failure. Jericho turned Tweener almost heel. After Survivor Series we had Kurt and Austin and Rock vs Jericho feuds happening resulting in the title match at Vengeance-renamed from Armageddon because of 9/11. And Jericho did the unthinkable and went from being IC Title good guy to full blown heel World Champion. And I absolutely loved it.

After that early 2002 his feuding with Triple H was vastly under rated in my eyes. The main event at WrestleMania a superb match but was over shadowed by the greatest match of all time Rock vs Hogan that took place earlier in the night. the rest of 2002 was rather forgettable for Jericho as he was put in the tag team but what a tag team. Jericho and Christian were my favourite Canadian pairing since E and C. Jericho of course in the elimination chamber but after that he started his feud with HBK. And quite simply he and HBK had the 2nd greatest match of all time at WrestleMania when they blew the roof off the Safeco Field in Seattle. Ever since Jericho has been out in mid card feuds and not really ever given a chance to fight for the World title despite him even turning face again and being probably the most over guy in WWE.

I seriously hope that WWE give Jericho a push in the future rather than pushing others less over and less talented than Jericho. Probably the best all round wrestler int he word and a guy I love to watch.

And quite simply he and HBK had the 2nd greatest match of all time at WrestleMania when they blew the roof off the Safeco Field in Seattle.

I have to agree with you on that. HBK v Y2J at WMXIX was one of the best matches I have seen in a WWF/E ring. The timing and pace was phenominal throughout. The only disappointment was that Jericho lost, as I felt the win would benefit Y2J more than Michaels.

I still would rate Benoit above Jericho though. Watch the Benoit DVD and marvel at Benoit's early years.

Does anybody else think it's great that WWE owns the video libraries of WCW and ECW. Now we can get the complete history of a wrestler rather than the revised,(ok, less revised), history that we used to recieve.

I mean, imagine the best of Ric Flair if they didin't have access to his non WWF/E carreer. It would have been 25mins long.

I look forwrd to the Rise and Fall of ECW dvd. Then the fans who are not aware of that company can see how influential it was and how many superstars got their big break or did their best stuff without being told you can't do this or that. Long Live ECW.

HDC

I think Y2J would make a great WHC at the moment and could be used in feuds with people like Edge, Benoit, Randy Orton or HBK for all the reasons mentioned in the earlier posts. The problem is I don't give a rats ass about who the champion is at the moment until HHH gives us all a rest and drops out of the title picture for longer than one month. I think a feud between any of Y2J, Edge, Benoit, Orton or HBK would be quality as to be honest who wants to see another HHH / HBK match as they have had about 4 matches to end their lifelong rivalry in the last year alone!

Talking of Benoit's early years in this thread... for me Benoit is the best in the world. Better than Eddie, better than Danielson, better than Kobashi, better than Liger. He's just the best in the world today imo! His work in Japan was phenomenal. Anyone else see his work in the Super J Cup '94? Breathtaking. Jericho was in the Super J Cup of 95... no comparison between the two of them. Anyway, am I going off topic here?

Thanks for your opinions guys. This seems to be a very much pro-Jericho board!

I've always liked Jericho, although for him to be any more than a midcarder for life, he needs a gimmick or attitude change. He's still peddling the same gimmick as when he was knocking around in WCW in 1998. We are now 6 years on, and in ring is fine, but he's just getting rather stale, needs to try something different.

My opinion on Chris Jericho often varies, When he's on form he can be one of the most exciting talents on RAW, Unfortunatly he's not always giving it his all in my eyes. Which is when he starts making mistakes and botching various moves, It's especially evident if he's not involved in a big feud or involved in a PPV event which isn't one of the big 4.

The match with HBK at WMXIX is a prime example of Jericho at his very best, It's just a shame that he doesn't perform like that all the time.

Promo wise Jericho is probably the top man on the roster right now, With The Rock out of the way and Steve Austin gone, It's just a shame he ruins that sometimes by repeating the same lines over and over which will never work as legit catchphrases. Jericho as far as I'm concerned is a solid upper mid card performer...Who can be thrown into the main event times and still not look out of place. I don't think he'll ever be the World Champion again...But he'll probably be around the title scene soon enough.

My opinion on Chris Jericho often varies, When he's on form he can be one of the most exciting talents on RAW, Unfortunatly he's not always giving it his all in my eyes. Which is when he starts making mistakes and botching various moves, It's especially evident if he's not involved in a big feud or involved in a PPV event which isn't one of the big 4.

The match with HBK at WMXIX is a prime example of Jericho at his very best, It's just a shame that he doesn't perform like that all the time.

Promo wise Jericho is probably the top man on the roster right now, With The Rock out of the way and Steve Austin gone, It's just a shame he ruins that sometimes by repeating the same lines over and over which will never work as legit catchphrases. Jericho as far as I'm concerned is a solid upper mid card performer...Who can be thrown into the main event times and still not look out of place. I don't think he'll ever be the World Champion again...But he'll probably be around the title scene soon enough.

That's a great post mate and I think I will agree with you out of all the people I have spoken online with regarding Chris Irvine.