Animal Rights

Paul

After the fox hunting thread I thought it could be interesting to get peoples views on animal testing, both medical and non medical, and other animal rights things.

Now I hate cosmetic testing on animals. Why drip perfume into a rabbits eye to see what happens? Really? Its stupid and I think preety much everyone would agree with that.

But, its medical testing that is the big debater. Many people say that medical testing on animals produces no results as far as humans go, with the different body chemistries and all, but I disagree.

Yes, there have been times where mistakes were made one way or another, but remember that 2 VERY important drugs were developed thanks to animal testing:

insulin, made from horses,

creon, made from pigs.

These drugs would not have been found if it wasnt for testing on animals.

And a cure for cancer could be found from testing on sharks! As it has been found out that sharks cant get cancer!

But what do you think?

I think they should test on sharks as much as possible. Get rid of the horrible things and get them off our planet. People should eat more shark, kill more shark and test on more shark.

Of course I don't mean that. It's a difficult one for me. I struggle to justify killing or torturing or testing on any living thing just for our own good but at the same time I can see how easy it is to justify the work that is done.

My belief's pretty much mean that I am against it and don't see any reason why we have more right to life than they do, just because we have more developed brains or something yet I wouldn't knock anyone for having the view that the work is neccessary and worthwhile as i can very much see their point of view.

I'm a massive supporter of Animal rights, I love animals and personally if I ever saw someone mistreating an animal I'd probably want to kill them (unless it was say a stick wielding maniac or the like, which instead I would call the police on).

I hope to next year or the year after do Animal Welfare law as one of my honours classes, and almost wanted to become a vet instead of studying law.

It just so turns out that's one of the few things I don't like about the EU, in mainland Europe they don't see animal rights as important, which is why such a thing as a common agricultural policy is a horrible idea since whilst in say Scotland animals that say end up on your plate are more likely to have been treated ok whilst alive, in Spain there's guys shoving about a million cows into one mincing machine shouting "WE NEED MORE COW".

No I'm not a vegetarian because I realise that you have to eat meat to be healthy, its part of nature, but the way that animals are treated is very important. I mean for instance I only buy free range eggs, and I'm a bloody student.

Hope my point makes sense, since I realise I just said I support animal rights but I like to eat them... haha

So be nice to animals OR ELSE. :)

Edited by Simon

Death row inmates....yeah,yeah, I know that may also be inhumane, but so is whatever the bastards done to get in that situation.

So, "Twisted" as it may be, I say use them somabitches for medical testing...my hard earned tax dollar goes to keeping those wastes of flesh alive, so they might as well be doing the community some good right?

Cosmetic testing as well, could you imagin some hard ass serial killer forced to wear make up for up to 12 hours a day, not to mention that perfume in the eye thing :lol!

These sicos think that they could use people for whatever means they desire in there Twisted minds...so whats wrong with making an example.

You do the crime, you pay the price!

-The Maxx; for population control!

P.S.Oh yeah, leave those poor defencles amimals alone before I kick your ass!

Interestingly enough, by testing on mice they found they can switch off the cancer gene....

Not gonna put my own personal view for animal testing, but think about the missed discoveries if we hadn't.

Though I was told once, laboratory rodents live longer than their natural counterparts (ie no disease, predators etc) and therefore have a better quality of life before the electroreceptor is rammed into their spinal chord.

Saracen

I beleive in the right to live freely no matter what creature you are, life itself is the only precious commodity.

Things can be made again but when you are dead and gone, there is no return for you, so life is precious no matter the coil you stand up in.

I think though about the missed opportunities, and have written many poems about this. Imagine if it was found that the cure for cancer or any other disease could have been found in the albumen(white) of Dodo Eggs, or AIDS could be cured by Passenger Pigeon spit, or Alzheimers prevented by Moa earwax whatever!

We have used and abused this planet and it's inhabitants for centuries.

I also think that somewhere on the Dark Side of The Moon there is a Universal Council in session, discussing whether or not we deserve to be brought into the Council of Planets, when we cannot do anything except be parasites on our own home planet.

Why would they have us? Would you?

And this freaks me out when I think about it:

Imagine you are 25 years old and you lose your temper and kill somebody, right, then imagine that you are fifty and you are crossing the road and a car runs you down and kills you, yeah. Then just before you phase shift, you are given reruns of your life and it turns out that the person you killed when you were 25 was destined to be crossing the road from the other side and was supposed to save your life, but of course because you killed them, you now have shuffled off this mortal coil. :eek

Now think on that Playa. :help

Spiritchaser

Outside the Box

Edited by Spiritchaser

Death row inmates....yeah,yeah, I know that may also be inhumane, but so is whatever the bastards done to get in that situation.

So, "Twisted" as it may be, I say use them somabitches for medical testing...my hard earned tax dollar goes to keeping those wastes of flesh alive, so they might as well be doing the community some good right?

Cosmetic testing as well, could you imagin some hard ass serial killer forced to wear make up for up to 12 hours a day, not to mention that perfume in the eye thing :lol!

These sicos think that they could use people for whatever means they desire in there Twisted minds...so whats wrong with making an example.

You do the crime, you pay the price!

You are a genius, a true genius. We need a use for those useless prisoners. American prison inmates have it WAY too easy. I know. Several of the guys who work out at my gym are prison guards. I work in prison ministry. The inmates eat better than many of us, get free college, get to work out, and don't pay rent. They get free cable TV for crying out loud.

Prison is SUPPOSED to be hard on you. It's SUPPOSED to be a place you want to leave and never return to. At this time, at least in America, it is not so.

I think that prisoners should be put to work. Build roads, tote loads, dig ditches, shovel cow poop, etc... Contribute to society. Do medical testing on them. Use them to test new things like antidotes for Nuke/Bio/Chem contamination, HIV, etc...

It costs somewhere around $70,000 a year to keep one inmate. One! I don't make near that much a year. I want my tax dollars worth out of the scumbag degenerates.

I wonder who you'll be voting for in November? :P

I don't know why, but reading this thread is actually disturbingly reminding me a lot about what they try to do in that book "Rainbow 6" by Tom Clancy...

Make prisoners work for society yes, digging roads etc... doing medical testing on them is realllllllllly a controversial issue and one personally I think I'd be against.

Look... I just said I loved animals!

Edited by Simon

You want crule and unusual...OK, sure!

Take that $70,000 spent to house an immate annualy and you build a cheep rocket!

You fill it with death row inmates and ship the bastards twords the damn Sun!

How's that for "Twisted!"?

Plus, you mount hidden cameras in the rocket and once a week for a hour you broadcast it on the fox network...

BINGO... the ultimate extreme reality show!

You wanna get the crime rate down?

Try that! :devil

Cactus why don't you come over here then and I'll plug an electrode into your brain... then perhaps you may change your mind!

Medical testing is perhaps justified where some exceptions could be made assuming its just rodents involved. When things like guinea pigs and rabbits and anything larger get involved its just sick.

There's the problem that if you allow it for medical testing, that its open to abuse and before you know it they also start bending the rules a bit, so in my opinion nein to that one.

I'm sorry but I'm a naturalist in a way and I think that you can't save everyone from every disease... nature does not intend it that way. I lost my Gran years ago to cancer, but I'm not for prodding animals with funny tools to get a cure for it in the future.

I mean this is me generalising, most medical research I'm sure doesn't actually involve animals, it's purely a hypothetical point I'm making.

Your a naturalist who thinks a rodents life is less worthy than a guinea pig, which kinda contradictes your argument. I say test for the big stuff, like Cancer and terminal diseases, but anything else is pointless and cruel. And please don't give me that about not messing with nature, I feel I have as much to comment on this as anyone having lost someone close to a similar disease. If ramming prods up a hamsters arse could have saved them then I would do it personally. Because I do value human life over animals. Hell I say get the murderes, rapists and pheadophiles up there and ram electrodes up them, which I also would gladly do personally. They haven't contributed anything but misery towards humanity, so give them a chance to rectify it.

Fair enough, that is your opinion. But I'm sorry but my belief that you don't mess with nature actually stems from my relgious morals, which I'd prefer people didn't question.

And there is a distinction between rodents and other animals, which is why they are distinguished as rodents. Other than their place on the food chain, rodents serve no purpose, kind of like wasps. If you want to test on wasps whilst we're at it, then by all means do so.

But of course if you insisted on having the testing done I'd rather you used murderers, rapist and paedos! :)

Just do it on paedos, murderers and rapists, as those two suggested. They have no right for anything to be honest, paedophilia is absolutely sick, murders nearly as bad but paedophile victims have to live with whats happened, so do most rape victims. Try every nasty disease out on them, give them a taste of what hurt and pain they've caused.

Just do it on paedos' date=' murderers and rapists, as those two suggested. They have no right for anything to be honest, paedophilia is absolutely sick, murders nearly as bad but paedophile victims have to live with whats happened, so do most rape victims. Try every nasty disease out on them, give them a taste of what hurt and pain they've caused.[/quote']

Well said Nic!

In the case of the victims of such crimes as pedophilia and rape, The victim should have the say in what punishment the criminal should have to endure!

No holds barred, anything goes!

Smoking The Smoke

What in the name of Jesus Christ have you been smoking ? because i have been really high in my time but you just took the biscuit man.

I am smoke dude, think on that.

As for the other statements, ideal prisons guys, you wouldn't want to go there would you, and those who think it is harsh, it is harsh to work all your life and have some scumbag damage you in some way he or she sees fit and then they are given free room and board and fed better than most people outside, there are starving children in parts of this so called civilised world, who have never been given a chance at life, whilst mass murderers, rapists, paedophiles and other evil bastards are living it up in prison with Sky or Cable TV and are warm and well fed, and why? Simple, because they have bleeding heart do gooders trying to change them, and the sad fact is about 5 in a hundred actually do change because they want to, if it were down to me, I would lop off the offending body parts, Murderers, Hands Off. Rapists and Paedos, Penis and Testes Away, and so on and so forth.

There needs to be crime prevention especially now as more and more children are being caught up in the cowardly acts of so called adults.

It is simple logic, but too many folks use their hearts when the shouldn't and use their heads when they should use their hearts.

Spiritchaser

Smoke through a Keyhole.