Retro

Inno

What did the Strokes and the White Stripes start? Now we have Jet, Razorlight, Rooster, Kasabian and seemingly a thousand other bands all jumping on the "let's sound like Iggy & the Stooges or AC/DC from the 70s" bandwagon.

I like that sound, granted, but I'd rather there was some newer cutting edge RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROCK hitting the airplay lists.

What did the Strokes and the White Stripes start? Now we have Jet, Razorlight, Rooster, Kasabian and seemingly a thousand other bands all jumping on the "let's sound like Iggy & the Stooges or AC/DC from the 70s" bandwagon.

I like that sound, granted, but I'd rather there was some newer cutting edge RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROCK hitting the airplay lists.

retro is cool now look at the music list on Tony Hawk UnderGround 2 a fair few oldies or in there such as Sugarhill gang, Frank Sinatra, Johnny Cash, The Doors and Iggy & The Stoogies

Thats just the way it is. Music goes through stages all the time. Now im not a music fanatic but even I know that. To be fair though it is pretty easy to spot the bandwagon hoppers. No i don't think these guys will be around once this fads over, just like Pulp left the radar once th brit pop era ended. The really talented ones who started it (Blur, Oasis) stayed because they were flexible and not one trick ponys.

Except Blur and Oasis didn't start it. If it weren't for The Beatles, The Byrds, The La's, The Kinks, Stone Roses etc, there would be no such thing as Oasis and Blur. Every band has influences etc. And Pulp didn't fall off the radar, I mean they released This Is Hardcore in 1997, which is a really good album, but because it wasn't the witty dialated indie pop they were known for, it didn't catch on. Heck Oasis haven't changed in the slightest since their debut 10 years ago. Some bands take risks, some don't. It either pays off or not. but everything goes around and comes around.

Yeah I suppose you could say about any band that they wouldn't be here if it wasn't for someone else. But I think the point Inno's making is that some bands make stuff specifically designed to cash in on the current fad. And then, once the fads over, they havent got any ideas of thier own and dissapear. Oasis was a bad example on my part I have to admit, especially as there early stuff can't be touched by anything they've done recently.

I don't think any band really cashes in on a fad, well certainly not the bands like The Datsuns, Jet etc, cause even when the fad goes, they'll still be playing the same music, its just the record company found them at the right time, not their fault. They were brought up listening to AC/DC, Led Zep etc, so play like it. Sure its rehashed, but so is everything, but I'd never call it cashing in on it. Who knows they all might change, like many bands have done, but at the moment when your albums are selling millions with what you are doing, why change it? Lame I know, but they'd be stupid too. If, when the times come, people want something different, or the bands get tired, then we'll see what happens.

Archived