Controversy over hoax gameshow for criminals

Kam

From Digital Spy:

Controversy over hoax gameshow for criminals

11:26 BST, Wednesday 6th October 2004 -- by Neil Wilkes

A number of 'wanted' criminals were invited along to a TV gameshow they didn't know was fake, only to find themselves under arrest instead.

Hampshire Police sent out letters to people wanted for a range of offences including outstanding fines, traffic offences, common assault, criminal damage, drink-driving, drugs and bail offences.

Twenty unsuspecting contestants turned up at the Portsmouth Guildhall on Sunday for the 'Great Big Giveaway Show', hosted by Neil and Christine Hamilton.

One by one the offenders were brought from seclusion to the main stage, along a red carpet and straight into the hands of two waiting police officers.

Barry Hugill, spokesman for civil liberties campaign group Liberty, described the event as a "distasteful" PR stunt.

"I clearly have no objection to the police tracking down petty offenders and people who have not paid their fines, but not if it becomes part of showbusiness," Hugill told BBC News Online.

"A crime is something that is very serious and it cannot be treated like a game show. Police will at times use covert measures but the way this has become entertainment is distasteful."

The entire event was recorded by Five and is due to air on the channel later this year.

:lol

I cant wait to watch that. How stupid do some people get?

It reminds me of Channel 5's "SWAG". now that was funny.

Some kids would get into the back of a lorry, looking to twock some stuff, when they get locked up in it and the sides come down to reveal bars and they get driven round town as criminals!!

Awesome stuff.

they've already donethis before, and I personally thought it ruled. It was one of the MacIntyre programmes. Not sure if this will be the same thing but I'm guessing it will be.

It was great first time round, and I'm sure it will be again. They're criminals, and this was a way to catch people who would never have been caught otherwise. so what if it makes television out of it. Fairplay, I loved watching those idiots get what they deserved.

God damn 'civil liberties' groups. Politically correct stuck up narrow minded interfering asses, who seem to spend more time b*tching about criminal and terrorist rights than those who actually deserve it. To be honest the biggest injustice about this whole thing is that The Hamiltons are yet again allowed on TV. If exploiting these criminals desire to appear on Five, (where they'll most likely feel right at home. It has more Bush and Gore than the last US elections) gets them under lock and key then I say go for it. Man, if this doesn't get edited then I'll buy a Heidenrich T-shirt and walk around quoting poetry.

Homer: Up and away in my beautiful my beautiful motor boat! Da da da da!

Bart: But we didn't enter any police raffle.

Homer: That doesn't matter, the important thing is we won.

[parks]

Marge: I don't know, there's something very peculiar about

this!

Homer: Sheesh! You're the most paranoid family I've ever been

affiliated with.

Archived