Batista: The Next Big Thing?

Dickie Hyde

Well, this question has been bugging me for a long time now, as Dave Batista of RAW seems to me to have so much potential.

He reminds me of Brock Lesnar when he first started out in the WWE, and he made it to the top, now one can only feel that it's Dave's turn for stardom.

He matches up to Lesnar is size and strength, if not more. JR has quoted many times that Batista does not know his own strength. As Paul Heyman once said on the Brock Lesnar DVD: Here Comes The Pain, "no body was talking this clay, and molding him"

That seems to me to be the same situation with Batista. Right now he's a piece of clay, and he's probably in the best situation he could ask to be in, and that's working with Triple H and Ric Flair.

"It puts him on the fast track" (Triple H - RAW magazine) The bottom line is Batista needs to be molded, he needs to learn a lot more mat skills to be successful, whilst learning how to utilize his size and strength to the best of his ability. His mic skills certainly aren't bad, but they could do with some touching up.

What do you all think about this man Batista? Where do you think he stands in the WWE right now and where do you see him in say, 2 years down the line? Before the talk was all about Cena and Orton headlining future events, well IMO I think we could be seeing Orton and Batista doing exactly that, if of course, the WWE use Dave correctly...

The fact he reminds you of Brock Lesnar isn't a good thing though in my opinion. I don't think Batistaberg is the next big thing I just think he's another Goldberg immitation.

Brockberg was a lot more talented than Batistaberg and any comparison between the two just highlights how much better Brock is than Batista.

The fact he reminds you of Brock Lesnar isn't a good thing though in my opinion. I don't think Batistaberg is the next big thing I just think he's another Goldberg immitation.

Brockberg was a lot more talented than Batistaberg and any comparison between the two just highlights how much better Brock is than Batista.

For a start, Brock Lesnar is nothing like Bill Goldberg. Lesnar had much more talent than Goldberg, and, I presume, more love for the business. (he seemed more intense anyway)

It seems to me that you are comparing every big man with Golderg? Goldberg is a bad example of a big man, IMO, Brock Lesnar set the standards for the future.

I never said that Batista is anything yet, I said he has potential, and the chance to be moulded and to shine. I am just hoping that his love for the business is more than Lesnar or Goldberg had put together, and as I said above, while he's working with Hunter and Flair, he can't go far wrong...

For a start, Brock Lesnar is nothing like Bill Goldberg. Lesnar had much more talent than Goldberg, and, I presume, more love for the business. (he seemed more intense anyway)

so much more love he went to play football? Brockberg actually was a lot like Goldberg if you really look at it. Similar intensity and at times similar dominating persona. I'm not saying Brock didn't have talents that Goldberg didn't but to see he is nothing like him is completely ridiculous.

I don't compare every big man to Goldberg. I just think that after what Goldberg did in WCW and the way he was pushed lots of people have tried to immitate that intensity and promotions have tried to push them in the same way.

If you ever saw Batista wrestle as Leviathan in OVW you'll see why I think he's such a copy. Back then he really was just a carbon copy of goldberg but with an occult sinister gimmick. He's not bad, he's just not that good either.

Well, no, I didn't see Batista back in OVW, but I took your comments as to how Batista is in the ring now, how most people see him. I do not see him as anything like Bill Goldberg. Back then Batista probabaly was, I could see that happening.

I think Lesnar was a lot more talented tan Goldberg, infact, I know it.

But the point i'm getting at is, with credentials that are similar to Brock Lesnar, Batista right now is a piece of clay, and I'm sure you don't doubt that. He needs to be moulded and as I've said before working with Flair and Tripps is the righr way to go about it.

You've got to admit, with the potential Batista shows, with the right moulding, he really could be something. I think he would make a much better main-eventer than John Cena, who I feel is vastly over-rated. But if the WWE go by popularity means, then John Cena will win. He was popularity over almost every casual fan...

I don't know. Back in his OVW days I saw a lot of potential in Batista and really thought he could be moulded into something a bit special. the raw talent and potential was definitely there.

These days watching him though I just see a pretty average big man that works a bit too stiff and hurts his opponents at times.

His time of being able to hide in evolution in order to get better groomed needs to be given an ending date, so he can 'break' away from them and get back to being the potential devastator he should be - his appearence screams 'HEEEEEL', so he needn't change his perspective, just the way he'd use it.

He needs out of Evolution and go on a rampage, as I once said before. :P

I LOVE Batista.

He is definitely in the right place just now as a member of Evolution, and needs an IC run. I still maintain that he should have won the triple threat between him, Edge and Jericho for the IC, and that Edge and Jericho could have had a non-title feud that would still mean something.

IC title, then later down the line a future WWE champion. Beside Flair his mic skills will keep getting better and man his powerbomb looks brilliant. In time he could be the man.

Much MUCH better than that moron Heidenrich. Batista can actually wrestle, and as long as they continue to take their time, Batista is definitely future main event material.

Well, this question has been bugging me for a long time now, as Dave Batista of RAW seems to me to have so much potential.

He reminds me of Brock Lesnar when he first started out in the WWE, and he made it to the top, now one can only feel that it's Dave's turn for stardom.

He matches up to Lesnar is size and strength, if not more. JR has quoted many times that Batista does not know his own strength. As Paul Heyman once said on the Brock Lesnar DVD: Here Comes The Pain, "no body was talking this clay, and molding him"

That seems to me to be the same situation with Batista. Right now he's a piece of clay, and he's probably in the best situation he could ask to be in, and that's working with Triple H and Ric Flair.

"It puts him on the fast track" (Triple H - RAW magazine) The bottom line is Batista needs to be molded, he needs to learn a lot more mat skills to be successful, whilst learning how to utilize his size and strength to the best of his ability. His mic skills certainly aren't bad, but they could do with some touching up.

What do you all think about this man Batista? Where do you think he stands in the WWE right now and where do you see him in say, 2 years down the line? Before the talk was all about Cena and Orton headlining future events, well IMO I think we could be seeing Orton and Batista doing exactly that, if of course, the WWE use Dave correctly...

I always thought exactly that. Dave is a beast, he has (what i feel) the most devastating finisher in the business, and it actually looks believable taking out big guys (imagine him doing it to Kane). His mic skills are getting better, and his ring work is also. Not close to being on par with Brock, but he has the heart and willingness to get better.

Batista may be of a similar size and appearence to Brock but he is nowhere near as talented. The fact is that Brock was such a breakout star not only because he was big and angry but because he was also a fundamentally sound mat wrestler (unusual for a big guy) with effective looking power moves and he had a lot of talent on the mic after learning from paul heyman. Batista has the power moves down but his wrestling ability and general in ring awarness is not up to scratch yet and his promos have so far been restricted to growling and heavy breathing. What people were saying about him having the potential to be molded is understandable but being moulded and influenced by other, higher profile, wrestlers can only take you so far. There will come a point down the line where Batista is called upon to carry a feud on his own merits and be succesful by himself and i'm just not sure i can see him do that. I'm not saying he's not talented i just do not think he has the skills to be anything like as big a star as Lesnar, i see him in an upper midcard role, not drawing material.

I LOVE Batista.

He is definitely in the right place just now as a member of Evolution, and needs an IC run. I still maintain that he should have won the triple threat between him, Edge and Jericho for the IC, and that Edge and Jericho could have had a non-title feud that would still mean something.

IC title, then later down the line a future WWE champion. Beside Flair his mic skills will keep getting better and man his powerbomb looks brilliant. In time he could be the man.

Much MUCH better than that moron Heidenrich. Batista can actually wrestle, and as long as they continue to take their time, Batista is definitely future main event material.

Totally agree with that. I'm a big fan of DAVE and I think he is probably the best big guy in the WWE. I'd really have liked him to get the IC belt as like Simon mentioned there, Edge and Jericho really don't need that belt to have a good feud. Both those guys have held the IC Belt many times and giving it to the big man would have been something different.

• Like 1

Definitely great potential, but the only similarity I see with Lesnar at the moment is that they're both big. Seriously, I don't see Batista getting to Brock's level of all-round and in-ring ability. However, I agree, maybe it's time he was given the chance to sink or swim.

When Lesnar came in, he was pushed to the moon, which is treatment that Dave hasn't been afforded. Lesnar had some very good matches and feuds along the way with the likes of The Rock, Undertaker, even Hogan. They made him look like a million bucks until he was ready, and last year Lesnar proved himself to be on the verge of becoming a really outstanding worker. Seriously - from not talking and looking extremely green in 2002, in 2003 Lesnar really made his title mean something, was great on the mike (no Jake Roberts, granted, but still good) and put over opponents like Eddie Guerrero and Kurt Angle in some great matches.

Now like I said, Batista hasn't been afforded the chance, but I honestly wasn't sure for a while (I'm still not) whether he'd excel if he was given it. He had a match with Michaels (and feud) last December at Armageddon and it wasn't anything special. Now if Michaels couldn't get a good match out of him, I reckoned that he was in trouble. But he's really grown on me. I don't love him or anything, but he's improved a lot over the past few months. Hopefully he'll go on improving. I know he's not the finished article but he's a lot better than Heidenreich.

It doesn't do him any favours comparing him to Lesnar or Goldberg though. Say what you want about them, but Lesnar proved himself to be an outstanding talent, and while Goldberg was limited in the ring he was a major player and crowd-puller. Maybe Batista will get there - but it'll take time.

The difference between Goldberg and Lesnar is that Brock knew how to sell and had no problem with that.

Old Bill said so himself that he wants to appear ass some kickass machine that takes no crap. That way, he thinks it looks more realistic.

To me that says "I wanna beat as many people as I can, sell for no-one and put no-one over"

Borck also knew how to wrestle and thats where I prefered Brock, because he'd use wrestling holds rather than just stand in the ring, spitting and pulling dafts faces, not seeling Flair's chops. Look at Beniot, when Naitch chops him he sells it like he's had his chest slashed with a chainsaw. He doesnt stand there looking hard.

So the two are different in that sense.

The only thing they have in common is that they're big, and use power moves.

But Brock made a match look more realistic, unlike Goldberg who thinks that finishing a worthy opponant off in 1 minute is believable..yeah right.

I'd love to see Lesnar back any day. Goldberg? No way.

I'd be happy to never see his ugly bald head again.

Big Dave has all the potential, but none of the luck. He had a ridicuously brief flirtation with the IC Title, which should have been his leg-up as he performed excellently but for whatever reason he got pulled from it. :?

Creative (HHH) strikes again when someone starts to get themselves over with the fans and they (he) doesn't like it anyone? ;)

Big Dave has all the potential, but none of the luck. He had a ridicuously brief flirtation with the IC Title, which should have been his leg-up as he performed excellently but for whatever reason he got pulled from it. :?

Creative (HHH) strikes again when someone starts to get themselves over with the fans and they (he) doesn't like it anyone? ;)

No, not anyone? ;). Why strike at HHH without any proof? It happens all too often these days; don't critisize without proof. Why the hell would Hunter hold Dave down? He'd want him to rise if anything. What's wrong with Dave having an IC title run? It's not interfering with Tripps he isn't the only member of the creative team you know... :roll