Introducing folk to the wrestling

A.C.

Last night I went to Lloyd's house. I took a couple movies and stuff cause he's off work with a surgically repaired toe. In addition to the movies I took along an old ECW DVD, WMXX and Michinoku Pro's 10th Anniversary show.

The man is now hooked on the stuff.

During the ECW stuff he was marking like a mad-man for the crazy bumps, the flaming branding irons and the half-naked trailer-trash. During WMXX he liked the backgrounds and storylines and found the whole thing damned intriguing. But what he loved most is Tiger Mask, Dragon Kid et al. He was out of his seat swearing like a sailor at some of the martial-arts-inspired moves, the acrobatics and the selling-like your-dead-ness of it all.

We often have topicshere discussing the fact that being a wrestling fan can be a little embarrassing but has anyone had a positive experience with a completely un-smartened-up friend?

Yes. In 2 years I managed to transform my best mate at uni from being a complete hater of wrestling to being an absolutely massive mark. And guess what it started with?

An ECW DVD. Path of Destruction I think infact. It had something special about it which meant that they could probably think to themselves "yeh well this isnt really wrestling so I'll watch it".

By the end of the year the guy was marking out when Big Show won the world title against Lesnar. Don't ask me how it happened but it was quite interesting to see. Both of us were completely marking out for Wrestlemania XX and although he was a Benoit hater even my mate appreciated the main event and realised the right thing happened.

Again its insane, it didn't really even stop there since the guy loves the luchadores as well. And without my influence he hated HHH. :)

I just think that wrestling is one of these things that you either love or hate... kinda like soap operas. When some people give it a chance they really can end up liking it, but theres always the whole embarassment of liking wrestling. But this guy listens to Barry Manilow at times so I think that's not an issue.

But then when you do something like make Bradshaw your world champion (someone which no casual fan cares about... and most remember just as a tag team nobody) you pretty much ruin the chances of something like that happening again in the future.

Well my girlfreind had a passing interest in wrestling when I met her. Basically it was cos her little brother watched it (he would've been about 11/12 at the time) and she found the big guys like Steve Austin, The Rock and HHH entertaining. Plus she fancied some of them like Jeff Hardy and The Rock, don't underestimate that :lol I remember one of our first conversations actually was about Booker T. She said she hated him. I was aghast!

Slowly but surely though, through my influence I might add :D, she's become a bit more of a hardcore fan than she was. For example, she's read both Mick Foley books, The Rock's book, she watches Raw and Smackdown every week, etc. So in other words, she was a casual fan, now she's a fully-fledged wrestling nut.

It's been said, but if people just gave it a chance, they're usually pleasantly surprised with how much they enjoy it. But yeah - it'll be more difficult now in 2004. If I was trying to make someone a fan now, I'd definitely be digging out some old shows rather than advise them to watch Raw or Smackdown

probably the only person Ive ever got to watch it would be my mom. And she wasnt hard to convince, back when i first started watching again in 1999/2000 All i watched at one point was SmackDown because well RAW was on later than my bedtime lol. Anyways I watched and she also allowed me to watch the repeats of the pay per views. Anyways the one day I had to go out so my mom taped SmackDown for me and watched it.

When I came back she told me exactly how everything had gone on and what not and I was shocked. She said it wasnt that bad. Anyway soon after I started to stay up for RAW every Friday night and it became a tradition of RAW Friday night, and then i would go down my Nans house and watch SmackDown with my grandad at 11am every Saturday morning. Oh yeah my grandad enjoyed watching it with me lol. He used to complain at Hogans age, and laugh at Kirk angle (yep he said it too). However he was a big fan of the Undertaker and Kane. Anyways when he had Sky cut off i stayed at home to watch SD in the morning and visited him in the afternoon. of course now hes no longer with us but when he was dying in hospital me and my mom went to see Passport to Pain. My mom didnt enjoy it because she was thinking of my grandad but he had told me to have a good time. Which of course I did and the day after he really wanted to hear about who I had seen and what had happened. it really cheered him up to hear how I had seen his favourite The Undertaker and had seen kirk Angle lol.

Anyways thats my story, my grandad passed away at 8pm in November 4th 2003.

But what he loved most is Tiger Mask, Dragon Kid et al. He was out of his seat swearing like a sailor at some of the martial-arts-inspired moves, the acrobatics and the selling-like your-dead-ness of it all.

That's totally the reaction I get when I show people Puro. For the first five minutes they sit there thinking it's a bad joke and laughing at the foreign commentary. Half an hour later they're shouting "Oh! OH! F'n hell!" and getting totally carried away by the awesomeness of something like a Dragonrana or a stiff flurry of shots from Stan Hansen or Vader.

A few years ago, I realised that I could never be able to get every tape I ever wanted, so I really tried hard to introduce my friends to puro. Guys who liked WWE, guys who hated all wrestling, even a few girls, I tried my best. In the end, only two of my friends showed any real interest in seeing it again, which benefitted me hugely. Instead of buying 4 tapes myself for £20, we would each buy 4 tapes and just swap with each other until we'd seen all 12 of them. They were never REALLY into Puro, but they did enjoy some of the more American tapes, like Best Of WCW Cruiserweights and Best Of Chris Jericho. These days, I'm lucky if I can sit them down to talk for 5 minutes about WWE before they moan about how wrestling sucks.

As for getting people who hate wrestling to become any kind of fan, it's hard. When I lived with my now ex-girlfriend, I tried to get her to go to the post Wrestlemania house show in Glasgow. She wasn't too keen, because there were no household names there, but maybe if someone like Undertaker or Austin had come along, she might have gone along too, then I could have taken the next step and turned her into a fan.

To be honest, I'm not the best person in the world to introduce someone to WWE, simply because I'm not a huge fan of Vince's promotion. Sure, they have some talented wrestlers who I love watching, but the way the promotion is run makes me want to turn off, so why should I be introducing new fans?

I haven't been able to connvert anyone as yet. But there was on brief moment when my stepmom actually showed an interest (She usualy hates it with a passion.) And that was when Bischoff was givng Steph that 'I gess I won because I have testicles, and you don't speech. When she floored him, my stepmom turned round and said 'did she kick him in the balls? serves him right' Mind you since then she's gone back to 'why do watch that rubbish its all fake' mode, but oh well.
  • Like 1

Russ you know, if you got Gloria watching Puro it'd solve all my problems :P

But speaking of that hard style and even some US stuff... I honestly believe that anyone who loves stuff like Arnie films or action films full of fighting will generally have a soft spot for wrestling.

I suppose at the end of the day its a soap opera about fighting. Just think how cool Eastenders would be if everybody fought each other in it.

I turned my best mate Lee from being a no caring kinda guy to an all out lover of WWE, ECW, NJPW and NOAH... My mum and my sister now also watch the WWE because of me although my sister is the most shamefull mark ever...

When Brock was a face she loved him, then when he turned heel he became an assclown in her eyes... I kid you not...

I turned my ex-girlfriend into a Chris Jericho fan although she didn't really like wrestling she'd watch if he was on...

My dad still hates it though...

I turned most of the people in my job into wrestling freaks around when the invasion was happeming and the WHAT catchprase just started

Everyone in my job had wrestling names according to what wrestler they were most like

Mines was stone cold being the leader of the invasion

I even shaved my head for a while and grew a beard

I was able to make one of my friends a wrestling fan by showing him the Undertaker vs. Mick Foley HIAC. I could never get him into TNA though which is what I like more than WWE. Now he is just a casual fan who catches SD every now and then.

Oh well, I tried.

I tried the Undertaker/Mankind hell in a cell too,she said she kinda enjoyed it,but my lady still wasn't convinced that wrestling is great.I also tried 'Beyond the Mat' No, that didn't work either.I've asked her to read Mankind's book, "I don't know anything about Mankind" came her reply.I've tried old wrestling, new wrestling and TWC.She has sat and watched bits of T.V and pay per-view with me, but it's always when a dire angle is on,and I myself find it too crappy to watch.Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle,but I've got alot of fight in me yet.

After exposing her repeatedly to my collection of wrestling vids and dvds (so regularly that it could almost be considered a form of brainwashing) i too have converted my other half into a wrestling fan. She watches Raw and SD with me every week yet she is still in that naive stage where she thinks the storylines should make sense and logic should be present. She refers to Batista as 'Evolutions lump' and considers him totally pointless. She refuses to watch Ric Flair because she says she feels sick looking at him. She really likes Undertaker and Shawn Michaels although 'no one over 30 should be called boy toy or wear chaps' a point which i totally agree with.

She watches Raw and SD with me every week yet she is still in that naive stage where she thinks the storylines should make sense and logic should be present.

When my lady does watch it, she too questions everything that happens. "that doesn't make any sense" is what she says, I know, but just go with it comes my reply.

I've never really converted people. I have however, watched it with people who don't like it. You end up watching the show through their eyes don't you? We were watching Smackdown the other week with one guy who doesn't watch wrestling and one guy who used to watch it but doesn't now.

The guy who doesn't watch wrestling was pissing himself laughing at most of the backstage segments and to be honest I could see, from his perspective, why it was so amusing. I could see why people think it is a load of pish. And I made this comment to him at the time.

But the other guy who used to watch wrestling but doesn't like it anymore, actually watched the show from my perspective. Which was interesting. He said he could see why I enjoyed watching it.

I'm not really sure what the point of this post is. I think maybe that it is interesting watching shows with people who don't watch the product as you look at it differently. It's like introducing a new band to someone. You start listening to it through their ears.

OK, I hope I made sense there. I'm not sure I have so I'll stop now.

Edited by The Crippler

My mate got me into wrestling by teachibng me WWF Attitude back when it was out in 1999. Then he brought Royal Rumble 2000 round on video and I was hooked.

He had seen it before and so knew when to fast-forward, past the Mae Young part. My dad wouldnt be too impressed, and still isnt.

He taught me some things and introduced me to the characters and what they were all about. He was a big Austin mark back then and I believed him when he told me Shamrock was actually crazy! From then on I watched LiveWire every week with my brothers. Then we realised we could watch SmackDown on the same channel on Saturday! And I've watched it pretty much every week since then.

I havn't inroduced anybody into wrestling myself. There's one person in college who knows I watch wrestling because he does too.

My mum is though, she loves Jeff Hardy and always enjoys watching the many clips I have of him on the computer. Here's what she'd say "Ohh! How on EARTH do they do that?!"

And my dad would follow that through with "Nutters. It wasn't like that back in my day. Big Daddy, Haystacks thats what its all about."

I watched Classics on TWC and thought it was fantastic!

The saga continues...

Round Lloyd's again tonight and I put on The Mania of Wrestlemania (that film on the extras on the WMXX DVD) - he loved that so on went WMXX itself. He was scared of the Big Show when he first saw him but soon realised that "He's a bit s***". He was also VERY disappointed with Funaki jobbing in seconds flat during the CW open (Lloyd was impressed with him on the Michinoku Pro tape I showed him last week).

There were two major highlights of the evening:

1) "Wind that back, it looked like he clapped when he kicked him then!"

and

2) "Wind it back again, was he talking to him then?!" (very self-righteous with that!)

It's probably obvious that I'm smartening him up gradually.

Oh, and he was really f***ed-off when Trish turned heel on Y2J.

lmao i watched it religiously since about 96 when we got cable with sky sports and my dad hated it' date=' then once when i was home from uni in 2000 i caught him sneakily watching Raw, he quickly turned t over and denied it but i know the score[/quote']

Sounds a lot like my Dad, BMSF. I watch Raw/SD! and he'll get the newspaper out, moaning about how it's all fake. Then a tag-match comes on and he reaches for his spectacles. Dad marks for the tag matches! :thumbsup

Try as I might I can not seem to convert my girlfriend into a wrestling mark!

When we only had cable on one television in the house I had to fight to watch RAW. So I ran cable to the downstairs so I can watch whenever I please. Although I would love for her to get involved and watch with me but I think the whole wrestling thing is above her...Oh well.

She does however love Mick Foley. Shw watched Beyond the mat and the Mick A&E documentaty, as well as the Mick dvd. She has read his books. As a matter of fact, She read Tietem(?) Brown before I did!!!

Well thats a start!

Edited by Maxximus