The Whole Steroid Thing

E2K

Here's a genuine, honest question on something that I've been curious about for some time, but haven't been able to, ah, "work out" (pardon the pun).

Y'know the way the big steroid scandal erupted in the early nineties? Vince got into a lot of hot water because of some doctor who was supplying steroids to certain wrestlers (most of the WWF, I believe), the federal government got involved, there was even talk of ol' Vince going to jail there for a while.

After it all went down and he was acquitted, Vince introduced dope-testing (or something to that effect) and suddenly the super-human physiques were no more. Smaller, more athletic guys like Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were pushed. Sure, you still had big guys like Sid, Kevin Nash, etc (I'm not saying either of those guys ever used steroids, by the way) but it was nothing compared to the eighties when almost everyone was 'roided up.

In 2004, it's plainly obvious that a lot of guys in the WWE are "on the juice" so to speak, including some very high-profile people. The dope-testing (which was probably just introduced to keep people quiet in the first place) has long-since been discontinued. And wrestlers continue to die young, thanks in no small part (but not exclusively) to steroids.

So, finally, here's my question. If the feds were so determined to send Vinnie Mac away in '92 or '93, then why aren't they knocking on WWE's door again in 2004? I'm not saying I neccessarily want them to send the guy to jail or ruin any careers; at the end of the day, whether or not a guy goes on steroids is a personal decision, nobody puts a gun to his head and it's not like the fact that they're performance enhancing is a problem.

Some of my favourite ever wrestlers, like Bret Hart, Chris Jericho and Steve Austin (to my knowledge) have never touched them. Conversley, Rick Rude, another of my favourites, did, and it led to his death. It doesn't make me dislike him though, even if I feel for his wife and kids that they lost him so young. And it doesn't neccessarily mean that it's Vince McMahon's fault.

But why, why if the feds wanted to can his ass back in '92, '93 are they not knocking on his door now? Am I imagining that some WWE guys are on the juice? Why if Vince had to introduce doping control in the nineties was he able to get rid of it so easily? Any ideas?

Edited by E2K

As far as I know now you can get some aids like steroids in certain kinds as well as other growth supplements that are allowed under federal law. Not all steriods are but you can obtain them far more easily then you could back in the 1980's when they were illegal.

The WWE does still have a dope testing scheme but its only really for drugs such as cocanie and herion and painkillers that it emerges. It supposedly was being carried out when Jeff Hardy was fired, that he had no showed shows and failed two tests... But everyone knew before the tests that Hardy was a painkiller (and possibly more although nothings been proved) user and addict.

Its my view that several people like KA, EG, CB, BL, JC, HHH, DB and maybe RO have all taken or are still taking these to improve their bodys muscle mass. Plus I have put their names in that form cos I don't want sueing for slander now...

I think the main difference between now and then is that in the last few years vince mac has been cracking down on some of the more obvious cases of drug related problems (i.e eddie guerrero, jeff hardy) This may or may not be seen as a huge step forward but what it does is makes an attempt to disspell joe publics mental image of guys shooting up regularly in the locker room and erases the negative connotations thereof. As gringo pointed out the lines are now blurred as to what qualifies as drug abuse as there are a lot of muscle growth aids out there that are legal on tehcnicalities ecause of their chemical content. Another point worth mentioning is that my personal opinion of the 92 court case is that the government went after wwe so hard because they thought it was an easy target with maximum potential for huge media coverage. Basically they were trying to use wrestling as a public scapegoat so it would look as if they were making massive steps in the 'war on drugs' then they ended up with egg on their face. They are probably hesitant about going down the same road again as negative pictures could be painted about wwe being victimised, couple that with the fact that society is even more litigious now and wwe has the financial clout to pay for a hefty legal team and it would probably not be worth the governments while to pursue such action.

It was well known in the locker room and upstairs they had a problem so the WWE arranged a 'drug test' for them which they 'failed'. They paid for Eddie to go to re-hab but let him go (whilst still paying for his treatment) and offered the same re-hab option to Jeff who told em to stick it.

Its not known if the test were legit but it doesn't seem there is a widespread testing policy anymore. I think its more likely that the office hears the rumours and such and if its becomeing a problem then they order a test to confirm and then address the problem.

Back in 1992-1995 if your where found to be taking anything you where gone. Thats why Luger, Bulldog, Hawk and others fell out of favour not to mention Hogan and Savage and Warrior. Back then test where a huge deal cos Vince was being hunted by the feds and became seriously paranoid about his public image.

Oh no he didn't do Roids... he did Painkillers first and foremost and it was rumoured that other substances where being abused...

Same with Eddie, he had a well know Painkiller dependecy stemming from a horrid car crash and the multiple injuries caused whilst in WCW. Jeff to my knowledge has never used steriods at all.

In 1992 when Roids where hugely illegal and and the government where breathing down his throat McMahon instituted drug tests. Now its lax but if like I pointed out someone has a well known problem like Jeff with a illegal or addictive substance then a drug test is 'arranged'.

Hope that helps.