Favourite Triple H match (Yes thats right FAVOURITE)

peoples eyebrow

Favourite Triple H match?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Triple H match?

• V's The Rock (Intercontinental Ladder Match, Summerslam 1998)
    • V's Vince McMahon (Streetfight, Armageddon 1999)
    • V's Cactus Jack (Streetfight, Royal Rumble 2000)
    • V's Cactus Jack (Hell In A Cell, No Way Out 2000)
    • V's The Rock (Ironman Match, Judgement Day 2000)
    • V's Chris Jericho (Last Man Standing Match, Fully Loaded 2000)
    • V's Chris Benoit (No Mercy 2000)
    • V's Steve Austin (Three Stages Of Hell, No Way Out 2001)
    • V's Undertaker (Wrestlemania 17)
    • V's Shawn Michaels (Unsanctioned Match, Summerslam 2002)
    • V's Chris Benoit V's Shawn Michaels (Triple Threat, Wrestlemania 20)
    • V's Chris Benoit V's Shawn Michaels (Triple Threat, Backlash 2004)
    • Other (please specify)

Please Note

This thread is not a debate on the overall merits (or lack therof) of Triple H. If that kind of debate is what your after click here or here .

There's been much debate over Triple H in the past few weeks here on Two. Threads have been started, arguments fought over him, etc. The truth is that no matter what your view of the man, no matter what your view on the wrestler as things stand in 2004, you cannot deny that the reason Triple H bacame a main eventer is that there was a time when he was, quiet simply, 'that damn good'. Thats without question. he got to the top on merit. How he stayed there during 2002 and 2003 is what many have a problem with, but thats for a different thread.....

I have to say I'm no big Triple H fan anymore, but I respect the fact that he's had some great matches. Leaving aside all personal animosity and giving credit where it's due, I've listed Twelve of his best matches (only three of which have taken place since his quad injury I might add).

There's the outstanding ladder match against The Rock at SummerSlam 1998; the epic bloodbath against Vince at Armageddon 1999; the two outstanding matches against Mick Foley in early 2000 that made him as champion; the wonderful ironman match against The Rock; the fantastic last-man standing with Jericho; his first match with Benoit; the tremendous three stages of hell match with Austin; the superb brawl with Undertaker at WM17; his brilliant match with Michaels at SummerSlam 2002; and the two epic triple threats with Benoit and Michaels from earlier this year.

So, which is your favourite?

Mine is the ladder match from SummerSlam 1998 against The Rock, it was a superb match...on the edge of your seat stuff.

By the way feel free to vote for any others, which u feel should have been included!!

Some awesome matches right enough.

I've voted for the Street-Fight at Royal Rumble 2000 against Cactus Jack. At the time, I was such a mark for both guys. The build-up to the match was outstanding. Mick Foley always says it's one of the best pieces of buiness he ever did, and you can see why. The match itself was brutal (in the physical sense) but the two guys really told a superb story. You can't help but be dragged in watching that match. Awesome, awesome match.

I think the build-up to it is what gives it the edge over the others. The ladder match against The Rock was a great match, as was Shawn Michaels' comeback in 2002. But if I had to pick a runner-up (and some people might be surprised by this) I'd go for HHH vs Undertaker at WM X-7. I've always loved that match.

I have two that for me stand out head and shoulders above the rest. As Ive often made clear here I am a massive fan and supporter of the game.

The one Ive voted for was truely excellent and for me was THE best match at Wrestlemania x7 with The Undertaker, a truely wonderful match that captivated what WrestleMania means

The other again another WrestleMania moment but this time the year after in a match that every one slated. I personally thought it was excellent. HHH sold really the fake injury on his leg really well through the entire match and it truely was fantastic.

My favourites are either the Street Fight with Cactus Jack or the Triple Threat at Mania.

The feud with Cactus Jack was fantastic. I thought the matches with The Rock were really good also and the match with Taker at Mania X7 was a good effort.

I've never really appreciated the matches with Michaels which is weird as both men can certainly go but they never really worked for me.

Some great matches there though. The Jericho last man standing was great and gave WWE fans a new side of Jericho. The match with Benoit at No Mercy was a great match also.

From that list I'd probably say the Mania Triple Threat because everything about it just worked for me. The right man won, the right man put him over and the crowd were loving everything about Benoit in it. :)

The Cactus Jack match at the Rumble would also be up there.

His shortest one!

No I joke... just like most people said I'd probably have to say the streetfight against Mick Foley. Plus believe it or not at the time (before he started the whole annoying 20 minute I am the game crap) I was a HHH mark and loved it, though I remember being genuinely gutted that Cactus Jack didnt win.

One of my other favourites is an odd one... its just because its one of my favourite ever matches... the 6-Pac Challenge at Unforgiven 1999, when HHH won the title for a 2nd time I think. Was a brilliant match, loved it.

Other than that I have to say most of those matches are good as well but I always hated the Rock ones and found their feud so dull that for that period I actually stopped watching (agh even thinking about Undertakers return as the Biker makes me cringe). That Iron Man match was a pile of pish.

Ironman match for me. Barely a foot put wrong throughout the match, no reliance on "cheap" big bumps, very little repetition because they're two guys with a great repetoire of moves, they both sell wrestling moves like they should be sold. The UT return at the end is the icing on the cake and never fails to bring the goosebumps up on my arms.

It's only when you see threads like this you remember just how good he was. His fued with the Rock must go down as one of the greatest ever, and the Catus Jack matches were the perfect examples of how to hype a match. It came down to the Ironman, streetfight and WX7 match. Man this is hard. Ok, Im going for the Ironman. Simply because it was the first one for a long time, and the psychology durng the match was beyond perfection. And it was the first appearence by the American badass Undertaker. And him taking out The corporation was worth waiting for. It was however a real downer when the Rock lost. But it was an intentional downer. A fantastic match. Both guys have never been better.

Yeah I've gone for the streetfight as well. Foley and HHH had such an amazing chemistry in the ring together and when people look back at the great rivalry's in the business I think this one often gets overlooked.

Hopefully in another 10 years it will get looked upon for what it was, a truly superb rivalry that always produced awesome matches and some great storylines along the way too. Even back in the Hunter Hearst Helmsley KOTR days they were putting on some superb matches and it carried on right through.

I thnik to pick a match with anyone other than Foley would be wrong. The Royal Rumble match was excellent and had everything. I was on the edge of my seat right throughout and couldn't pick a winner. When Foley kicked out of the Pedigree I genuinely thought he might do it. It was everything that Foley and Triple H at the time were great for. Hunter had an amazing year and was without question wrestler of the year in most people's eyes.

The buildup going into it was awesome, the storylines and writing was good at the time, HHH was playing the killer heel superbly and Foley was the real people's champion. Superb.

The triple Threat, Vs Cactus at Rumble.

The first WWE Pay Per View main event I ever saw, and became one of my all time favourites.

The psychology was good and they didnt go too far with the amount of weapons.

A barbwire bat, a steel chair and thumbtacks was pretty much it, with the exception of a crate. I've seen the match countless times and wouldnt complain if it was on again. It was good pace and very dramatic. Thats Triple H at his best and Cactus proved he could still go at it, before he retired....oh erm..."retired" ;)

All those matches were good though, Vs Jericho at Fully Loaded, Vs Beniot at No Mercy both in 2000 and of course the Streat Fight Vs HBK back at Summerslam '02 is another one of my favs.

Man those were some great matches why can't he do that NOW.

I voted for Undertaker vs. HHH, this was the greatest match at WM 17. It was a tough choice between that one and the street fight with Cactus. His match vs. HBK at Sumerslam 02 was great to.

Has to be the Last Man Standing match for me... As Arnold Furious said on his site, its simply the best Last Man Standing match ever and I loved the HHH/Jericho fued more then the one he had with the Rock simply because well... It's Jericho and at that time HHH was one of my favourite wrestlers too... It was a dream match situation you see...

Same with his No Mercy effort against Benoit, heel v heel sort of and that counter out of the CCF, a fricken' DVD! What was on that tape that Steph showed him before the match!

Special mention for his efforts against Kurt Angle at Summerslam and Unforgiven and the whole love triangle angle... Was great matches and television.

I do not think this match is the best of what is listed above, but it's my favourite because it stands out a lot, and that's the three stages of hell at No Way Out 2001 against Austin. This match stood out for me and I appreciated it a lot, and seeing as no one has voted fr it yet, I shall do so now :)

Wasn't that the one where thy both took a bump of the cage and HHH's arm fell on Austins? I'd actually fotgotten about that. It was pretty memorable. Im suprised only two people voted for the Ironman. But when you've got the Cactus Jack streetfight maybe it's not so suprising. I like this favorite match thing. How about aother one for, say, the Rock or Foley. Now that they can't add to the list it will be pretty definitive as their greatest ever match.

Damn, i just realised something. Spot the contradiction above. :oops

Edited by Kakarot

Have to remeber the 3 Stages of hell for being an absolute classic to be honest. Oh sorry to correct you Scouser but H just fell on Austin on his back. Anyways yeah a fantastic match but not my favourite match of H's or even from that Pay Per View. Rock vs Angle was.

Another couple not mentioned were Royal rumble 2004 vs Shawn Michaels-lAst man standing, fantastic match and a great performance although the match they had on RAW a few weeks before was even better and a stand out moment.

Two Hell In a Cell match missed that i enjoyed a lot. Firstly the damn near hour long match between HBK and HHH a few months ago at bad blood. Fantastic and a truely deserving main event. i enjoyed every minute of it. and Finally Hell in A Cell at judgment Day 2002 between HHH and Jericho-bloody great match. Timmy White got injured, the fought outside and Jericho got pedigreed on the top.

1) Cactus Jack - Royal Rumble 2000 Street Fight, My second favourite match of all time and HHH's best in my opinion.

2) Undertaker - WM17 - pure street fight and the fans loved every moment and for me had a breathtaking finish.

3) Rock - Backlash 2000 - probably not the most popular choice but for me this match I will always remember as one of my favourites. (Stone Cold's return helped a little)

I picked the Street Fight at the Royal Rumble 2000 because that was indeed a great match. Both of them fought their hardest, and got alot of respect (I'm not so sure about Trips). It was the best match I seen that Trips fought in. I could also say the Non-Sanctioned Match at SummerSlam 2002...but I like the Street Fight Match better because Trips and Cactus had a long feud and it was enjoying.

I also liked the Six-Man Hell in a Cell Match at Armageddon 2000 (I wonder why it wasn't listed) especially when Rikishi got chokeslammed by the Undertaker from the top of the cell. Trips was close to winning...but oh well.

Another one you missed out on was Hunter Hearst Helmsley vs The Ultimate Warrior from WresleMania XII, undoubtedly Helmsleys greatest ever match. Only a couple of minutes long, Warrior completely no-sells the pedigree in one of wrestling greatest ever moments.