TWO Best WWE PPV Match: WrestleMania III

Chris2K

Best match from WMIII?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Best match from WMIII?

• Rick Martel and Tom Zenk vs. Bob Orton and Don Muraco
    • Billy Jack Haynes vs. Hercules
    • Hillbilly Jim, Haiti Kid and Little Beaver vs. King Kong Bundy, Little Tokyo and Lord Littlebrook
    • Harley Race vs. Junk Yard Dog
    • Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake vs. Rougeau Brothers
    • Roddy Piper vs. Adrian Adonis
    • Hart Foundation and Danny Davis vs. British Bulldogs and Tito Santana
    • Butch Reed vs. Koko B. Ware
    • Intercontinental Title Match: Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage
    • Honky Tonk Man vs. Jake 'The Snake' Roberts
    • Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff vs. The Killer Bees
    • WWF Title Match: Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant

From WrestleManiaHistory.com:

In front of 93, 173 fans at the Pontiac Silverdome, WWE held its third annual WrestleMania. The event will forever be known for shattering the world's indoor attendance record, previously held by the Rolling Stones.

The event was highlighted by the mega-main event, pitting Andre the Giant against WWE Champion Hulk Hogan. In addition, in one of the greatest matches ever, Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat defeated Randy "Macho Man" Savage for the Intercontinental Championship. Also, Roddy Piper took on Adrian Adonis, Junk Yard Dog battled Harley Race, Billy Jack Haynes faced Hercules and much more.

Vote for your favourite match from this show.

Finalists

Hulk Hogan/Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper/Paul Orndorff (WM1)

The British Bulldogs vs. Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake (WM2)

• Like 1

as good as Steamboat and Savage was, and it was way ahead of its time I just can't bring myself not to vote for the spectacle of Hogan and Andre. It's a shame those two matches couldn't both get into the final but for me Mania, more than any other ppv is all about the main event. Hogan Vs Andre was the biggest star in the business against the biggest man in the business, everything a Mania main event should be about. No, we didn't see loads of submission moves and technical mat wrestling. Who cares, we didn't need to. This match had everything else it needed to.

Elsewhere on the card it has to be said that this was a stunning Mania. So many good matches and great story telling throughout the show.

Hulk vs Andre is the only choice. It may not have been in the same league 'wrestling' wise as Savage vs Steamboat (which I consider to be very over rated anyways) but it was the biggest spectacle at WM3, and IMO the biggest spectacle in wrestling HISTORY. And saying that, WM is more about spectacle and memories than it is about wrestling quality anyway.

The biggest and most important match ever, with Hogan at his peak, it was the greatest WM moment of all time.

Personally it had to be Savage vs. Steamboat, probably the best Wrestlemania match ever in my opinion. The wrestling was first rate, and the match storyline was excellent too. I really rate this match as being the stand out match of Savage's career.

Hogan and Andre certainly does come close, simply because it was a huge match, with the two biggest names in the business at the time. Probably one of Westlemania's greatest moments, but certainly not the greatest match.

Savage v Steamboat was from my standpoint as a fan of workrate the best match on the show and one of the greatest matches at a Wrestlemania ever....

I do agree though that the Hogan v Andre match was a great spectacle but the fact that it was over hyped as their first ever meeting was pointless... the two had fueded when Hogan was a heel around 1980...

It was however Andre's first loss clean on TV in something like a decade wasn't it?

I do agree though that the Hogan v Andre match was a great spectacle but the fact that it was over hyped as their first ever meeting was pointless

it wasn't pointless, it was innacurate. that's far from the same thing. there was a huge point to it as it built that expectation level even more and created more tension when most of the WWF fans knew no better anyway.

Steamboat vs Savage gets my vote, it was an excellent match which showcased both stars in their element. They both wrestled fantastically and thats what sets it apart from all the others. Obviously Hulk vs Andre was a big draw, but as a match it sucked and should not be compared to Steamboat and Savage.

savage vs steamboat gets my vote as its one of my favourite matches ever...however, hulk and andre does get strong consideration - sure its not a technical masterpeice buts its like the biggest match ever and brings back fond memories

the interesting questions is will another match other then those two even get a single vote

Jayden I meant to hype it in that way was pointless as it just means the WWE gets picked at years down the line... The rest of the hype was great but to say it was their first meeting was stupid. I can imagine there was smarks back then who picked it apart, only differance being they didn't really have the net to take the piss...

Still think Savage v Steamboat inches it though.

WWFBeltMark is right on this occasion. It might not have been the best "wrestling" match at WM3, but it certainly was the best spectacle of the night and thats what mania is all about. for the first time a huge superstar like andre was bodyslammed - that kind of thing just didn't happen before then.

Well Savage vs Steamboat for me. The storyline was great leading in, and you've got two of the all-time greats (in my humble opinion) at their peak. I watch that match so much. It's really transcended time for me. You can watch it again in another seventeen years and it won't have aged a day. Those guys told a great, great story that night, and I'd always have that in my top handful of matches of all-time.

As has been said though, Hogan and Andre was such a huge event. Wrestlemania doesn't have to be all about the event, but that particular match is such a fond memory for so many. Don't jump down my throat when I say that it doesn't stand the test of time for me like the Savage/Steamboat match, mainly because Andre had such a problem with mobility at that time which really comes across, but it is a match that's probably the biggest Wrestlemania event ever

Hulk v Andre - one of the worst matches ever from an actual wrestling point of view.

But from the buildup and the feud to the crowd reaction and the entertainment it just has to be up there as one of the greatest wrestling moments of all time. If I watch it again now I honestly have to watch all the lead up to it and stuff (back when Wrestling Classics was on, the weeks leading up to Wrestlemania III was being shown and it inspired me to buy the actual video just to see Hulk v Andre) because the wrestling in it is absolutely terrible!

I think Savage v Steamboat was good yeh but I personally think its a bit shocking if Hulk v Andre doesn't win!