Will Formula 1 ever really recover?

Alan

Over the past few years critics have been claiming that Forumla one has become boring and predictable to the dominance of Michael Schumacher and the Ferrari team. Now i must admit that seeing that red car take the chequered flag each and every week is getting very tiresome, but what can be done to turn things around.

We saw last season that new rules dont help. The single lap qualifying and the various new rules about work on the cars throughout a race weekend seemed to work for a little while, then everything went back to normal. The FIA bosses are still trying to think of different ways to bring some excitment back into the races, coming up with ideas such as limiting engine sizes, taking away traction control and disposing of the automatic starting mechanisms. Time will only tell if new limitations such as these will help Formula 1 but to be honest i cannot see it.

What will it take to bring new life into the "stale" Formula 1 environment? Will extra limitations make a difference? Or will it take a complete overhaul of the sport?

My idea would be to have every team on the same standard engine, and then that would hopefully make things alot more even, and it would let the Drivers show exactly how good they are. I find that the problem is the teams rely too much on pit strategies, the emphasis needs to be placed back on the drivers and how well they can drive.

Formula 1 has been in similar situations before, with Lotus in the 60's then late 70's Williams in the mid 80's, early 90's and McLaren in the late 80's. Teams and Drivers dominating is nothing new, however the big difference now is that Ferrari are not allowing its two cars to compete against each other, so the man who has the best chance of beating Schumacher doesn't have a chance.

Look at past dominant teams, they allowed their drivers to race, Colin Chapman realised in the 60's that if one team and driver dominate the sport for long periods then it would kill it, and so would share his technology, its a pity Ferrari don't see things the same way.

Another reason why the sport is suffering is because of Schumacher himself, he is not the most charasmatic person in the world, more often than not he is arrogent and rarely compliments other drivers. The guy has no likeable features for me!

But what can you do to change it? I like the current BTCC format, 3 races of around 20 laps, with the second race's grid being decided by the top 10 finishers of the first race. I also like the idea of success ballest, as it gives the lesser cars more of a chance.

Sadly however I doubt Formula 1 will ever adopt anything like this, really unless Ferrari realised (like Chapman did in the 60's) that if they don't share the secrets of what makes the car great then they are going to kill the sport.

I must say I disagree. Yes, it gets tiresome that Schumacher wins everything, and Ferrari are always winning the constructors championship, but my argument is simply: enjoy it.

You don't often get to see an utter genius ply his trade every week. And you'll miss him when he's gone.

The argument about giving everyone the same car is faulty, too. On paper everyone would be more equal, true, but in reality Ferrari already do not have the best car. Honda, Renault, BMW and Mercedes all have better tyres, better top speed, etc, Ferrari probably edge consistency.

Michael Schumacher is simply the best driver there is, and probably ever has been. Adjusting the rules so everyone has a better chance at beating him, despite how galling it is, is simply wrong.

Cheers!

"The argument about giving everyone the same car is faulty, too. On paper everyone would be more equal, true, but in reality Ferrari already do not have the best car. Honda, Renault, BMW and Mercedes all have better tyres, better top speed, etc, Ferrari probably edge consistency."

Erm yeah Ferrari do have the best car, and are faster than all the teams u mentioned. As for tyres it depends on what circuit. And even still, they have an unfair advantage, given more money by the FIA, and are told about rule changes, before any other team, that and Barrichello may as well not bother, cause he's not allowed to race, is starting to make F1 pointless.

Its no longer about competition, its about money. Spa was one of the better circuits, yet thats been taken away. They want to have a circuit in the middle of London. The circuit would probably be horrendous, but hey it would make lots of money, so great lets give it a go. Its far too money orientated. And yes in the days when Lotus and McLaren dominated, they did win a lot, but not everything. So far Schumacher has won every race but won. When McLaren dominated, the likes of Mansell would still win races, and Berger, and even when Prost went to a terrible Ferrari at the start of the last decade, they became competitive. Essentially, a good driver in a bad car, could still do well. These days stick anyone in a Ferrari, and they could prolly finish 3rd in the championship at least. There is such a huge gap.

In an ideal world, I'd have every team have the same engine, and the same tyres, then it would be simply down to strategy, driving and team work. Sure perhaps Schumacher would still win, but I'd bet anything it would be a damn sight closer, and hell of a lot more entertaining, than the bore it is now.

I don't even consider F1 to be a sport anymore.

In 88 McLaren won ever race but 1, but why was the season still exciting? Maybe because Prost and Senna could race each other, throughout Formula 1 there has always been a rivalry, two greats going head to head, but know because for Ferrari's dominance and Schumachers control of the team we don't have that.

As for Ferrari not having the best of everything? Well they have the best car, it maybe doesn't have the best straightline speed, or handling but it is the best compromise, better handling than the Williams and faster than a Renault.

Also Bridgestone develop their tyre's specifically for Ferrari, BAR said that the Bridgestones were crap last year, well they would be, there designed to benifit 1 car. Lets also not forget that Ferrari have their own track so have unlimited testing.

Now if Schumacher is the best why has he never allowed any team mate to race against him? If he is so great why does he get a master stratagy and Rubeans get the crap one? Surely if Schumacher was the greatest driver ever he wouldn't only win in the best car (or in 94 with an illegal car), with no competition from the only driver who can challenge him. He's no master of racing, he could very well be the death of it.

agredd with all that walshy said, i personally dont like shumie im a supporter of kimi and both renault drivers and added to that the two things i am excited about are possible returns of my two fav drivers ever Jaques Villeneuve and Mika Hakkinen.

Read the papers as Hakkinen may well return and Jaques is ready if he is wanted

I agree with what Walshy says about Schumacher's dominance of the Ferrari team. This isn't just limited to Barichello, it goes back to when Irvine raced for them. Now, I'm not saying Schumacher ain't the main man; he's the one they pay the big bucks, he's the one who's one of the greatest ever (whether you like him or not), he's the one who, back in '96/'97 when Ferrari were struggling, helped to turn things around (even when their car was absolute piss, he was still able to pull out small miracles). So yes, he is an awesome driver. All I'm saying is that it would be nice for us as spectators if Rubens was allowed to push Schumacher. But then that's Ferrari's decision, so we may just live with it.

As for the sport as a whole, I'm not sure that there is a whole hell of a lot wrong with it. OK, sure, there have been more exciting seasons than this year and last year. Senna and Prost's duels obviously a prime example. The thing is though, dominance is nothing new. In the past decade, Williams, and especially McLaren near the end of the decade when Hakkinen drove for them, were damn near unbeatable with the car they had. I think the difference now is that one of the greatest EVER has the best car. And he's making it count. And it's up to the other teams to challenge that.

Obviously, as a fan, I'm not as excited now as I was a few years ago, be it when Schumacher was duelling with Villeneuve or Hakkinen, or when Jordan were actually winning races, but it's still a fine sport. I think tinkering with the qualifying was a bit of an exercise in futility really. I didn't see what it would achieve at the time, and I'm none the wiser now. And I don't know about whether the ratings are down or whatever, but I think Formula One as a sport and as a business, is still in pretty good shape.

One thing I am worried about; with tobacco sponsorship outlawed in a lot of the european countries now, I hope they don't start having too many races in countries with no affinity for the sport, and moving it away from it's fanbase. Unfortunately, I fear that process has already begun.

I doubt Hakkinen will' date=' he doesn't need too.[/quote']

Well it was reported and confirmed he has talked with Ron Dennis and Ron said he should consider it as it would do a lot for Formula One. Heres hoping to Jordan Getting the new sponsorship from Dubai and signing Villeneuve and Hakkinen- What a team im drooling already Villeneuve and Hakkinen- Too good to be true i sure hope they do both return to the same team in a competitive car, plus im still going with my prediction that Toyota will have a strong team next year with a team of Ralf Schumacher and my guess of David Coulthard

Well it was reported and confirmed he has talked with Ron Dennis and Ron said he should consider it as it would do a lot for Formula One. Heres hoping to Jordan Getting the new sponsorship from Dubai and signing Villeneuve and Hakkinen- What a team im drooling already Villeneuve and Hakkinen- Too good to be true i sure hope they do both return to the same team in a competitive car' date=' plus im still going with my prediction that Toyota will have a strong team next year with a team of Ralf Schumacher and my guess of David Coulthard[/quote']

There is no doubt that teams of Ralf and Coulthard, and Villeneuve and Hakkinen would be great, as all four are extremely good drivers. However the problem is that the Toyota and Jordan cars are extremely unreliable and it has been shown that they can't "hang with the big boys" except in extreme conditions. The drivers mentioned would help the team get maybe a couple more points but they wont be making serious challenges for the title.

well the team of Jordan are apparently getting this massive cash injection from dubai so i think if they invest the money wisely Jordan could be a good team for the future and i certainly think the skill and experience of two former world champions in the form of Hakkinen and Villeneueve would be a massive bonus for them if they were to sign

Spa was one of the better circuits, yet thats been taken away.

Sunday 29th August 2004 Belgium Grand Prix SPA!

Not exactly sure that the problem lies with Scumacher, but the fact that over the past few years drivers have been able to buy there drives for the lower teams and that has seen the talent pool dry up. Rubens knew what he was getting into when he signed for the scarlet ferraris he was number 2, and if you look at it it makes sense. If you own a formula 1 team like ferrari your budged for a year is something in the region of £120 million would you then go and tell your drivers to win at all costs if you had million pound motors at speeds of 170 mph.

Now the big danger is if the FIA decide to change the rules to close the gap between ferrari and the rest, is the fact that fiat could say well screw you lot were off it's not as if they need to promote ferraris, even worse they could just rebadge them fiats and we would probably see fiats winning race after race. Just check out the adverts during a grand prix we see jaguar adverts mecedes adverts and Honda adverts but no ferrari adverts. Maybe there sponsers like vodafone and tic tak. So would trying to close the gap be that good ? Maybe not basically because ferrai bring more money to formula 1 than Williams, Mclaren and BAR put together.

But before he retires why not watch a true sporting Legend at work like Boyo says. It's shaping up to probably be his greatest season ever you are watching sporting history.

They won't go to Jordan there both made men and don't need the hassle if a top team came along then maybe but jordan at the moment are just making up the numbers, if a top team like williams came along the villeneuve could possibly end up with a drive but hakkinen looked just disintrested in his final year. He was never the same after he was leading on the last lap of the spanish grand prix when his engine just let go.

Yes e2k it would

Villeneueve has apparently been training and he hopes that Williams may let him finish the season for Ralf rather than letting Gene continue

As for Hakkinen I can alway hope because Hakk was amazing but I do think he wuill return next season i really do and I think if Jordan get the cash injection they so need and they give a good presentation as to how they hope to improve and how they hope to push forward and develop their car and team then i certainly think that a team like Jordan could be up there with the likes of the Superb Renaults, the newly revitalised McLaren, the currently woeful Williams and Blatantly fast BARs as a top team as I think Toyota can be. Yes i didnt mention ferrari, i hate them, down with them.

Heres hoping that my favourite two drivers ever return to the grid next year to join my current two favs Alonso and trulli

"Not exactly sure that the problem lies with Scumacher, but the fact that over the past few years drivers have been able to buy there drives for the lower teams and that has seen the talent pool dry up. Rubens knew what he was getting into when he signed for the scarlet ferraris he was number 2, and if you look at it it makes sense. If you own a formula 1 team like ferrari your budged for a year is something in the region of £120 million would you then go and tell your drivers to win at all costs if you had million pound motors at speeds of 170 mph."

You just proved my point, its supposed to be a sport, yet what aspect of sport involves lack of competition, not properly racing, and just overall concern with money and nothing else. All the teams have million pound motors. Wouldn't seem a trifle pointless to invest this money in something you don't really want to use. The idea is to race and win and make more money, if its just about oo no we don't want to race properly, Rubens u cant race him, then you may as well abandon the so-called sport, because that's not competitive or fair.

And Schumacher a genius? Let Rubens race him first, then u can make that judgement.