Racism or Opinion

E2K

Just in the chatroom a while ago. A regular user of this forum said that he/she "don't like blacks", used the term "n***er music", and then told me to "grow up" over having a go at him/her because it's "just an opinion". I was also told to "mind your own business".

Now here's one of the chatroom rules, as copied and pasted and emphasised accordingly:

"We discourage any of the following activity that:

Victimize, harass, degrade or intimidate an individual or group of individuals on the basis of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, race, religion or sexual orientation. Hate speech is unacceptable anywhere on the service."

OK, so am I over-reacting? Is this against the rules or what? Is it racism or is it just an opinion? That person had no idea whether there was a black person in the room or not. Look, I'm fairly laid-back, but this pissed me off big-time. This person would have me believe that I'm immature just cos I reacted badly to it. Maybe that person would like to come onto this thread and put their point of view across? And so that everyone else can give their take on this maybe?

One other thing. The mod who was in at the time said that it wasn't his/her place to boot someone for having an opinion (whether it's racist or not I suppose?). Then he/she said that "THEY say worse things about US". Wonder who they coulda been talking about? Maybe that mod would like to come on as well and give their side?

This pissed me off greatly.

And I aint black. Wonder how I'd feel if I was?

Thats disgusting, some people should keep their opinions to themselves, preferably the person you were talking about....although im very interested to hear their rationale behind such views....actually come to think of it i couldnt give a toss what their reasoning is because there's obviously something seriously wrong with them!!!!

Being the mod that was in the rooma at the time, i observed the conversation and done what i could to defuse it. I cannot ban which is why i left it as long as i did to boot the person due to the amount of friction it would cause.

I do not agree with the persons opinion and i am sorry for anyone i may have offended by my lack of immediate action but i did boot the person twice when the conversation had died down a bit.

Perhaps this person should be named? Anyway its wrong whoever said it.

I have to disagree actually. While the event took place while I was not in the chat room, I would like to add my comments to the situation.

This person, who said the clearly racist remark should have been booted fromt he chatroom if it is in the rules. If not, maybe staff should amend the rules or adhere to them more often. That is nothing to do with me, but as for this person, whoever you are, I don't think he/she should be named. I mean, I wouldn't like it if I said something (It could have simply been taken the wrong way) and it was shouted about the forums. As long as this person understands what he/she has said has caused offence and apologises for it then I see no further problem.

Thanks,

Richard Flair

I have to disagree actually. While the event took place while I was not in the chat room, I would like to add my comments to the situation.

This person, who said the clearly racist remark should have been booted fromt he chatroom if it is in the rules. If not, maybe staff should amend the rules or adhere to them more often. That is nothing to do with me, but as for this person, whoever you are, I don't think he/she should be named. I mean, I wouldn't like it if I said something (It could have simply been taken the wrong way) and it was shouted about the forums. As long as this person understands what he/she has said has caused offence and apologises for it then I see no further problem.

Thanks,

Richard Flair

It was clearly against the rules going to E2Ks statement and Kam backing it up, and it was clearly racist. Anyone in the chat can feel free to name names and I wouldn't disagree with it, in this situation. I can understand at certain times people could twist the comments in the wrong way to their advantage, but on this occasion I think everyone in the chat agrees that this went way too far.

On the other hand, these racist comments could very well come from another fake account, where someone is logging on as someone else as some kind of sick joke, and in this case it really would be a sick joke.

I think the advantage here of naming is that the forum member (or chat member) could very well be unaware that "they" said it if it is the case of a fake account.

Taki, I do have one question for you however. You say you were trying to "defuse the situation" while by E2K's post it looks like you were adding to the situation. I can understand the problem that you can't ban, but when I couldn't ban I'd just constantly kick someone as soon as they entered as they were to me considered as good as banned. Just a little curious question and advice.

I'll just say that I'm not gonna name the person. I'm sure that the person in question WAS actually using their own name (i.e. not using someone else's name) cos certain people in the chatroom have certain traits (i.e. using a certain avatar, using certain symbols like :D and :) a lot, certain sense of humour, etc) that are kinda unmistakeable. However, on the off-chance that it wasn't that person, it wouldn't be fair to name.

Most of all though, one of the reasons I started this thread was to see if that person would come on here and defend their "opinion" as they called it. That person can come on here if they want and admit it, and try and back up what they said and why. Hopefully they will.

It's a shame this happened cos up until now, I've never seen anything like that on the forum or in the chatroom.

It was me, I'm not afraid to admit that. You went off on your high horse, its that simple.

In the chat room, we were discussing music. Most agreed to like rock music, and then discussed what other genres of music we like. I said I don’t like ni**a music, I repeat, ni**a MUSIC!!! I did not say I do not like nigga people. Not then anyhow. I did not want to take this anymore than that.

I was then called a racist for saying “Nigga”, fair enough I suppose. I could have used a better word. So, I was called a racist for saying I don’t like ni**a music, yes? As I said, I didn’t really want to take this situation any longer, as in expressing my opinion on some blacks. They contained to say I was racist blah blah. I didn’t intend to bring this discussion up with my comment on their music, not at all. I then said and I will repeat this twice, I don’t like some blacks, SOME BLACKS!!!! As people were on their high horse they didn’t really listen and continued to say I didn’t like blacks etc etc. I was getting a lot of grief right now. I explained myself and said that I don’t like some blacks. Blacks who con the system, taxes, you name it. Blacks who come into this country and have an house, car whatever. It pisses me off.

I didn’t intend for this conversation to be brought up. As I stated, it was a music comment only. A comment, which people took and overreacted too.

As you all think I should be banned, ban me. I don’t want to continue posting on a forum knowing people don’t like me, I don’t want the grief. We all have an opinion, we all have the right to express it some time or another. I didn’t intend to express mine there. Take that as you will.

Chris

You know, I also might add. If your going to judge me on ONE opinion, its your loss. I've spoken to ALOT of people in this chat room, infact, almost every person who replied in this thread. I've gotten on with all of you. If you now dislike me for one opinion, god help you in the real world when someone says something you dont like nor agree with. I've not lost anything, I wont persue myself to be something I'm not to make you happy. I'm me, if you dont like me, fair enough. I cannot change your opinion as you cannot change mine.
  • Like 1

First off CJR, this ain't about not liking you. If you recall, me and you got on fine in the chatroom before this, we had a laugh, we cracked some jokes. In fact, a pretty class thread came out of one of our conversations. So this ain't about not liking you; this is about the fact that you said something stupid that I found offensive, something that most people WOULD find offensive.

Now, what I saw you saying CJR, was "I don't like blacks". I read it and re-read it a few times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things, cos that ain't exactly the kinda thing I'd expect to be said in there. You then QUALIFIED the statement by saying SOME blacks, but the first statement you made there was pretty bad and it wasn't made any better by watering it down like that.

Now as for the n***a music comment; that word is a derogatory term for black people, how could you expect not to get called a racist for that? At the time, I said nothing, hoping you'd just gotten carried away and would apologise for it and move on. Then came that statement that really got me pissed. "I don't like blacks". Not SOME. And I have absolutely NO reason to blame you in the wrong here CJR. That's what you said, it was up there in black and white, I read it several times.

As for going off on my high-horse, I was worried at first that that's how I'd be perceived, but am I meant to apologise for being offended by racist comments?

And one more thing, honest question: why, when people are calling you a racist for using the term "n****a music" would you counter by saying you don't like blacks (or "some" blacks)?

I don't know if you're a racist, I don't know you personally. All I know for sure is that you DID make racist comments last night.

And I have absolutely NO reason to blame you in the wrong here CJR.

No, not at all. I'm in the wrong for expressing an opinion on something? You express your opinion on not liking racism, do I say your wrong?

In todays society people have many opinions, you may like them or not like them, the fact is you have to put up with them. Thats life. I'm NOT in the wrong at all. I'm not going to turn this thread into a banter thread. I've said all I need too say.

Goodbye.

There is no other way to take it but as a racist comment!

From Dictionary.com

nig·ger ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ngr)

n. Offensive Slang

a) Used as a disparaging term for a Black person: “You can only be destroyed by believing that you really are what the white world calls a nigger” (James Baldwin).

b) Used as a disparaging term for a member of any dark-skinned people.

Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people: “Gun owners are the new niggers... of society” (John Aquilino).

As E2K mentioned previously ANY talk like that is unacceptable at Talk Wrestling Online.

As a result, I'm putting you on the TWO cool-off period for 7 days, its up to you whether you would like to come back or not.

How many "people of African Heritage" (to be politically correct) use the term "nigger"? So therefore why is it wrong for a white person to use the term "Nigger"? OK it used to be used as a racist term (and in some situations it still is) but people and time have moved on.

I was actually taking exception to his attitude towards the situation. I could care less what he thinks about black people or who he calls a "nigga".

However, I really hate the mentality of people who come into a place, with set clear rules, and think that they can say what they want without fear of reprimand or consequence because it's "freedom of speech and opinion". If I break a rule by speaking out of turn, I fully accept any consequence that will come my way. I don't believe in that "freedom of speech" crap. I think some people use it too much, and especially here when there are obviously set rules and regulations, that freedom doesn't apply.

I wasn't being sarcastic in my comment. I was heeding warning to future users who may wanna try the same tricks.

The problem is with this arguement is there is 2 sides to it. You have CJR syaing he said "some blacks" (to be truthful we all dislike people no matter of there race, so if he said some blacks it wouldnt suprise me if loads of people dislike "some blacks") but if E2K is right saying he said "all blacks" than that is offensive.

I think to say "nigga music" is fine. Listen to a lot of rap even mainstream rap and they themselves call it "nigga music" and in pretty much every song, refer to themselves as niggas with no offence.

There is defiently 2 sides to this story and I dont know who to believe. I spoken to both and they are nice guys.

Usually I go pretty easy on what most people would class as racism. I'll describe a black man as a black man and he can describe me as a white man and theres no problem, some might find that offensive, my opinion is that as long as all races are treated as equal there's no problem.

The word nigger in my opinion is offensive to black people, black comedians such as Chris Rock started to use the word nigger to describe themselves to sort of counter whites who continued to use it, ie he calls himself a nigger so can you offend him by calling him it? It's still an offensive comment.

CJR saying he doesn't like some blacks isn't offensive, thats his opinion and he's entitled to it, I'm sure there are plenty of whites who he dislikes aswell. If he'd said I don't like black music, thats fine, because I say that all the time. The word nigger is not acceptable though.

Curseword used originally by white people, taken over by black people as a name to show their proudness, and take off the edge; positive: "my nigga": my friend. "I don't want to be called yo nigga" - Public Enemy

In terms of music the word nigga is no longer offensive, and often underground rap music is referred to as nigga music. I wasnt in the converstaion so I dont know how the word was used but this could help.