Monday Night Wars pt.2???

From 411

TNA management, TNA wrestlers, and FOX are all happy thus far with how Impact! is coming off as well as the ratings for the show. Thus far, the show is doing roughly a 0.3 rating which instantly puts it right up with The Best Damn Sports Show as Fox Sports Network's highest rated shows. The rating is also close to what WWE Velocity draws each week.

FOX executives are starting to realize that if given a primetime slot, the show would easily become the highest rated show on the network.

Meanwhile, a move to the FX Network (also owned by FOX) continues to be a possibility. Many feel that it would be best to put Impact! in a Monday primetime slot to go head to head with RAW. The idea there would be to generate the buzz of the Monday Night Wars again and thus expand the wrestling audience all together.

Credit: Torch Newsletter

The rating is also close to what WWE Velocity draws each week.

That is the key part. WWEs worst show is better than TNAs best. But if FOX gave it a primetime slot I guess it would become bigger but there is still a massive gap between the two shows.

um well basically I dont think Impact is TNAs best show as they obviously need to make the ppvs better to justify people paying ten dollars a week to watch it but at the moment i dont think TNA is ready for a Monday Night War. Wait until they sign some more wwe talent

I dont think there will be much of a war. TNA cant touch the WWE on its best day when WWE are on its worst day. Im hoping they improve tho and seriously challange the WWE, because then the WWE would have to up there game and would have to improve :thumbsup .

I do agree with people when they say at the moment TNA isn't really up to the WWE standards in many ways, but in saying that, moving them to a Monday Night prime time slot would surely give them more viewers and at the same time show TNA as a competitor. I think alot of fans are displeased with the WWE and want an alternative. Also after WCW was bought I think alot of the "old school" NWA / WCW loyalist fans turned away from wrestling altogther, if TNA in some way could attract these fans back I think they could stand a chance in competing with the WWE.

But TNA still need to find a direction for theirthey product in, if they can find it, and then with some bigger names to draw the fans attention, I think could compete.

Its great news for TNA that they have been so well received, but i think it is a bit too early for anyone to think about them being moved to a primetime slot. If anything they should continue to build an audience where they are, improve the product they are putting out, and give the company some direction. After they have built a decent fan-base and consistently produce quality programming then they should think about the primetime slots. Even then they should not go straight into a "Monday Night war" as it could be just a suicide move for the company.

Just for the record, there is not a major gap between Velocity and IMPACT! Impact is only a .1 or .2 behind. That's only a few thousand, and considering Velocity is in a decent timeslot and Impact isn't, TNA is doing very well.

Agreed, TNA isn't ready for the WWE, but I think the best plan of action is for Impact to beat Velocity and Heat in the ratings. In about 3 or so months, I can see Impact having risen at least by .1 to a .4, and being moved to a better timeslot where they can build up to a 0.8/9. The use of guys like Jeff Hardy will only help their cause. I'm no fan of Hardy, but I appreciate the pulling power he will have, and will probably be one of the only guys who can draw.

Then, after about two years, I can see a deal being struck with FX if TNA continue to grow, which'd probably move them away from a Monday night war and possibly to a Friday again, but in a better timeslot, where people who know WWE can have their alternative, grow a tolerence towards WWE, and THEN move to the Monday night slot.

Chances are that won't happen whilst Jarrett is champion, but I can always dream.

ok well first off velocity usually averages around a 0.6...the 0.3 it received recently was the lowest rating the show has ever had, its not the average rating of the show

therefore, velocity still usually doubles the rating of impact

i hope TNA can eventually challenge WWE, but i doubt they can

But again, Impact is on at a much worse timeslot than Velocity, and is around a month into it's series. Considering it's only just got TV and is getting half of what WWE's B-level show does, I don't think that's bad at all.

I agree TNA isn't ready yet, but the devil deserves its due.

i agree its a good start for them...i'd love to see them make it to monday night but i really doubt they can

it'll be incredibly difficult...on OTR vince mentioned that he doubts even a ted turner would start up against him again as the costs to do so are astronomical and you don't realize a return for ages...in other words you have to be willing and able to accept a huge loss for a long time (i'm talking in financial terms)

TNA have a made losses since they started. ECW made losses all it's life. So Vince is right in that circumstance. But who knows. Maybe in ten years, RoH will have overtaken TNA and will be viable competition to WWE (let's hope not), or Turner may have returned. Who knows.

Perosnally, I think the only viable moneyspinner in wrestling within the next 5 years will be WWE 24/7. But I think it will only show everyone just how far the product has sunk.

Even if TNA would get beaten by WWE.... surely this is only a good thing in that it'd keep Vince on his toes for a bit... something which he obviously deserves whilst he has someone like Bradshaw as champion.

I don't rate TNA at the moment but I don't think it can be any worse than Smackdown is right now. For me this sounds like a good idea.

TNa isnt ready yet simply down to the fact i dont think they are as strong as they have been or could be. I certainly think the way WWE misuses and releases people at the moment this could lead to some bigger and bigger names jumping ship and i certainly think that Bob holly and Billy Gunn will be two of them which in my opinion would be great for TNA.

When TNA is strong enough 6 months to a year down the line then go for it by all means because the slump wwe are in is getting bigger and i certainly think TNA have the potential to be one of the biggest feds.

Plus lets hope Jarrett has the NWA title at the time as he is superb, probably better than HHH in my eyes

Hey, maybe not a Monday night war, but maybe a Thursday night war. Smackdown being the weaker of the two shows seems to be an easier target to draw fans away from. I think the wrestling fan will check out TNA for a bit and see some of those crazy moves that they do and like that style better, sure they may lose money for a while, but with time they can make up those losses. Thursday is a big TV night for americans and now with shows like Friends and Fraiser gone from our screens, it could be a good choice to make.

TNA is still very young, but with youth comes determination and with determination comes strength.

Steve