Have You Ever Been In the Ring?

MachoMat

I was wandering the archives and ran across a thread that made me wonder something. Here's the question:

Have you ever wrestled an amateur or pro match? Playing around with your friends or your significant other doesn't count!

Personally I have not. BUT... the year after I graduated, my high school started a wrestling team. I got to watch my younger brother participate and help him practice. He was pretty darn good too. he would get inside, get a bear-hug-type hold, drive his chin into his opponents sternum. This usually cause them to instinctively pull back. then he would drive them backward and down, HARD! It worked well for him. And I've been taken in by that move before so I know it hurts.

ive had 3 training sessions now working on lockups technical stuff bumping and bigger spots like slams and its been brilliant, it doesn hurt when doing it its the day after that hurts like hell

after the first session i felt physically sick when i got home and i felt sick, i went to bed at like 5 pm and got up about 11pm and went online for an hour then went back to bed the next morning it took me 2 hours just to even roll out of bed and i was in agony every little move i made

it hurts less now my body is adapting to it and also toning up so its not so bad now but i definetly have respect for people in the business

i know the basics and i'm going to attend the TNA Gutcheck later this year. I'm gonna at least give my dream a shot' date=' if it doesn't work i have a fall back plan of writing. It did hurt at first but know not nearly as much.[/quote']

TNA gutcheck are u loaded or something? its so expensive to get in there and i bet 90% of people who pay the inital fee for the first day thing dont get in

i prefer my quiet nice little school, then maybe someday anyway i can job to JJ on TNA :wub JJ the God

Started as a backyarder.. wanted more... my mate Spam knew a guy who drank in our pub... we went and begged showed him our tapes... he patted me and the shoulder and asked me how I was still walking and said it was his moral duty to train us the bumps to go with our moves...

I spent months getting the snot knocked out of me, back bumps, front bumps, flip bumps, backflip bumps if you can do em and they are winding... every bump they could throw at me... Holds, locks, slams, punches and kicks...

We even had a cage in the classic bars style that I forced them to teach me to bump off... its not a precise science but practise helps....

I worked openers when they said I was ready, I fought my hardest and best, wore my influences on my sleeve and did m best to put on a show... Then I blew my knee and it hurts, I wanna get back in but I keep getting a set back after set back...

One day the Gringo will return and he will land his Skullburner... go to the top and land his Shooting Star one last time... and I can't wait for that day!

I would love to be in the back on that day Gringo!

Good Luck!

As some of you may, or may not know. I was also a backyard wanna be in my youth!

I would come home with some bumps and bruses, and my poor Ma would think that I had the stuffing beat out of me...and for the most part, she was right! I used to worry her somthing fierce!(RIP Ma :( )

At the gym I used to work out at, they used to hold kickboxing classes complete with a ring and everything. After my workout I would climb into the ring and work on my bumps. A few of the guys would gather around and laugh at me...bastards.

The day after a work out I would be one sore and sorry dude. I kept at it though and after a week or so I caught the attention of one of the guys at the Gym.

As it so happens, he used to wrestle for Rocky Mountan Pro Wrestling. He wasn't very succesful and only wrestled for a few years, but after seeing me in the ring, making a fool out of myself, he generously climbed into the ring with me and started giving me a few pointers. Eventuly a few guys followed suit and joined us in our abuse! This soon became a weekly thing. A sort of unofficial wrestling class.

I spoke to the owner of the gym with a friend of mine. This friends father and the owner were good long time friends. I asked him if it would be possable if we could hold weekly matches and maybe charge a few dollars admission...all of which would go to the gym, of course!

He reluctantly agreed, stating that he would not be responsable for any injuries.

Thus Steel City wrestling was bourn! We never had more than maybe ten or so people show up, but we(about eight guys and two girls) acted like we were main eventing at MSG!

We had fun(and very few injuries. thankfully none were serious) for about six months, when we were informed that the owner had sold the gym to a development company.

They would tear down our gym and build a Pharmacy in its place.

Sad. I know!

That was the end of that!

That was about four years ago. I still talk to a few of the guys and we hope one day to officialy re-start Steel City 'Thunder' pro wrestling!

My dream...Wish me luck!

This

Done a little amateur stuff at high school as part of Rugby training, then moved on submission holds in my first job as a Police Officer.

But that all went to bobbins after I lost a real "No holds barred, Hardcore, Street-fight" outside a Hotel one night and when somebody went all HBK on me and helped me copy Marty Jennety.

Have thought about maybe becoming a ref or manager though and have done some commentating on Various events, from Pro-Wrestling Videos and Football (thats soccer to the americans), to Motor sports and Radio.

I have also used some moves whilst acting on stage.

I trained for about 6 months then had my first match cancelled from underneath me on the night cos my opponent no showed :-( Then I refereed a couple of shows for BXW until that folded. Then unfortunately i moved and am no longer near enough a school to train and i'm always away on weekends so can't train then. Maybe one day i'll get back into it. I loved it and was a great shame to stop. Never ever got to wrestle in a match infront of a crowd though. Oh yeah and my original debut in a rumble ( i was the ref and had set up a spot with a mate to get thrown in the ring when he entered after him hitting me with a snap suplex on the outside). That got cancelled too cos the show ran long, i guess it was never meant to be.

Guess i'm just one of those crazy b*******s who stuck with wrestling, cos I love it so much.

The pain of breakfalling is becoming less and less as my body develops and moulds itself to the activity I chose.

I'm doing shows now, for my company and independently, and I am very close to my first year as a wrestler.

Of course I am in the pricelidged position of sharing some of the things i have learnt, if you want to read click on the "my articles" in my gumph down there.

Saracen

I used to do some backyard stuff with my brother and some mates, quite enjoyed it at first but after about 3 months of doing it I had(still have), pulled tendens in my knee and a compressed bone in my spine from a very bad last ride! (yes it hurt like hell!) I'd never make a good wrestler really, I'm too tall to be a cruiserweight (5'11) but to thin to be a heaveyweight.

I really enjoyed it at first, I played the Crusierweight bully, but after a while thou I got bored with it, packed it in and now live the quite life. ;)

I wrestled pro for several years from 1998 or so until November 2001. I got fed up with losing so much money on travel and dealing with asshole promoters, like Brian Dixon, so I jacked it in. My son was just born and losing that much money and draving all over the UK, away from home for days at a time wasnt something I was interested in continuing.