The Homeless

What are your thoughts on the homeless?

Seeing as this is my 500th post, i feel i better say something worthwhile. :devil

Personally i hate them. I walk past them in the streets, and i do not feel sorry for them, i feel angry.

I don't want to give them money, i don't want to buy them meals, i want them to go away.

I'm not sure what to do around them to be honest. In one way I wanna reach into my pocket and give em some of my money, but I don't know what they're going to spend it on so I'm a bit reluctant. I would much rather give the money to organisations that help the homeless.

I dont hate them but I think all have a CHOICE between the streets and a council house/bedsit so that part annoys me. I feel most do it for pity and lazyness because if they had a house they would need a job etc and cant be arsed. I dont mind them sat down on the floor but when they pester you for a quid or whatever i hate that.

I also fail to feel sorry for the homeless littering the streets. I don't see how if you're prepared to work hard in life and stay away from drugs/drink then you can't manage to have a reasonably successful lifestyle. But the fact is, so many people who live out on the streets are only there because they drank or did drugs to just an extreme that they were left pennyless.

One of the first times I went to Glasgow on my own, a guy came up to me outside the train station. His teeth were rotting and yellow, he stunk and his clothes were pretty shabby. He said to me "I just missed my train and don't have enough money on me to get another ticket, you don't have 50p do you mate?". I was really suspicious, but I had plenty of cash on me at the time so I didn't mind giving him the cash. After I gave it to him, he said "It's actually a pound, sorry pal, do you mind?" and being the fool I am I went to hand over a pound coin and take back the 50p. He said "Do you mind if I could just hang onto the 50?" and I was starting to lose my temper. I told him that I'd like it back and he started saying "Listen, I don't really need a train, I need something to eat, it's been days since I've eaten and I'm starving". Maybe it was a lie, but I let him keep the £1.50 and just walked away.

That really put me off giving to beggars. I was nice enough to give him 50p, which I didn't need to, and then it turned to a pound and he was still asking for more. I don't doubt for a second that he spent it on a pint.

Another time I was in Glasgow waiting for my dad. I saw a beggar pull out his mobile phone, send a text then put it away again. 5 minutes later a girl in decent looking clothing came up to him, they talked then he kissed her goodbye. That was another eye opener, as the chances are that the guy is just a conman looking for a quick buck.

The worst situation was when I was late for meeting one of my pals at a resteraunt. I ran past a guy who was begging and in the moment I ignored him when he said "Any spare change?". He then got up, came running after me at 100mph and for some reason I decided to stop running and stand there waiting for him to catch up to me. He didn't give me a clothesline or stab me, he just told me that last night someone had stolen all his Big Issues and his ID. He asked me for money, but I was just in too much of a hurry to be sympathetic, so I apologised and walked away. The guy kept coming with me, begging me. Eventually he gave up when I just stopped talking to him, and he went off to bother the next person.

I do try to be a caring, sharing person in life. I always try to ask people how they are, I always offer food/drink to any friends around me if I'm eating, I'm good at listening to people's stories, problems or thoughts in general. But I don't have a lot of time for people who make my day harder by personally asking me for money. It might sound incredibly selfish, but I can feel guilty for hours after refusing to give money. It's going to keep getting to me every time I visit a major city, but nothing will change.

There are enough jobs out there for people who want them, and loads around for people with no qualifications. Things like bin men and road sweepers don't need a PHD, but are essential services. This might sound terrible, but I don't like giving away my money on the street to someone who could be a conman, a lazy bastard or a liar who's going to spend it on booze/drugs.

My life, philosophies, perspective and outlook are shaped by the Bible. It is the duty of a christian to help others. More than once I have given to the needy and always will.

HOWEVER

It is NOT my duty to help people be lazy and shiftless. I will help the genuinely needy but not bums. If you're just too sorry to work and better yourself then don't even ask me for "help".

I NEVER give money. If they say they need food I'll buy them food. I use my money to purchase them something to eat. I offer them the food. If they reject it, no problem. I'll eat it myself. I will not finance someones drinking or drug use and thats usually where cash goes.

Like Russ said, there are jobs. They may not be glamour jobs but there are jobs. And its no one elses fault. You make your own choices and end up where you are by your own hand. "The man" is not out to get you or hold you down. I needed college money. I did 6 years military to get the money. I paid my own way.

I feel the same as Russ and MachoMat.

I never ever give money to the homeless. I have, once before, but as has been said - there are jobs for them. The one time I did give a homeless man money he didn't beg or anything, he was just sat there looking suicidal so I gave him a coupla quid. No harm done.

The best stories I have is one my mum told me. In the town centre there is a Tesco Metro, and a lot of homless people beg around there. Anyway this lady walks into Tesco and buys a couple of apples and some rolls, and a bottle of water and gives it to this homeless guy and says "this is the food you've been asking for" - the homeless guy just scowled at her. Another reason why I have no sympathy.

The next best story is when me and my friend, about 3 weeks ago, were walking through town. Some man begged, my friend rooted through his pockets but only had 10p on him, so gave him the 10p. The homeless guy said "is that all? I didn't ask for 10p!!", so my friend said "fair enough" and just picked the 10p up and walked off.

The worst story is when I was in college and walking through town with a different friend. A very generous mormon as it goes, and this homeless guy asks him for some money, so my mate puts his hands in his pocket, roots out some change (about £8.50 in total) and gives this homeless guy £1. The guy then says "come on, you've got more there, hand it over", so my friend (a little scared) goes to pick out the 50p coin. But the homeless guy says "no, not the 50p, give me a f*cking pound!". So my friend gives him a £1 coin and puts the rest in his pocket. The homeless guy then stands up and says "what about the 50p you were going to give me?", to which my friend replied "you wanted the £1". The homeless guy starts saying "AND the 50p you prick!"

I couldn't believe it. My mate even tried just walking away but the homeless guy followed him. In the end a lot of college kids ended up showing up and the homeless guy got the hint. Shocking behaviour!

Cheers!

as a homeless hobo sitting here with my wifi laptop underneath KFC in Luton town centre i can echo all your views. Dont give money to us, we are all just failers at getting on the property ladder. I earn 40k as a banker but due to investing in WCW shares i have to sell big issues in the evening to keep up my repayments on the lexus. Believe me its a tough job to look rugged, armani suits just dont work so i have to shop at bhs, do you know what a deprived life that is. luckly a spray on beard and eau de pee sprayed liberally give me the hobo look.

I was once living in a homeless shelter, and belive me theres less help about for homeless people over the age of 25 than you would think!

Yes, the people who pester you like that are probably on something stronger than asprin. But for every one of those there are six real homeless people who desperetly need your help.

The people who sell the Big Issue don't get the full pound from it. They give back any unsold copies and a small ammount (25p I think) goes to the publishing costs. So I just give the seller the pound and dont take a copy, that way they get the full money and I dont carry around a paper that I wont read and will just throw in the rubbish.

Being homeless is not a fun thing. Please be careful, some people are genuine.

I'll buy a big issue from a licensed vendor, because it's just something I do. The boyf does the same, usually gives them £2 and lets them keep the rest. I try not to give money to bums and tramps, but will generally give cash to the ones with the dogs.

Never have and never will give them money. I don't doubt that they have "problems" but I have problems of my own to deal with. I don't doubt that the problems they have are greater than mine but the problems they have tend to be of their own creation.

I was out drinking with the ex- a few months ago, sat outside a pub in Bristol, early evening, and this hobo wanders up with a single, sorry-looking copy of the B'Issue. I'm thinking "I'm sure they spray painted B'Issue pitches on the pavements around the centre a few months ago..." but the Ex- gets a quid out to pay for magazine.

"Actually love, it's my last one, can I just have the money?"

Th Ex- dithers so I said "No,"

"Why the **** not? She was going to give it to me anyway!"

"She was going to buy something from you that you obviously had no intention of selling. **** off and die, please."

So that was nice.

I can't envisage a position in which I'd become homeless myself. I can't even imagine being out of work. "Oh, I can't get a job..." is a lie. There are burgers to be cooked, floors to be mopped, streets to be swept. "I can't get a job..." can usually be translated to "I can't get a job that is as 'respectable' as I'd like," - the hell with self-respect, you're signing on!

I gets a little pi**y about this subject. :)

A.C. if your homeless and don't have a bank account these days they won't let you sign on...

And I sign on at the moment!

But enough about that... I hate the fact that I am unemployed and have no money... when my mate buys me a beer I hate the fact that I don't know when I can buy him one back and I hate the fact that it gets longer in timescale as I sit here both knees in braces and supports typing...

But the fact is I try to find work, I have worked in some real s**t holes all over Lancashire... Accrington packing gifts and maintating a production line, Shift clothes in a warehouse, loading Boots vans, making carpets and shipping them, you name it and in the last year I've done it as a temp... Hell go to Rochdale town centre at night and look at the clock face... when you see its lit up remember this I was up there and nearly fell through the bugger wiring the lights....

I have qualifications but still people want experiance and some one who can spells (lol) so I get pushed aside for jobs...

So when I look down and see a pissed bloke in Nike Trainers and clothes that cost a fair bit asking me for money I feel like kicking his ass right into the Job Centre, making him ring the number of a warehouse job and make him break his back so he can pay his way through life and face what we all face everyday!

The homeless charitys get my money and old clothes and sheets because they might make a differance, but the bum on the pavement wants my money, no help and I need my money for life not crap like him... So I point out the job centre, Rochdale Housing, Shelter and the Savi Army to him and say go there....

And if I ever mrun into the guy that followed me through the Arndale centre a week ago in Manchester after he originally pestered me outside the Triangle then I will quite gladly bounce his head off my knee.... He went past a gizillion people but because I passed a quid to my girl for a drink he followed me round like a bad smell... How did I get rid? I simply pointed out that by the count of 10 if he wasn't gone I'd make him lose the rest of his teeth...

Bums...

Archived