Vinnie Mac

E2K

I already started a thread on what I think of the McMahons as performers. This one’s about Vince McMahon, the businessman, and it comes straight from the heart.

He may well be wrestling’s biggest ever REAL villain. I recently saw the “Monday Night War” dvd. Throughout, I was treated to Vince whining and crying about how WCW were going too far, about how they stooped to the depths, about how they wanted to run him out of business. Then you have Gerald Brisco, who comes off like a complete prick, running his mouth. And everybody interviewed basically sucks up to him (as you’d expect them to, they’re under contract), and says how great Vince is, and what an evil sumbitch Eric Bischoff was. Bull.

I enjoyed the dvd immensly, basically because it’s just such a great story. But I thank God that I’m knowledgable enough about what went on to see past WWE’s inevitable revisions and such crap. It’s like the NWO dvd they brought out a while back; take every interview with a grain of salt, try not to laugh, and just concentrate on the action. Really, my heart bled for Vince as I watched it. I rubbed my thumb and forefinger together – the world’s smallest violin playing just for him (watch Reservoir Dogs).

Basically it got me thinking about Vince McMahon. I don’t like him very much. He’s a great performer, but outside of that I can’t stand the man. Like I said, he may be the greatest villain in the history of the industry. While Hogan and Nash screwed up WCW, while Vince Russo is a feckless moron, while HHH is a selfish prick, nobody comes close to Vince. You can take what he did to Bret Hart as a starting-point. That was the first time the public ever really saw that side of Vince. Since then he’s been revealed to be, well, a ****.

And a hypocrite too. He whines and cries on that dvd like he never put all those companies out of business in the eighties, like he never used any dirty tricks. They try to portray Bischoff as an SOB, but I’ll tell you, he comes off as honest and down-to-earth every time I see him. He might have made some mistakes, but he had WWF on the run for many years and came up with some great concepts, something which Vince has always seemed unable to admit.

Nobody ever leaves Vince’s company on good terms with him. NEVER. And as a fan, I’m really pissed off that my enjoyment of the programme is consistently spoiled by Vince’s ego, and also the egos of others who he allows to get away with it cos, oh I dunno, he’s his son-in-law!! All of these things have been building up. I needed to vent. Thank you.

Gonna Disagree Here.

Another good post E2K had your Weetabix? lol. :xyx

Anyway sorry man but I love Vince man and performer, there is a certain confidence I relate to with him, not an arrogance as his character will come across with, but his never say die and never lie down attitude.

Yes, he did use tactics unbecoming of a gentleman in the eighties, but a lot of the performers who he put out of work eventually came to work for him in one capacity or another. That being said I like Easy E as well as he shares the same sense of business acumen as Vince and is why when Vince made Eric GM of Raw it wasn't really a big surprise to me.

Because of Vince McMahon we now have a thriving PPV industry, yeah he invented the idea and made it possible with time effort and investment. Vince is a rare human being he has vision and ruthlessness. As Muhammed Ali once said of himself " it doesn't matter that I'm heavyweight Champion of the World, if I was a garbage man, I'd be the Greatest Garbage Man of All Time."

This applies to Vince, he has a world view others rarely see and over the years no matter what, he has given the fans whatever they want to see.

"If ya wanna see Austin vs McMahon gimme a Hell Yeah!"

"Vince's Head Meet 'Takers Shovel, 'Taker's Shovel, Vince's Head...DONG!!!

Vince has said now that his on-screen Mr McMahon character is dead and gone, and I say good leave us with those memories Vince.

As far as no-one leaving on good terms with Vince, The Rock is still on good terms and Mick Foley and granted there are few others but that is what is expected in the Wacky World Of Pro Wrestling, however how many bridges have been permanently burned with Vince, Nash insulting him and dressing as him, no, Hogan trying to put him out of business, no, Hall raging alchoholic, no even Eric Bischoff himself the man who gave away all the results of Raw before they happened, no, the reason... money. Vince McMahon is a bonafide genius and I for one am waiting with baited breath for his autobiography.

Spiritchaser.

Levelling. :thumbsup

You see, the thing is, one or two people leaving the company on bad terms is one thing; but look at all the people who have left that company on bad terms; Bruno Sammartino was badly treated, Bret Hart, Steve Austin, Jeff Jarrett, Bill Goldberg, Randy Savage. Most of them came back for the money, but I honestly believe that it was more than money which drove them out in the first place (I realise that I've given out about Goldberg's monetary demands here before, but I've come to the conclusion since that it was more about power than money). Rock and Sock haven't left completely just yet; but when they do it could well be on bad terms as well.

Yeah Man, Vince is all about power, like I said it takes people like that to make the world go around. Vince gave these guys a job to do and when their own egos got in the way, the result as so often when egos are bruised is catastrophic.

Don't cross the Boss!

These guys are where now, except for Stone Cold who I am at present concerned for.

Whether we like it or not Vince is now a billionaire and in America where money talks and bull**** walks, Vince is a bonafide powerful man, not one whose ego has been blown up because of fan approval. That I think is the difference, wrestlers are two a-penny everyone wants to have a go and there is always someone trying to knock you off your perch, Vince is a one-off unique individual.

Spiritchaser.

Clearing.

Edited by Spiritchaser

Wrestlers might be two-a-penny but they're the ones who make McMahon his money. A little bit of respect for them might not go astray sometimes. He certainly treated Austin and Bret with very little respect in my eyes

Yeah I agree, but as 'Taker said before his Buried Alive Match with Vince this is for all the Wrestlers Vince has disrespected over the years and he mentioned Brett and Austin in the vignette, also mentioned that Vince threatened to have 'taker's wife raped, how true this is though and how real this threat was I don't know, but at the end of the day, it was Vince's last match as an active participant and he bled bucket loads to show IMO how much he loves the business, and to take the beating he took from The Deadman amplifies that thought in my mind anyway.

I think it was Vince's way of apologising to all those he had dissed over the years and he put it in an angle because that is how Vince and the other wrestlers survive together.

Spiritchaser.

Scanning.

I'm a fan of Vince McMahon, I must admit. He's just a charismatic, charming, ruthless businessman.

As Spiritchaser said; you don't cross the boss. All these great wrestlers may have been badly treated in the eyes of the fans but they shouldn't have stepped out of line in the first place.

Vince gave these guys their shot, Vince's writers built these guys up with storylines and angles, and then the wrestler thinks he knows better, and Vince gets rid of him.

It's similar to the Spice Girls: Simon Fuller MADE THEM, single-handedly. They had the talent, he has the vision. Once they had become big-time they sacked him and managed themselves. They quickly disappeared.

Cheers!

I personally dont think Vince would apologise to people hes dissed over the years in an angle or otherwise, hes had ample time and opportunity to apologise to bret hart over the years instead after it happened he comes out with his classic bret screwed bret bit. Anything vince does i think he does for the money, his match with undertaker? money. Dont get me wrong i like the character Vince Mcmahon hes funny as hell when hes on form but as a businessman hes ruthless to a ridiculous degree, but in fairness, maybe thats why im not a multi-millionaire wrestling tycoon. But at least i sleep well at night, then again i cant see Vince tossing and turning in his sleep, the problem for him is when he wakes up turns over and has to look at Linda every morning!:devil Edited by peoples eyebrow

Thats all well and good but listen, truly, without Vince there would be no wrestling on TV. Like I said before people like him make the world go around. Do you think that Vince only thinks of his own money, no... he can't afford to, literally, he pays each and every one of his performers and damn well too, though at present they may not be earning as much as say the guys were in 1997-2000, but again it's down to butts on seats.

We all hate our bosses but without them we would be no where unless we all worked for ourselves, and that just isn't viable for some folks.

Vince apologised in his own inimitable way; and he didn't have to.

And as Bobby Heenan said "if you are not in this business for money, then your a fool."

Vince is anything but...

Spiritchaser.

Scoping.

Just remember the golden rule....

The man who has all the gold makes all the rules.

Cross him at your peril, it's not sucking up, it's recognising that the person has authority and pays your bills.

Vinny is the guy who makes the rules in wrestling, he's done a lot of things I disagree with, but not for one second will I question his business acumen.

Saracen

I have to say that i h8 vince's attitude in todays wwe, I think that vince and his family were much more respectable when they were honest and lived in reality.Now he walses in every few weeks just to set up the odd match which usually sees someone like hbk or benoit being crushed by loadsa other wrestlers. He does boast bout how he won over the wcw and its wrestlers, we all loved bret hart n i think that vince lost a lot of peoples praise and respect for the way he tret him. I hope the rumours are true i hope that bret is coming bak for the one off with hbk at end of the year just to rub vinces nose in it. Please bring back some of the old values wwe/wwf used to have. U may not agree but ya no im new to this thanx

Bret's calmed down a lot now, which is a shame - someone should have let him shoot on McMahon right after Montreal, then we would have had an interview...

Vince? meh... take him or leave him. At the end of the day, he's the only one of The Big Three still in business, and has the two bookers of WCW and ECW in their heyday working for him... counts for something.

btw... welcome to the forums! :xyx

I think Vince needs to step back from changing desicions and letting people get on with there jobs... It's what he did in the attitude era and it worked, Vince stepped back on the creative side and the company took off with him as a preformer...

Oh have you heard the news... this guy there hiring is supposed to be a soap writer on a $200,000 per annum contract and he knows nothing about wrestling! So Vince's legendary business sense is coming back eh?

I realise people are saying that Vince is a great businessman, we owe him a lot, without him there'd be no wrestling on tv, people like him make the world go around, etc, etc. All true, no doubt.

The thing that's starting to get to me, as I mentioned, is his hypocrisy. He whines and cries like a little bitch periodically about how Bischoff and Turner tried to put him out of business. Just like he put so many companies out of business in the early eighties. He says that was just business. So, in my opinion, was the rivalry WCW had with WWF. So he's a hypocrite to complain about it. It's "just business".

And as far as wrestlers getting too big for their boots. Let's take an example. Steve Austin. Did Austin make a splash in WWF cos of a superb gimmick given to him by the bookers? No, Ringmaster sucked. Did the WWF creative division or Vince come up with his "Stone Cold" title? No, it was his wife. Did WWF come up with the whole "Austin 3:16" bit? No, that was Stone Cold. How many t-shirts did that phrase sell? God only knows. How did that swell the WWF coffers? Immeasurable.

See, as far as Austin went, WWE got lucky and reaped the rewards, but it should be noted that much of the initial success was down to Austin himself. So a few years later, when Austin wants control over his outside business deals, with the right to use the name "Stone Cold", which his wife came up with, they can him. I suppose he "got too big for his boots". But after all the money he made for them, that ain't right in my eyes. That's greed for power, and greed isn't business savvy.

Edited by E2K

i think vince is generally a good business man in terms of he sets targets and he tries to meet them but he also listens to the fans and he realises that the way to get people to wath is to give them stuff they want to see (yeah ive been watching Byte this from just before WM x8 with Vince lol)

i think certainly what hes doing at the moment isn't too clever simply for the fact that hes letting personal and money issues come betweent the company and some of th talent eg Goldberg, Austin etc. But then again I can see where Vince is going when the stars ask for too much money as hes trying to runa business