KAYFABE?

Danny Devine

Kayfabe is long dead, and while you have wrestlers who spend all day in the playground planning out matches that they have done on their playstation to perform infront of a paying audience then it will never come back.

Everyone does not know the 'ins and outs' of pro wrestling. They may think they do, but unless you have done it (i can see you all reaching for your keyboard now!!) you will never know, and that is not just wrestling, but promoting too. Its the same as any job. I think I know loads about football, but if I were to go on the pitch with an amature team, I would look like a fool.

People think they know the ins and outs.

Some of the so called smartest marks have no idea what really happens. I suppose there is still a little magic left in wrestling.

Kids still believe in it, and still love what happens in the ring. My kids love the wrestling and they know what happens to a certain degree, the great thing is because they are kids they can switch off the facts and enjoy the fiction, and get totally engrossed in what they are watching. They have thier favourite wrestlers and see them as something special.

Kayfabe, well its gone. Too much media and knowledge killed it....

I wouldn't say it is entirely gone, and thinking that it's gone is no excuse to throw in the towel and act like it's not.

You get a smark to wince, just once, then Kayfabe is alive.

Smarks may think Kayfabe is pathetic, but I don't, it is an institution that all wrestlers should follow, whether they believe in it or not, or just not bother getting into the ring at all.

Whether an audience thinks wrestling is "fake" or not, the show still needs to look real, it is the rule of common sense.

Kayfabe is not dead because I use it every match and I expect my opponents to as well.

Saracen

Edited by Saz

Yes kayfabe has been demolished for all sorts of reasons, but i think it is still important for wrestlers to try and adhere to it. At the end of the day you are putting on a show and the people watchign suspend belief and whatever but its naff if after the show the wrestler all coem out together or you see them all nipping off for a piss together or to the bar.

Yes kayfabe has been demolished for all sorts of reasons, but i think it is still important for wrestlers to try and adhere to it. At the end of the day you are putting on a show and the people watchign suspend belief and whatever but its naff if after the show the wrestler all coem out together or you see them all nipping off for a piss together or to the bar.

That has nothing to do with 'Kayfabe' that is professionalisim.

Bollocks, making people wince is not hard, even the worst workers could make people do that by dropping their opponent on their head.

Making people by into a match is harder than anything these days, but it can be done.

Kayfabe is not really about the work, it is about the way that a wrestler behaves.

A wrestler should never talk about wrestling within earshot of any member of the public, and that includes when they are not at shows.

A villan wrestler should never sing autographes or take pictures with the public

A villan wrestler should not sell merchandise of himself (especially sell it themselves)

there is loads more, but it is a waste of time telling it as most wrestlers don't care now anyway.

Damn right you're taking the piss - the piss out of this forum for posting spam and drivel

Nice to see sensorship is taken to the extreme once again :roll :roll

A lot fo these forums should simply be called, post what you like but if you dont agree with me i will edit your message or delete it so it takes the path I wish to follow!!!!!

This is a very touchy topic, and people have very stern views, which at times will become heated, come on. selective editing is the drizzling poops...

Gary

Nothing wrong with discussion, but do so whilst following the rules. Your post, if I remember correctly, verged on personal attack of an opinion, which is against the rule. It was also pointless for the thread. However, Kam seems to have deleted the rule concerning spam, but I know for a fact it's still to be enforced (considering how many warnings we've had to send out to people doing so).

I don't make them, I just enforce them. If you don't like it, don't come here.

I posted "get a life, I was taking the piss". That was a light harted post entering into the spirit of conversation. If that is considered as spam! I am not sure what type of posts you expect every person to make. Myself, I know that every post I make does not have to be a long diatribe.

I am also unsure of how you expect personalities to evolve on this forum if no one is allowed to joke between themselves. This is the 'Internet' and no one takes peoples post seriously.

"get a life, I was taking the piss" does not say to me "I'm being light-hearted". Maybe a smiley could help emphasise that for me next time?

I did what I thought I had to do judging by how I was allowed to perceive your comment, and I make no apologies for it.

To a degree Kayfabe MAY be dead, i was always taught that the art of real kayfab is that people know wrestling is moody, the job of the wrestler is to put the eliment of doubt in to the punters head!

The fact we're even discussing kayfabe in a public medium means we're breaking it. It's dead, it's just easier to use "keep kayfabe" in conversation than it is to use "don't go out there and s*** all over the product, you retarded bunch of ingrates"

:)

Edited by Saz

Guest iwfED

Wincing isn't a hard reaction to get, 2 code reds with serious hang time and a meanie driver (front flip piledriver) will accomplish that, But you gotta make sure your man walks away, not stretchered away. :xyx

Wincing isn't a hard reaction to get, 2 code reds with serious hang time and a meanie driver (front flip piledriver) will accomplish that, But you gotta make sure your man walks away, not stretchered away. :xyx

Contradiction in terms?

Guest iwfED
Contradiction in terms?

Sorry, u didn't quite get that one. the top line was supposed to show up as a quote. But for some reason it didn't. And i don't think i explained my point properly. I merely said getting people to wince wasn't hard. But i beleive Kayfabe runs a little deeper than that.

Sorry' date=' u didn't quite get that one. the top line was supposed to show up as a quote. But for some reason it didn't. And i don't think i explained my point properly. I merely said getting people to wince wasn't hard. But i beleive Kayfabe runs a little deeper than that.[/quote']

What I actualy said was getting a smark to wince, as in a person who thinks they know everything about wrestling, not the general fan population and of course I meant safely, that was a given.

It's hard to talk about this subject without giving too much away and I'm not going to discuss it anymore.

Saracen