Shock Tactics?

Alan

Way back when Vince and the WWF were in the midst of a war with Ted Turner and WCW both parties would stoop extremely low to get one over the opposition. It seemed as though they would use the most shocking tactics to win over the fans. Some examples are Bischoff giving away the results to the recorded Raw programme, Raw becoming a "raunchy" sex-obsessed show, and Rick Rude appearing on both shows in the same night. Turner's WCW were the ones who seemed to shock more and in the end that worked against them, however when used at the right time "shock tactics" can lead to a great increase in ratings.

Looking at todays state of business do you think that Vince needs a huge shock to put things back on track? or should he keep things obvious, especially after the disasters that were Katie Vick and the Gay wedding?

The shock and surprise that'd be caused by a significant and high-lighted cruiserweight division would be plenty for me.

For the proles, however, a shock might not do the job. They're not watching anyway so there wouldn't be enough people watching to get much mileage out of some singular incident. A big storyline, blurring the lines of kayfabe and reality, would be the kiddie. Something current that news media can grab a hold of and use to indict WWE's "controversial" content.

I think a little a "shock tactic" would do the WWE good especially on a lagging Smackdown. As long as they don't cross the line like JBL has a habit of doing sometimes. I'm not sure what they should do, but something has got to happen, because NWA/TNA is rising and Vince might find himself with competition again.

Oh and by the way A.C., imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Shock tactics for the WWE would no good, cause ud just shock the current viewers, and not gain anymore. The thing to help SD is create more stars, have better storylines, and make it more of a proper brand, and not a second rate one.

haha yeah but didnt wcws shock tactics backfire on them

first there was giving away results like saying Foley would win the title, so people turned over to watch RAW hahah

then there was WWF sending DX down to Nitro in a tank with a megaphone and them trying to get in the building and also finding out wcw gies out free tickets, how did this backfire you may ask? WCW made sure dx couldnt get in which i think was a big mistake, would u rather watch Nitro wityh wrestling the same as every week or RAW with the same or would you rather watch Nitro with WWFs top faction in a tank, something unimaginable and very shocking, viewers didnt get to see it but on RAW they could see Dx attempt it so they watched RAW to see what wcw did in response

those idiots at wcw

As long as they don't cross the line like JBL has a habit of doing sometimes.

Amen to that.

I'm not sure what they should do' date=' but something has got to happen, because NWA/TNA is rising and Vince might find himself with competition again.[/quote']

Soon as anyone starts snapping at WWE's heels they'll start feeling their oats again (we can hope)

Oh and by the way A.C.' date=' imitation is the highest form of flattery.[/quote']

That's the spirit it was meant in: :D

wouldnt you call gay weddings, necrophelia and hot lesbian action shock tactics? all those failed

even stuff like Kanes unmasking, the return of Eric Bischoff, NWO, Ric Flair and the like have only had a short term effect on spiking the ratings. seems when wwe tries to "shock" their audience, it only makes a short term splash, if any, which means they need something deeper to keep any new viewers they might attract

Seems when wwe tries to "shock" their audience' date=' it only makes a short term splash, if any, which means they need something deeper to keep any new viewers they might attract[/quote']

They need to overhaul the whole process.

They need writers who are TRUE fans and in touch with the audience as Vince admitted he is not.

They need to think more long term in regard to character development and stories.

They need to appeal to something more than our libido (although I like a pretty girl as much as anyone).

Their humor is low brow and they use smoke, mirrors, cleavage and cheap shock to make up for a lack of new ideas.

The WWE has continually used shock tactics, infact they just haven't stopped. This year alone we have Eugene which is a shock to the genre of the usual WWE wrestler because he is playing the role of a 'retard' (for want of a better term). Rico is playing the outrageously homosexual character again shocking because it is not part of the norm. The pregnancy angle on Raw has returned with a vengence, a shock tactic if I ever saw one. Paul Bearer to be put in a chamber to be covered in cement.........These are the minor shock tactics they are using and this is before they have fully exercised their plans for Suzuki, and Mordecai.

Clarkey said it really, the pregnancy angle. This could well become one of the stupidest and most distasteful things they've EVER done. Cos Lita ain't pregnant, and she's gonna have to lose that baby somehow. Cue bad acting and a mutitude of complaints if they do a miscarriage angle

Clarkey said it really' date=' the pregnancy angle. This could well become one of the stupidest and most distasteful things they've EVER done. Cos Lita ain't pregnant, and she's gonna have to lose that baby somehow. Cue bad acting and a mutitude of complaints if they do a miscarriage angle[/quote']

Do correct me if i am wrong here, but dont i remember a miscarriage angle taking place a few years back? The woman/women involved were PMS (Terri and Jackie) and D'lo Brown was the man who supposedly made her lose the child?

Do correct me if i am wrong here' date=' but dont i remember a miscarriage angle taking place a few years back? The woman/women involved were PMS (Terri and Jackie) and D'lo Brown was the man who supposedly made her lose the child?[/quote']

Very true, I'd forgotten about that. Musta tried to bury it as deep down as I possibly could :lol

There's no way Lita could pass as a pregnant woman with a six-pack set of abs like she's got!

It's disgraceful, it really is.

I think the best storylines are when two hard people really want to kick the crap out of each other. Am I wrong?

Cheers!

I think the best storylines are when two hard people really want to kick the crap out of each other. Am I wrong?

You got it right Brother. BUT.. they need to have more of a reason than a title belt or pride. THats where rhte character aspect comes in. Only problem is that things have spiralled out of control and downhill for so long that it will be hard, if even possible, to pull back on the throttle and bring that plane's nose back up.