Quarter Finals

E2K

Four quite simply mouth-watering quarter finals on the way guys. I can't wait.

Tonight, England and Portugal kick things off. I'm going for Portugal. While they're not a brilliant team (hey, who in this competition is?), they have a side brimming with talent. Maniche, Carvalho (best defender in this tournament), Ronaldo, Deco, Figo, Costinha, absolutely top-drawer quality. Tonight, I think their ability to control a game will tell in the end. They can control things better than England quite simply, and despite the fact that they're a bit toothless, that should be the telling factor. 2-1 Portugal.

Tomorrow, it's France vs Greece. Greece should be thankful they've gotten this far. France I believe are finally gonna gel. Henry's two goals in the last game is a bad sign for everybody in this tournament. France 2-0, Henry with both goals. The Czechs should get by Denmark, while the best match could be Sweden vs Holland, two teams better going forward than defending. Should be a cracker.

England will win 2-1 as I've said elsewhere... Rooney will get the crap kicked out of him as will Becks... but Rooney and Scholes will score to cancel out a Nuno Gomes strike, trust me on this...

Holland looked good against Latvia, granted Latvia aren't the best but if old Dicky plays Maakay and Ruud upfront with Robben and Overmars on the wings then I see Holland winning around 2 or 3 to 1, they will concede....

France will be given a run by the Greeks but will win by one or two like you said, Zidane is a lock to score but Henry may have finally found his touch again in the blue shirt so he may be firing live shots...

Czechs will beat the Danish 3-2 in a cracker of a game... thats my prediction, Nedved, Baros (2) and Tomasson, Gronkjaer will be the scorers...

Just my take on it...

I dont see how anyone can claim that the goal should have stood :? Whether intentional or not, Terrys arm was across the keepers shoulder impeding his jump, so it was a foul.

The games been pretty good so far, with Portugal the better side. Englands substitions confused me a bit though, as they seemed to be more to invite pressure onto themselves. I know a lot of people may not like him, but Heskey would have been perfect to be brought into this game, to win high balls up front and hold the ball up to try and start attacks. They still have a chance though, and to be honest, whichever side goes through I wouldnt mind.

Well there we have it. Cracking goal to win it.

Thanks a lot Urs.

I will remember that it is the Silver Goal rule...

I will remember that it is th

Edited by Chris2K

3 peaches in 2 days. First Ballack(which I think was the best of the lot), the Heinz free kick, now Rui Costa. All top class. Have to say, in honesty, Portugal are probably more deserving to go through based on the performance in this game. Still, theres a lil time left for an England equaliser.

edit: And as Im writing and posting, there is an equaliser. Looks like penalties now.......

As a Villa fan, Im disappointed that it had to be Vassell that missed.

And please, no complaints about the penalty spot, both teams hit from the same place, so it wasnt advantageous or disadvantageous for either team.

Still, Keppers taking penalties :xyx

:( I'm gutted, such a tense match, but overall Portugal played a far better game than England so did deserve to win. Might of been a different story if Beckham hadn't completely f**ked up that first penalty, but never mind eh. :(

Good Save by the keeper for Vassells.... Beckhams was horrid, what the hell was that penalty?

It was a goal by Campbell but whats done is done.... I shall look forward to next season and the World Cup Qualifiers.... I think from now its the Czech's tournement, I hope they win it they've been excellent so come on the Czech's...

I really feel for Darius, I hope he can see past this and continue to shine in an England shirt and hopefully play well for Villa...

I'm dissapointed I must say as the performance simply wasn't good enough overall, We gave the ball away far too often and Portugal always looked like the team that were going to win the game, Despite being 1-0 down for 80+ minutes.

Even so, England played with plenty of heart and kept Portugal at bay defensively for most of the game, But they haven't learned their lesson from the France game, At this level you can't just sit back on a 1-0 lead like that and then constantly back off and allow the opposition to come at you, It was huge mistake to do that again and in the end they were punished for it.

However, The referee was shocking today, It was quite clearly a goal as the commentater said, the referee bottled it. I'd like to some kind of ruling on this tackling the goalkeeper, Because it's disgusting just how many perfectly acceptable goals have been scored and then disallowed because of theatrics from the keeper.

I'm not going to blame anybody especially not Vassell because he played his heart out the performances he's given, He didn't deserve that today.

Special Mention: Ashley Cole was simply amazing, He never put a foot wrong and whoever has said this guy can't defend, Needs to look at his performances during this tournament.

I dont see how anyone can claim that the goal should have stood :? Whether intentional or not, Terrys arm was across the keepers shoulder impeding his jump, so it was a foul.

I still stand by that, as people continually claim it was a fair goal. Also, another point my dad(who's more knowledgeable about football than me) made was that its also illegal to climb on top of your own players in those situations(something to do with unfair advantages gained by it, with people lifting others up to get more height and stuff). I don't know if thats true or not, but if it is, theres two reasons it wasnt a fair goal.

As for the game, England battled hard, and defended well for a long time, but as with the France game, and to an extent the Brazil game at the last world cup, it worked against them. England are a better side at getting on the ball and trying to get forward, so I dont know why they continually try to play defensive. Heskey should have been brought on to hold the ball up, and win the aerial balls(as the Portugese centre backs didnt look good with that, Vassell was winning quite a few even). Then they could have played a bit more in the Portugese half.

At the end of the day, one of the teams had to lose, and on performance, Portugal probably were more deserving to go through, although Figo's attitude when being subbed disappointed me. I was impressed by him at the start trying to get his players worked up, and he put in decent effort, but when he knew he was subbed he reacted wrong. Raul being subbed, quickly handing over the armband and running off is how it should be done, not looking in disbelief, walking off at the nearest bit and walking down the tunnel. As much as I think Figo is a talented player, I think his attitude needs to change.

Postiga's penalty was genius, for two reasons :

1. He scored, and cheekily.

2. He totally messed up the penalty spot for whoever was next... in this case, Darius Vassell, who missed.

That's smart, if not entirely ethical.

I still stand by that, as people continually claim it was a fair goal. Also, another point my dad(who's more knowledgeable about football than me) made was that its also illegal to climb on top of your own players in those situations(something to do with unfair advantages gained by it, with people lifting others up to get more height and stuff). I don't know if thats true or not, but if it is, theres two reasons it wasnt a fair goal.

As for the game, England battled hard, and defended well for a long time, but as with the France game, and to an extent the Brazil game at the last world cup, it worked against them. England are a better side at getting on the ball and trying to get forward, so I dont know why they continually try to play defensive. Heskey should have been brought on to hold the ball up, and win the aerial balls(as the Portugese centre backs didnt look good with that, Vassell was winning quite a few even). Then they could have played a bit more in the Portugese half.

At the end of the day, one of the teams had to lose, and on performance, Portugal probably were more deserving to go through, although Figo's attitude when being subbed disappointed me. I was impressed by him at the start trying to get his players worked up, and he put in decent effort, but when he knew he was subbed he reacted wrong. Raul being subbed, quickly handing over the armband and running off is how it should be done, not looking in disbelief, walking off at the nearest bit and walking down the tunnel. As much as I think Figo is a talented player, I think his attitude needs to change.

Thank you Andy for actually telling it like it was. It was never a legitimate goal, Terry fouled the keeper clearly even though the commentary team ignored it as much as they could and more, while you are spot on about Figo. His name ought to be mud in Portugal right now. Sulking off at the slowest pace and heading straight to the tunnel as if he had been personally wornged and as if the whole game was about him is not the way to go. Raúl had a dreadful European Championships, but at least his attitude was right. Figo needs to take a long, hard look at himself, he's a spent force and shouldn't play any firther part in the European Championships. Portugal played much better when he was substituted and proved that they don't need him. If anything, he's holding them back from being more of a team. Portugal did deserve to win though, not that England were awful or anything but the better team definitely won. I just hope that the beautiful city of Lisbon isn't dragged into the gutter by English sore losing thuggery from a minority of so-called supporters as often happens at major championships. They behaved themselves at the World Cup, more or less anyway as far as I can recall, I just hope that they can restrain themselves in Portugal.