Bah Gawd thats a bad gimmick

Fletch

ok well this is my 500th post yeah count em 1,2,3, 500. Seems amazing since just a month or so ago i was trying to reach 100, still i dont think my posts have been spammy just i like to post at TWO lately as theres plenty to discuss.

Ok well basically ive been reading about how WWE in particular Vince is trying out new gimmicks on Smackdown or should that be old gimmicks considering hes trying to put olde tried and tested gimmicks on people like Mordecai and booker T. Personally i think this is a step in the wrong direction as i though wwe had moved on from the extreme gimmicks they used to have and for which they had produced a better product.

however with the slump happening at Smackdown it clearly needs a breathe of fresh air but Im not really certain how much ectreme gimmicks can do to bring back old viewers, keep current viewers and bring in new ones. Basically i think this because lets face it people have seen the same stuff before for a start, we saw mordecais gimmick in the early undertaker what 13/14 years ago and we saw Papa Shango so long ago. Thety worked at the time as there wasnt the information and um smartness that there is now, I mean lets face it when these gimmicks first started people watching wrestling didnt know much about wrestling like they do now and it was much more of a family orienterred product.

But now the show seems a lot more adult with the way they use the women and stories and of course we know wayyy too much know thnaks to the wonders like TWC and the Internet which makes wrestling entirely different due to the fact its not seen and percieved as it was back then. As for my other point when people tune into Smackdown and see Papa Shango possesing booker T they arent gonan wanna stick around and watch that stupid stuff, i mean lets face it its wayy too outrageuous and ludicrous. WWe are still trying to sell it as genuine sports entertainent but stuff like this is going to turn to watch stuff liek TNA and programs like Eastenders which arent as ludicrous to be honest

Dotn think RAWs the best program either but at least they dont have the stupidy to try reincarmnate some dead gimmicks like on Smackdown.

Of course there has some great gimmicks over the years that fitted the time but what they need is some gimmicks that fit the ages and arent too far fetched for todays audience

Thanks for the time

Yeah man know what you mean, but gimmicks only act as a hook really, when I first began watching, overblown characters like The Berserker (Huss! Huss!) and Mantaur made me turn off, but over time some of these characters made their way to the surface and swam.

The Hitman gimmick for Brett is one of those things in wrestling that have crept up and surprised me as a youngster. For all intents and purposes Brett was a Tag Team wrestler with Jim Neidhart, but after Hogan tucked tail and went home, Vince was left trying to push some of his upper mid-carders and at the time only Brett and Shawn Michaels appealed to him, because he thought at the time that the WWF Heavyweight Champ needed credibility, thus the best technical wrestler and the best athlete went one on one with storied explosive consequences.

After the egos had landed and flown away again, Vince needed to put the belt on someone who would not screw him over or go home when he lost his smile and because both of these guys had given Vince headaches, he went for gimmick laden characters to find a new champ, so we end up with Undertaker. The most successful gimmick in Federation history, who then proceeded to take the Championship and his gimmick matches to new and higher echelons. 'Taker like Shawn before him was prepared to take and punishment never seen before and then came Mankind!

The point I'm making is that when Vince has given these guys gimmicks that have gotten over with the fans, they have a sense of loyalty and don't give Vince as many problems. Then came The Ringmaster, Steve Austin showed Vince that others can have their own gimmicks and get them over, thus Vince seeing dollar bills, went that way and we had the attitude era.

As far as gimmicks go we've seen them all in one form or other but I think that Vince will always try to get folks talking about wrestling and the over the top gimmicks are part and parcel of it.

Spiritchaser.

Characterized.

Edited by Spiritchaser

your poimt of getting over bad gimmicks yes it does work in a lot of cases like well Ringmaster for example as you said but i think the extreme gimmicks are a little harder to get over

lets face it the Ringmaster wasnt all that extreme now was it, but someone like Nick Dinsmore i feel without the Euegen gimmick would be just another OVW lowercarder but when he eventually wants to be taken seriously in the ring its going to be damned near impossible to shake the gimmick of being mentally retarded now isnt it

perhaps its too obvious tho lol

anything can happen granted but it probably wont. altho there have been a fair few big surprises in previous years such as the nWO for one.

I stand by my statement tho as to be honest i think its going to be hard to shake the gimmick even if there is some angle like u mentioned, people are going to cuss the wwe for flaming the mentally retarded like they did with the whole Billy and Chuck Gay Marraiage thing. WWe have to think it through and perhaps in the long run it may be better for Dinsmore to run with the Euegen Character longer

Ok give it to ya, but in my personal opinion I don't think WWE are mocking retarded folks, quite the opposite apart from HHH removing the urine on RAW last week, I think Eugene has been portrayed in no less a light than Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.

Just an opinion though.

Spiritchaser.

Quelled.

i can totally see hwere u are coming from but everything wwe and indeed any wrestling company puts out on national tv is scrutinized to the maximum and if it perceieved to be a mock then lets face it its going to be branded a mock by the media just like said gay marriage

I don't know whether to agree with f2k or not: not because he hasn't made a good point about WWE perhaps avoiding extreme gimmicks like Mordecai, but simply because I cannot make up my mind on the matter.

Only a couple of extreme gimmicks have truly won the fans over: Ultimate Warrior, LOD, Undertaker, Brutus Barber Beefcake and Yokozuna. Papa Shango almost did it, but became stale.

The wrestler gimmicks with longetivity -as has been mentioned on a monthly basis by differing members on TWO in one way or another, are the amplifications of the wrestler's personality: "Latino Heat", "Hitman", "Mr Perfect", "Stone Cold", "JBL", "HHH", "HBK", "The Rock" - you get the picture. Vince took one look at Curt Hennig and thought 'you fancy yourself a bit, old boy, I think we'll call you Mr Perfect'. Similarly you can imagine the writers thinking of Shawn Michaels' next gimmick post-Rockers...

Writer 1: Hmmmm, I'm stuck for a name.

W2: He's a good looking guy though, isn't he?

W1: Yeah, I bet the kid has broken a few hearts in his time...

Easy.

Saying that, with the more extreme gimmicks like Eugene, Kenzo Suzuki, Cena, and Mordecai there is always the fascination; the "what are they doing this week?" train of thought that keeps me watching.

However, I think I'm with f2k on this one, extreme gimmicks just don't have the staying power these days.

Cheers!

Read the rest of the book my dear man, dare to be different!

Seriously though even the back of the book when he's having a go at L. Brent Bozell and his Parent's Commision who where trying to get WWE off the air using all kinds of underhanded tactics was an eye-opener to the amount of hate being spouted about the sport I love.

Yeah Boyo agree you know it makes sense. :thumbsup

Spiritchaser.

Recommending.

Edited by Spiritchaser

I love the idea of having all the old school crazy gimmicks back on SmackDown!, Mordecai for example, is a f'n GREAT gimmick. He looks cool, has a great entrance, cool music and when he finally gets to showcase his in ring talents a little more, will show he is good in the ring.

As for comparing him to old school Undertaker and Papa Shango, I dont see it, not at all. Undertaker maybe with the way he looks, but not the gimmick, and NOTHING like Papa Shango whatsoever.

I like it alot. Its a throwback to the oldschool 1990 WWF, awesome.

I mean lets face it when these gimmicks first started people watching wrestling didnt know much about wrestling like they do now and it was much more of a family orienterred product.. But now the show seems a lot more adult with the way they use the women and stories....

I liked the family oriented product. If things continue going downhill and seedy, as they are now, I will quit watching and won't want my son tuning in when he's old enough to be influenced by all the cheap T-n-A they've resorted to in a low-brow effort to keep people watching. I don't need lesbians, necrophelia, cheap cleavage shots and g-strings. I wanna see a relevant story told. I want to cheer someone worth cheering! All the heroes are gone.

As for my other point when people tune into Smackdown and see Papa Shango possesing booker T they arent gonna wanna stick around and watch that stupid stuff' date=' i mean lets face it its way too outrageuous and ludicrous. WWe are still trying to sell it as genuine sports entertainent but stuff like this is going to turn to watch stuff like TNA and programs like Eastenders which arent as ludicrous to be honest..[/quote']

Some people may, some may not. The fan community has been fed a steady diet of the current "style" for quite a while now and has limited choices as to what they can get in a wrestling show. People tend to take what they're offered and the powers-that-be know it.

Of course there has some great gimmicks over the years that fitted the time but what they need is some gimmicks that fit the ages and arent too far fetched for todays audience.

I agree that a change is needed. But if, or when, it happens I woder what we'll be offered. A post I read a couple of days ago said that Vince admitted that he didn't know what people wanted. Perhaps he will begin to put forth the effort to find out.

again i think that wwe certainly need to change things around more so n smackdown than raw but i still dont feel that the extreme gimmicks they are trying to incorporate will work for todays audience in my opinion. Im not saying they wont work or perhaps pull people in but lets face it the numbers of people going to be drawn back in from extreme gimmicks is very little and i still feel as though perhaps it would certainky turn away people more so than pull them in, i know i certianly would be turned away from something i saw 10 years ago.

great posts so far btw guys, Back to back Thread of the week me think lol j/k :P

ok this next bit is a spoiler from the smackdown tapings this week, which i think shows how wwe are using old gimmicks

This week on SD, Billy Gunn beat Kenzo Suzuki by Dq when Suzuki threw powder in Gunns face, now didnt i see that somewher before oh yeah it was something that Mr Fuji used to do to help Yokozuna win matches now wasnt it, from what i can see WWE gimmicks are becoming increasingly sterotypical as of late as if they werent before but more so sin recent years