Were Italy screwed?

Ed_666

Let's set the scene - Sweden and Denmark are playing each other, and if they get a 2-2 draw they both go through, and Italy go out irrespective of their result against Bulgaria.

So it gets to the 90th min, and Denmark are winning 2-1, and everyone's figuring that Italy are thumping Bulgaria (they're not as it happens, but the players don't know that), so Sweden are going out.

Then Sweden have an attack, a player chips an innocuous ball into the keepers hands, but he palms it out straight to a Swede who puts the ball into the net for 2-2.

Then Sweden take the ball into their own half and pass between themselves for 3 mins while the Danes make NO ATTEMPT WHATSOEVER to get the ball back!

So what do you think? Coincidence or did Sorensen throw them the ball on purpose?

Ed

The Italians are renowned for producing 'mutually agreeable' results in there league so I guess its quite fitting that they should be knocked out in this manner.Lets all shed a tear shall we? OK lets not :D

Nah, Denmark had the best of the game. Tomassen could've scored more, they came close a few times. There was no collusion as far as I could see. I think Sweden's last goal was legitimate too. As for playing the ball around in their own half near the end, well thats understandable, since another Danish goal would've knocked them out. I really hope Italy don't hide behind this conspiracy theory cos they were absolutely rubbish in this tournament and deserve to be gone

Yeah it looked strange that Sorensen, a keeper until yesterday hadn't conceded a goal, lets a bread and butter ball slip to a Swedish player... but the fact is if you watch the game the Danish until the end do there best to win the game and top the group...

The only people who brought up the possiblity of an agreement was the Italians before and quite probably after the game as I haven't checked the sports news yet...

So the Italian's are out... they have no one but themshelves and their poor finishing and tatics to blame.

Conspiracy? Not a chance.

What we seen was a good attacking game, with both sides trying to win for 90 minutes. It could have went to 3-1 before the equaliser and I have no doubts that both teams try to win. From watching Sorenson playing for Villa, unfortunately one weakness he occassionally shows is from crosses, and he isn't always great at dealing with them, although he is a fantastic shot stopper. Plus from what I'm led to believe, the scandanavian rivalry between Denmark and Sweden is sorta like Scotland and England, and if thats true then I see no way that they would have made an agreement. As for playing injury time like they did, both teams knew with that result they were through, and it would have been stupid for them to go chasing another goal, when they know they may then have ended up being caught on a break and conceding and going out the tournament. Plus Italy hardly done anything to show they deserved to go through anyway, and if anyone is to blame, it is themselves.

I didnt get a chance to see the game live as i was working, so when i saw the score over the net i was automatically suspiscious as to how the score ended up exactly how both teams wanted. However once i got home and watched the highlights all doubts were forgotten. It looked like a fantastic game of football with both teams attacking and defending really well, and from what i saw Denmark were very unlucky not to win that game.

When something like this occurs there will always be doubters and people coming up with conspiracy theories, but to be honest most of the time they are unfounded and this time seems to be the same.

I watched the whole of the Denmark and Sweden game and there is not a chance they tried for that result. It was a great game and both teams were going for it. The last goal was poor goalkeeping from Sorensen but its not the first time we've seen that sort of thing from him. He is a very jekyll and hyde type of goalkeeper.

As for the passing around at the back - why wouldn't they do that? They knew if they conceded at that stage then there was no chance of getting back into it, same with Denmark. They knew if they conceded another they wouldn't get back into it. That doesn't necessarily mean they fixed the game.

If the game was being fixed then Denmark wouldn't have kept going for more goals at 2-1.

I think Gianluigi Buffon in his post-match interview said it best, and possibly summed up the thoughts of 75% of the people in one way or another. All he said was:

"You can't help but wonder, can you?"

I watched Sweden vs Denmark and flicked to Italy vs Bulgaria to see what was happening. Personally I can't imagine the Scandanavian tussle was anything other than a fully fought game, with both sides really going for it. Italy were really going for it as well.

There's no way the Denmark vs Sweden match was fixed. No way. You DON'T fix a match in that manner, it was too exciting a game. The only semblence of settling for the draw was in the 90th minute when both teams knew a goal could send the other team out, and they didn't want to risk it.

Then again, I still wonder...

Cheers!

Whether Sweden and Denmark were on the same wavelength or not, they both progress and once again Italy under-perform. If they didn't want to be conspired against they should have fought harder to get better results in their first two matches. They knew it was thin ice, and that ice cracked.

Plus from what I'm led to believe' date=' the scandanavian rivalry between Denmark and Sweden is sorta like Scotland and England, and if thats true then I see no way that they would have made an agreement.[/quote']

I find that hard to believe if the scenes of the supporters after the match are anything to go by. The Danish and Swedish supporters were dancing and singing together about Italy being out!

You'd have thought Denmark would be upset that'd they'd lost top spot, but they seemed more happy that Italy were out.

They might not have decided it before the game, but I'm wondering if Sorensen would have let that slip if the score had been 2-2 already (assuming someone attacked!).

Italy must now be ranked as the unluckiest team in the world. In the last 7 major tournements they'e gone out:

Three times on pens

Twice on golden goals

Twice on last min goals in ANOTHER game!

How unlucky is that?!

Ed

They were especially unlucky last World Cup, when the South Koreans got given the benefit of the doubt all the time (and again against Spain). Everyone goes on about how well the South Koreans played, but there were so many decisions that went in their favour (especially disallowed goals), I can't help feeling they were helped a bit.

As for Sweden/Denmark, I doubt it was fixed. This is a professional football tournament. No-one ever cheats.... except the Argies. And the South Koreans :P.

To fix a game like that, so many people need to be in on it - players, staff, etc. No way it could be done without anyone noticing. Besides which, if last nights game was meant to be a 2-2 draw, nobody told Tomassen, who did his best to score a bagful. From what I've heard so far, Buffon and Pirlo are the only ones who've suggested anything untoward. Trappatoni wouldn't hear of it. If you watch the game, it's clear that Italy weren't screwed. Case closed.

the italians were screwed its an outrage' date=' as an italian fan i demand we are let back in in either swedens or denmarks place[/quote']

Ok then, where is your concrete evidence that the Denamrk - Sweden game was fixed? The only way for Italy to be put back in is for one of the teams to admit it was all worked out before hand. And as it probably wasnt, i very much doubt either of the teams will say it was. My families heritage lies in Italy so i do profess a certain love for them, and i do feel bad they have been knocked out, but we should just admit that Italy played very poor, and didnt deserve to go through.

Bah.

Being half Italian and therefore an avid azzuri follower, I can't help but claim we were cheated, even if it ends up proven beyond all doubt that we weren't.

If you want me to be honest though, I don't believe that they did arrange the 2-2 prior to the match, but at 1-1 and in particular at 2-1 I just couldn't help but flick over to the Denmark-Sweden game and see any dive/missed chance/goalkeeping error as a conspiracy. It just doesn't sit right, and I would urge any of you to put yourself in the position of the Italy fans. I want to believe Italy were cheated, and I do think they were.

Thankfully that moron Trapatoni has resigned now and the world may indeed be a better place with Lippi in charge. Italy were disgraceful against Denmark yes, but they deserved to beat Sweden and you can also say that Italy were unlucky to have Bulgaria last. The situation would have been different if Sweden-Italy was the last match, and then perhaps the Danes would have been the ones moaning when the Italian defence lapsed in concentration since they knew they were secure. Damnit, Italy were the first team to go out with 5 points undefeated remember!

BAH! They steal our fish and now they cheat us out the tournament. Damn Scandanavians.

Edited by Simon

i think its strange how the one result that would stop italy getting through even if they won was 2-2 and that the other two teams playing would then be certain of going through

the way it was 2-1 to denmark and then they conceded a very odd goal with the danish gifting it to the swedish. it was all planned

I don't think it was all planned but I would certainly put my life on the line and say that the Danes at that stage (2-1) blatantly wouldn't have given a **** about conceeding, they were still going through. Judging by the celebrations at the end I'd have to say it looked like coming first in the group was of no concern to them, and that they'd have collectively given their left legs to get to the Quarter Finals.

Then again the Italians can go to bed with clear consciences, as they are collectively more man than any Scandanavian is. BASTA!

lol yes, apart from the 2004 screw job as i shall call it ( we had one in 2002 when that damn ref helped ther Koreans) the only other reason we got knocked out was the conceded goal from the swedish, italy dominated play and should have buried them

If Italy didn't play such boring football, they'd have gone through. They played fantastically first half against Sweden, yet all the other time were abysmal, just sat back and defended, no invention, it made England look like 1970 Brazil. If the Italians had gone through it would have been the most undeserved quarter finalist ever. Where as instead we had the wing attack minded Danes, and the full on counter attacking Swedes, as opposed to the get one goal after trying for 2 mins, have Totti whinge cause he's playing rubbish, and sit back and defend for 85 minutes, Italy. We want good football, and what they were playing is the reason, y they, Spain and Germany all went out first round.

• 2 weeks later...