Hooligans

E2K

The scumbags have started trouble already in Portugal, just like they always do. Have to say, with all the crap that a minority of English fans have been reponsible for over the years, I'm sure a lot of people have tarred English fans as all being the same.

But I feel desperately sorry for the majority of English fans. I can only imagine how shameful it is to be lumped together with this lot, and how scary it is too. What the hell is the story with English football hooliganism anyway?

And I'm not just talking about the violence. I'm talking about the booing of national anthems as well. Why does it follow the English team around like a bad smell? And, as England fans, what are your worst experiences of it?

Being caught up in the middle of a fight outside the City/United game at City Of Manchester Stadium last year... people trying to throw each other in the canal...

Or going to Elland road a few years back when Lee Sharpe still played for them... we were at a pub after the game and the Leeds lot came past and it turned into a bricks and bottles war..

This is one of the only subjects on the face of the planet (apart from Bill Bryson's book "The Small History of Nearly Everything" - dense, dense book) that Boyo just cannot get his head around. Cannot comprehend.

I just DO NOT know, or understand, why people who follow a football team WANT, or feel obligated, or compelled, or are forced, or just naturally denegrate to this kind of behaviour. I just don't know.

I know a couple of totally frikkin hardcore hooligans as well, and have asked them "WHY? Just WHY do you fight at football matches?" one said "I gets worked up and then want to fight", the other said "don't know - just do". There is no reason that I can grasp as to simply WHY violence and football should go together.

It's wrong - absolutely wrong - to say these people are not football fans, but mere thugs. Utter pap. Total utter pap. They are thugs, without a doubt, but they are probably the biggest football fans on the face of the Earth. By far, by a country mile.

I don't care how much you like football - a rioting England hooligan is by far, BY FAR, a much bigger football fan than any of you, any of us, will ever be. Ever.

These yobs, this stain on our worldwide reputation are the people who follow the England footy team all over the world. They ar the people who go to every home match, every away match, friendly or qualifier, tournament or kickaround, that England have. You can ask a skinhead thug (right after he's just trashed the town of the place England may be at the time - worldwide) ANYTHING about England. Any useless little bit of trivia and they will know it.

It's the same with club fans - they know more about the history and workings of the club than you ever will. They probably have a better chance of knowing the players than you do, too.

So why do they fight? I just don't know, and it frustrates the hell out of me.

The only possible thing I go on when analysing the actions of this pondlife is sometimes when you see them in the crowd (camera close-ups or something), can you see the pure HATRED in their eyes? It's scary.

When Portugal play England on Thursday I have no doubts that when England get a corner and you get a close-up of Beckham taking it and you see some Portugese fans in the background, you'll see and hear them booing like mad.

When Figo takes a corner and you see some English faces, just look at the pure hatred in the eyes of some of the fans. Especially men over 40 years old.

Cheers!

I wouldn't go as far to call them scum, stupid yes, scum no. Passion spills over in a game and fights occur, yeah some people are out for trouble but some just get overtaken by the feelings of the game, it's easily done. If you swear at your average football match, your almost being a hooligan because your expressing anger in a fashion which may hurt others.

I wouldn't go as far to call them scum' date=' stupid yes, scum no. Passion spills over in a game and fights occur, yeah some people are out for trouble but some just get overtaken by the feelings of the game, it's easily done. If you swear at your average football match, your almost being a hooligan because your expressing anger in a fashion which may hurt others.[/quote']

I meant the 'scum' that have been sent home in disgrace.

A football match is no excuse at all for being an absolute idiot...

Unless your Emile H :P eskey

.....These yobs' date=' this stain on our worldwide reputation are the people who follow the England footy team all over the world. They ar the people who go to every home match, every away match, friendly or qualifier, tournament or kickaround, that England have. You can ask a skinhead thug (right after he's just trashed the town of the place England may be at the time - worldwide) ANYTHING about England. Any useless little bit of trivia and they will know it.[/quote']

Disagree - Why was there no trouble what-so-ever at Japan 2002? Because there Giro's couldn't pay the fare there and back. But as soon as we are near home soil.....

Thats true Crippler, an asylum seeker was following a group of England fans about begging for money supposedly... Anyway after being declined by a group of lads he ran up to one and stabbed him the throat...

An ambulance came but couldn't save the poor bloke and some of the other lads ran after him, caught him and made sure he got his just rewards...