The Belts

E2K

I read a quote from Steve Austin a while back. I can't remember it word for word, but it was basically saying that back when he first started watching wrestling, and when he started wrestling himself, that a greater emphasis was placed on the importance of championship belts, and that the championships in wrestling should always be portrayed as ultra-important.

I have to say I agree, and I also have to say that WWE has done a good job (this year in particular) in giving their major championships (World Title, WWE Title and IC title) a sense of prestige and importance that has often been lacking. I think one of the major reasons for this is that they're around the waists of three outstanding wrestlers. At the end of the day, HHH coming out and saying he's that damn good or Hulk Hogan winning the belt at his age isn't gonna make a championship seem like it's worth a damn. It's great wrestlers having great feuds and matches that makes a belt.

What's the old saying? "A championship doesn't make a great wrestler, a great wrestler makes a championship"

I think it helps that Benoit, Guerrero and Orton all reacted with great emotion when they won their titles. It also helps that the titles didn't change hands again so soon after they won them. Finally, I think it really helps that their matches haven't been OVER-booked (i.e. too many ref bumps, too much outside interference, too many cheap finishes, etc). These three guys have been allowed to have great matches, and the importance of the belts has been paramount as a result.

Certainly, these three titles have come a long way since the dark days of 2002, when the WWE title was around the waist of 50 year-old, nostalgia-trippin' Hulk Hogan, when the IC title wasn't deemed to be important enough to have around anymore, and when the World title was just given to HHH so he wouldn't have to work a program with Vince's golden boy, Brock Lesnar.

The feuds between Angle and Lesnar, Benoit's victory at 'Mania (and subsequent reign), and Orton's reign have restored a sense of importance and prestige to those belts. Cena is doing OK with the US title as well. Now if only they'd sort out the tag team and cruiserweight divisions.

Yeah, I completely agree E2K.

Taking your point about belts not having the prestige they should: you must remember the Hardcore belt? Shucks, that belt didn't have to be won in a match!! As long as there was a ref present you could just smack someone with a chair and pin them.

Diabolical!

The Fed Years did the best job of making you think "ooooh, look there's the champion!", and slowly but surely the WWE is getting back to that kind of dictum. Eddie isn't quite as prestigious a champion as Benoit is, Benoit is quite aloof and thus adds a mystique about him, which can only be good.

Eddie gets stuck with hoooge promos, brawls and matches with the Bashams. Every week.

Cena is a so-so champ, but I say Dupree or Jindrak would add a touch of class to the US Title.

Orton is doing a fabby job with the IC.

Cheers!

I think Eddie and his fueds did a great job of building the US title back up when it was re-introduced... then they spoil it and give it to the Big Slow? Plus the title design itself is a bit like a toy belt...

The WWE title has always been important or seemed it as it was held by Lesnar, Angle and Eddie... shame the Big Show held that too... The Raw title has been hurt a little by HHH's run as champ and his challengers and the booking...

At least we have good champions now.

I think the Intercontinental title is very prestigous and has been held by many great wrestlers.

I know this may sound sad but I really liked the Million Dollar Belt when that was about. Can anyone tell me how many times was this defended.

Also, How did Virgil lose the belt?

The Million Dollar belt was first brought in when DiBiase was stripped of the WWF title after he tried to buy it from Andre the Giant. He brought it in to prove he could buy titles and belts.

The first time it was defended was WrestleMania VI vs Jake Roberts, DiBiase retained the title. The 2nd defence was against Virgil at SummerSlam 91 where DiBiase dropped the belt.

Virgil lost the Million Dollar Belt on a house show a couple days before the 1991 Survivor Series. It was never defended again and soon DiBiase became Tag title holder with IRS and the Million Dollar Belt went into storage until The Ringmaster Steve Austin used if for a little while in 1995/1996.

As for the titles, I am very impressed with the way Benoit, Guererro and especially Orton have been running with their respective titles. I have always believed that a title needs to have some stability to hold credability (Ohhh...I rhyme! lol).

I loved the fact that Victoria held the womens title for so long, and she made that title mean alot as she seemed genuinly honoured to hold that championship!

It goes back to the glory days of the then-WWF when Hulk Hogan held the WWF Title for 4 years and there were awesome wrestlers like Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, Randy Savage, Ricky Steamboat, Bret Hart, HBK, Bulldog, Ultimate Warrior etc all wrestling to become the IC champion.

The real problems began with the influx of all the WCW titles. I mean, we were having PPV's with 8 matches, 7 of those were title matches. Add that to the fact that titles were changing every week on free TV and you have a problem, your titles mean squat. Now, the WWF title was always protected it seemed, but everything else, including the precious IC crown was treated like a piece of crap, I was not at all impressed.

Lastly, let me just say this about Hogan holding the title in 2002. I'm a Hogan mark, so I will try and make this as un-bias as I can.

Hulk Hogan MADE the WWF, he made it, there is no two ways about it. Vince gave him the chance, but Hogan made the company...Hulk Hogan came back and was immediately THE most over worker in the group, it was the right thing to do to give the man one last short run as a thankyou to him. It wasnt meant to be taken seriously as a huge title run etc, just a gesture of thanks and I was not only pleased to see him win it, but as THE Hogan mark, having him win his final title on my birthday, and at the same time become the very last WWF champion and very first WWE champion (the company changed names during his run) it was awesome!

Edited by The Beltster

The real problems began with the influx of all the WCW titles. I mean, we were having PPV's with 8 matches, 7 of those were title matches. Add that to the fact that titles were changing every week on free TV and you have a problem, your titles mean squat. Now, the WWF title was always protected it seemed, but everything else, including the precious IC crown was treated like a piece of crap, I was not at all impressed.

Couldn't have said it better myself

As for the hardcore belt that could have great but was used wrongly remember taker had it for a while that was the best era of the hardcore tile

I never understood the name of the IC title.

The European Champ is champ of all of Europe.

The US Champ is the champ of all the US.

If you are champion of all 7 continents doesn't that make you champion of the world? Or is the World Champ also champion of international waterways, oceans, and the North and South Poles?