Viva La Raza

charlie

Viva - Long Live (closest translation)

La - The

Raza - Family (Raza = "Family" including relatives and close friends. "Familia" means immediate family)

So it pretty much means "Long live the family and friends!"

It would be more accurate if he said "Viva mi raza", however: "mi" means "my".

Cheers!

Hang on ...... Boyo I know you know alot about languages , ( Darn Languistics degree), but Eddie said while touring in Africa That it meant long live the people. then he went on saying Viva la Africa. He has now changed it a bit if you listen closely he says Long live my people.

Prof - you are right, but then you are incorrect at the same time.

In Spanish, "Familia" means "Family" in the mother/father/brother/sister kind of family. Eddie sometimes says "Viva mi familia", which means "long live my family" and "Ole los familia, esse" which means (roughly) "hello to your families, my friends".

The English language doesn't have a direct translation for the word "raza". As I said before, its closest translation is "family and friends", but it is perfectly acceptable to translate it to "the people", too.

Families are very important in Spanish culture so they have loads, loads more words for family, in a similar way that Eskimos have over 30 different words for snow, and English has over 100 recognised words for drunk.

If you said to a Spaniard "I went out with some friends to a pub and got blottoed" they will think you got into a fight with a fountain pen, when of course, any other English speaker will know what you mean. So when Eddie says "raza", we cannot translate it into English because the English language has only two or three words for "family" and Spanish has close to 20.

Or something like that...

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...