New wrestling newsletter

thewhorule2002

Just to let everyone know, there is a new wrestling newsletter about to be released. The newsletter will cover wrestling from WWE to local independent promotions as well as special features etc. The newsletter will be delivered to you by E-mail every month and it will only cost £4.99 for the whole year, that’s less than 42p per issue!! Much cheaper than the magazines! If you subscribe, you can also send articles in and they will, if suitable, be published in the newsletter! This can be used to get your own fave promotion noticed far and wide or be used to review shows or promote upcoming shows, a cheap way of advertising! Email craig-mackay@lycos.co.uk for more details.

Just to let everyone know' date=' there is a new wrestling newsletter about to be released. The newsletter will cover wrestling from WWE to local independent promotions as well as special features etc. The newsletter will be delivered to you by E-mail every month and it will only cost £4.99 for the whole year, that’s less than 42p per issue!! Much cheaper than the magazines! If you subscribe, you can also send articles in and they will, if suitable, be published in the newsletter! This can be used to get your own fave promotion noticed far and wide or be used to review shows or promote upcoming shows, a cheap way of advertising! Email [email']craig-mackay@lycos.co.uk[/email] for more details.

Alternitivly TWO have an excellent news letter whats more its free.....

http://www.talkwrestlingonline.com/wrestling-newsletter.php

Gary

Not to take a dig Gary...

Most bands and football teams have fanzines, which you would pay for. Now, not once have I ever seen a player or member of a band say "What's the bloody point in this? You can get all our news by buying NME or visiting our official website."

UK wrestling is about as well known as a Torquay United vs Bury Town fixture, at best, so surely everyone involved should be promoting coverage and not slating people who are attempting to cover it.

Not to take a dig Gary...

Most bands and football teams have fanzines, which you would pay for. Now, not once have I ever seen a player or member of a band say "What's the bloody point in this? You can get all our news by buying NME or visiting our official website."

UK wrestling is about as well known as a Torquay United vs Bury Town fixture, at best, so surely everyone involved should be promoting coverage and not slating people who are attempting to cover it.

Glad its not a dig kenny, would have said this in PM or email, but you never know where it might end up hey, so I better word this correctly, dont want no legal action

All I was saying that there is a great weekly newsletter available on this very website, which is free. The guy is starting an ezine, who is he, he only has a lycos address. He expects people to pay for an emailed newsletter, which sites like this do for free.

The guy has signed up to the forum and others made this same and only post and expects people to caugh up 4.99.. yes right.

Gary

"but you never know where it might end up hey, so I better word this correctly, dont want no legal action"

Absolutely no idea what that's all about, I'm not exactly in any loops now that I've gotten out of wrestling. I do know of some people who pass PM's around and some who even send PM's to the wrong person...but none of them are worth worrying about, we all know that. Aaaaaaaanyways, none of it pertains to this conversation or anything close to it. So, back onto the topic at hand.

When you consider how easy it is for some start up Promotions to get press releases published then there is definitely reason for people to be warey of what's going on in the UK. Fanzines are a bit different though, most people realise they're taking a chance with the first issue. It's always word of mouth that gets fanzines sales, so maybe Craig will find it hard at the start...I mean, even the Shooting Star Press disappeared eventually and the Pro Wrestling Press isn't as noticeable these days. There was a web based one aswell, Grappling Times, whatever happened to that?

Best bet would be for Craig to post a digest of the first issues content and even a sample.

wrestling newsletter

I am trying to do something different than the usual wrestling fanzines. I don't think UK wrestling is covered enough in these and I want to let people know that there are many excellent promotions in the UK as well as the US. I also think that by allowing people to send their own articles in and have them sent to a large audience, is something new and a great way to let people know about small promotions.

If enough people do want a sample of whats on offer then feel free to email me and we might get that arranged. As for wanting to know who I am because I only have a lycos email, well I am like many on this forum a wrestling enthusiast, not only of the WWE, and I want to see the UKs small time promotions succeed.

Three days and you've given up' date=' even by UK scene standards that's impressive. Hell, Stevon's attempts to arrange bus trips last longer than that.[/quote']

it's a close run thing Tsu, but you're right (by maybe 3 days)

Three days and you've given up

Could say the same for you Kenny, giving up promoting so easily! I had you down for a stayer, but guess when the pressure is on.....

As for the fanzine, surely sites like 1stopwrestling (UK based) do a great job of providing a type of fanzine.

Perhaps promotions like WZW, BCW, FWA, RBW etc etc should consider giving 1Stopwrestling more access to what is going on than the usual bland press release that circulates the sites. Or on the other hand, 1Stopwrestling could give these promotions their own area to develop.

Now Kenny, that could be a job for you to develop. You make pretty good web sites and are always vocal about British wrestling, why not try and co-ordinate this type of project.

I didn't really give up easily, wasn't really left with much option to be honest with you Spinner. Had I not, then SCW would have been in a worse position than it had been a year beforehand. I'd love to give a fuller answer to the veiled dig, but what would be the point in that? :)

No real need for me to develop anything for the UK scene. As you say, other places already do it fairly well. I believe it's up to seperate promotions to do their thing by themselves. Proper reports, by people not actually directly involved with the Promotion, storylines explained properly, decent bios, downloadable media, interviews that are up to date and forums that are populated by fans and not trainees posting as fans. Aside from that, there isn't a lot else a Promotion can really do. Of course, getting a decent server and not using hotmail addresses would help aswell. So long as they keep sending press releases to the major news sites, there isn't a lot left to do.

Well, apart from the posters, pamphlets, adverts in papers, radio shows etc etc.

Generally all the non internet based promotion needed to interest Mr or Mrs General public.

But that's a given really.

Saracen

I thought that was what this thread was about 'online promotion'.

Kenny, here is another fledgling promotion that you might be interested in getting involved with North East Wrestling Alliance. I think it is a bit of a 'paper exercise' just now, but with the right guidance they might get at least one show off the ground.

I don't have any contact details for them just now, but I am sure that they will raise their heads on the internet soon enough.

Will SWA be giving you a proper send off, or is it a bit of a touchy subject?

I thought that was what this thread was about 'online promotion'.

Kenny, here is another fledgling promotion that you might be interested in getting involved with North East Wrestling Alliance. I think it is a bit of a 'paper exercise' just now, but with the right guidance they might get at least one show off the ground.

I don't have any contact details for them just now, but I am sure that they will raise their heads on the internet soon enough.

Will SWA be giving you a proper send off, or is it a bit of a touchy subject?

Is that the one some of BCW's ex trainees have decided to set up, as they felt they could do a better job? Nowt like being stabbed in the back in this business!!!!!

Gary

Yes, but unless someone who knows a bit about wrestling helps them then they have no chance of getting anything going. You only have to look at their wrestling ability to see that they live in fantsay land.

Its just another case of 'if I can't get work for anyone, I will set up my own promotion and make myself champion!!!'

You have to expect that people will stab you in the back in this business. The business is fake and the majority of people involved in it are too. The major problem that I have is that these guys are not even in the business yet they think that they are so talented and missused that they should be pushed above everyone else.

This will become a bigger issue amongst training schools when egos start flying.

Well hold on WDB,

On one hand you say without help they can't get started and on the other you say they are a bunch of selfish children who want the limelight for themselves.

Now from what you have just said I doubt anyone in the business is going to lift a finger to help them and quite rightly so.

The UK Scene suffers enough from people who think they are better than they are, deserve more fame than they do and will crap on anyone to get there. Last thing the scene needs is a new company full of them.

Fame is a byproduct of being good at what you do and not the final goal, if these guys didn't have the patience to see that, then they have effectively ruined their own careers.

Hmm... I feel a tenet coming on

Saracen

There is a simple answer to people starting up, well actually there are a few.

Regulation - If some form of regulation was in place then new promotions would have to prove thier worth before every being allowed to promote. Something as simple as having to book a min of British workers who have paid thier dues.

Bond - In many states in the US,promotions have to pay a bond to the athletics commissions, more as insurance and it enables full checks to be carried out and if they are a fly by night promotion who does not deliver the goods, they loose thier bond.

Ring Hire - Here in the UK, anyone can hire a ring from anyone, no checks are done to those who are hiring. I know of one guy who has hired his ring out to byw's and kids the like. If promotions stopped hiring out rings, then people would have to have purchase thier own. How many would promote if they actually had to invest something first.

Wrestlers - No show should be run with in-experienced wrestlers only. To many promotions have full shows with not one experienced wrestler. Every show should have a set percentage of workers (paid workers, who have paid thier dues) on a show.

just a few ideas...

I know people will say what about you, so i will answer everyone of the comments..

Regulation - There is no official regulation in the UK< but what we have is full emergency aid trained personell, (training and shows) trainers have been council vetted, electrical and structural work inspected regularly. Full knowledge and training in Handling and lifting. We can not do any more.

Ring Hire - When we started we hired a ring, if there was none available we would have had to have one made. We had this in our business plan. It would have meant the first show not happening for 2 months, but we really wanted to build a promotion that works and would have invested in that. Now we have 2 rings and won't rent them out to just anyone.

Wrestlers - Again when we started our shows were full of experienced wrestlers. We have our own school and people are coming through the ranks, still we bring in talent from all over the UK to work the shows. We don't have the attitude we are the best and don't need anyone else.

I love this business, and I hate it at times. I love seeing a venue full of fans and then seeing them smiling on the way out, speaking to the punters knowing they had a good time and want us to return. I love seeing guys who have come through the school get on the first real show and not an exhibition, the pride that fills us is emense. I hate the bitching in wrestling, the ego's and certain promotions that seem to think they are better than anyone else. I hate the politics and backstabbing that goes with the business. But this is the business I chose to be in, and I have loads to learn and still pick up bits from those who have been in the business many many years. Knowledge which has been passed on even if not taken on board is valuable and is a massive part of wZw's future.....

Rant over...

Gary

I would also suggest that a legal contract is signed by anyone being trained that they can not promote a show within one year of leaving training.

In the entertainement industry, it is common to have such a stipulation in the contract between entertainment agencies and acts (not taking a booking in the same venue for a different agency within 1 year of the original booking).

I would also suggest that a legal contract is signed by anyone being trained that they can not promote a show within one year of leaving training.

In the entertainement industry, it is common to have such a stipulation in the contract between entertainment agencies and acts (not taking a booking in the same venue for a different agency within 1 year of the original booking).

LOL.. You should be my business advisor, why has he not come up with that idea. I do like the sound of that and thats something I will be looking into on Monday.

Thanks

Gary

"Will SWA be giving you a proper send off, or is it a bit of a touchy subject?"

I've not even received the Heavyweight title belt back, which I actually paid for out of my own pocket and never took the cash back out. :) That aside, I don't want a send off. SWA is a new promotion, no matter how much they want the first show to be a huggy and touchy feely politically correct Rebirth. I've really no interest in being involved with it. I would quite like to get involved elsewhere, with storylines or whatever. I can't really see that happen, as I annoyed a few people when at SCW...even though it was all business and if Vince can work with Eric etc etc.

Helping out a new start promotion would be good, but not if it's somewhere that's going to be tredding on toes right from the start. The North East already has IWF, WZW and 3CW, really no need for anything else I'd think. Plus, if you're working with a group of former trainees who all thought they could do better, you're already working with a group of people who think they're above guidance. I suppose this is the problem with their being so many promotions training so many workers though. FWA and WZW can partially stave off the problem with Academy shows and assisting guys in getting work elsewhere.

As for the regulations brought up by Gary:

I always took whatever guidance offered to me. Nobody ever asked about the First Aid etc, so I assumed it worked like that elsewhere. I did have all the necessary insurance and even paid for a certificate to erect the ring for the show in Glasgow. For ring hire, we used rings by two different promotions and, as far as I'm aware, never had a problem with either. As for the shows, I don't really think I booked anybody who wasn't ready to do what was asked. Perhaps it meant some trainees immediately thought they had made it, but that's more a sign of their mindset than anything else.

Like yourself Gary, I have a long knowledge of the entertainment industry. I work with 6 different entertainment agencies in Scotland and a couple in England and also work with equity contracts.

I can send you the exact wording of the contracts if you like.

If you would that would be great and very much appreciated.,

Cheers

Gary