DVD-recorders

Guest Aeroforce1

If your considering buying a dvd-recorder that is a standalone model (i.e one that you can connect to a tv/vcr) you will need to do a bit of homework - nothing too complicated though you will be pleased to know :D

Anyway i myself have been in the same position as yourself and have wanted to transfer all my tapes onto dvd-r. I researched constantly about which one would be good for me as prices vary from £150-£800+.

Just to let you know BEFOREHAND - dvd-recorders will not improve tape quality just because your transferring it over to a dvd-r disc - that you might have guessed already - in fact mosr recorders will have 4record speeds - XPmode for superior dvd like quality, SPmode for again a very excellent quality picture AND THEN it gets worse gradually to LP and even EP - the dreaded mode which is extended lonp play - very blocky pixels and picture break up - i would say its worse than VCD quality.

BUT dont despair what you need is the Panasonic DMR-E50 recorder - which you can pick up for about £250 now - previously it was in the £399 range but since then good old panny have released about 2/3 updated models with harddrives and such but your talking serious money there!

All in all go with this machine it wont let you down - its very sexy looking (in technology terms at least) and it has all the features you would expect from a VCR and MORE MORE MORE!!!

Any questions please ask or drop me an e-mail as i know all there is to know about these machines.

Thanx

Thanks

Thanks aeroforce. :xyx

Most of the tapes I plan on converting are up to 3 hours apart from my recordings of wrestlemania.

I should pick up the Panasonic DMR-E50 after my first pay cheque. Is it simple enough to just hook the vcr and dvd recorder? I assume the two will be connected through scarts?

Thanks

Ross

Guest Aeroforce1
Yeah its real easy to link the vcr to the dvd. There linked up using scarts - just scart the vcr to AV2 on your recorder and another scart going from AV1 to your TV. Find the channel that the VCR plays through on the recorder (much like normal tuning you would do if you were linking a VCR to TV) and your away. For your 3 hour tapes you would need to use LP mode which is ok to good quality - much like LP on videos but a bit blockier - but not bad at all - everything should be fine. Just checked on ebay for you as well mate - you can pick up the DMR-E50 model for £199 now - thats a bargain!!!!