WWE To Be Sued Over Eugene?

Jack

"I have some interesting facts that you might be interested in. My name is Alex Lourido and for the last ten years my partner, David Francella, and I have been creating a show called, "The Psychotic Neurotics Comedy Show," which is shot and produced in Philadelphia.

Our most popular character on the show is Eugene, the mentally challenged actor who is played by me! The similarities between our Eugene and Nick Dinsmore's Eugene, are daunting, and it even gets better.

Back in December, Dave and I spoke with Todd Resnick, an Executive Producer from Spike TV, and pitched our show to him. He was interested in learning more so we sent him a show that showcased Eugene as our strongest character! (Do you see where we're going with this!) Mr. Resnick then contacts us personally, and via mail, to tell us that they have decided not to run with "it," but they really liked our ideas and we have an open door policy with them to pitch further show concepts!

Shortly after this, I'm talking maybe a month or so later, Nick Dinsmore reveals his Eugene character on Spike's "Raw," one of the highest-rated shows on cable TV!

We have spoken to our attorney and he is in the process of developing a case. This is a huge story, and when people see our Eugene Character that was developed 10 years ago, and is still very popular on our show, they will immediately reach the conclusion that Nick Dinsmore stole the character.

As a matter of fact, the entire story line that "Raw" is developing with the Eugene Character has been stolen from one of our shows. Dave and I can tell you exactly where their story line is going and what is going to happen, because they didn't even have the decency to change it a little!"

Certainly seems like they have copied this, what do you think?

If it is the case of the WWE team using the idea then they haven't really got a leg to stand on, as their character wasn't called eugene TM.

What they are trying to do is get in on intellectual copyright, which it is very rare that the small guy wins in these cases.

WWE will swallow these guys up, or pay em off.

Saracen

i think the eugene's character has more to it than the retarded fan from pittsburgh which it is based on

in jim cornettes shoot interview he was tellin a story from a few years ago and said bout a comissionar(sp?) retard son eugene who was a big wrestling fan who is from pittsburgh funnily enough

so this person who says the wwe stole the eugene character doesn't hold any weight really

even thou i wouldn't be surprised at the wwe stealin other peoples idea's from out side of wrestling

but not this time

• 4 weeks later...
i think the eugene's character has more to it than the retarded fan from pittsburgh which it is based on

in jim cornettes shoot interview he was tellin a story from a few years ago and said bout a comissionar(sp?) retard son eugene who was a big wrestling fan who is from pittsburgh funnily enough

indeed i heard that when i watched which made me smirk and laugh a little, so i dont think the tv people trying to sue can honestly win when they didnt copyright their character and theres other ways it could of come about such as the above

isnt it true though that with any wwe character that is "different" or unconventional somewhere is warped tv land there would or will have been one similar? people know that wwe is worth what it is an will try at anything to get there hands on its profits. And if wwe did just purely copy a character would they really let him emerge in to what he has become? its all media talk n money the issue not the character.

I think the WWE is almost cirtainly plagerising this dudes character. They have little if no respect for other peoples interlectual property; dose anyone remeber what the wwe was a couple of years ago? Thats right, WWF i.e. someone elses name. Thier most successful talent ever was called Steve Austin! I hope they get their asses sued hard. Serve them right for such a abhorent gimic anyway!

basically if wwe did even steal it they would have looked over the legalities of doing such a thing and seen that it wasnt copyrighted or tademarked etc so therefore they wouldnt be legally liable

plus the show in question really dont have a leg to stand on in the way of hard evidence plus lets face it wwe legal team are excellent and wouldnt lose anyway