Hoobastank

Nicole

I heard Crawling In The Dark off their last album and some others and thye sounded at the time just like Incubus... they really did.

If you like Incubus then get their earlier stuff and then the new album of which I have only heard the reason... They are to me not great but they play catchy forgettable rock, so its a take it or leave it kinda of thing.

Well i am lucky enough to own both their self-titled debut album, and their current "Reason" album. Both are fairly solid sets of tracks, with some quality music and meaningful lyrics. IMO the top tracks are "Crawling In the Dark" and "Too Little Too Late" from "Hoobastank", and "Out Of Control" and "Just One" from "The Reason". I havent seen them live yet, i am waiting (maybe in vain) for them to do a headline tour as i just missed them last time round.

Im the same as Alan. I own both their selt titled and their new album. First album is absolute quality.

They grew up with Incubus, hence the similarity in music. I have seen Hoobastank twice, one, co-incidentally in 2002 with Incubus, and then the same year when they supported Green Day. Great band live.

Good band, fantastic live just saw them at download.

Have to say the Ataris are better check out so long astoria - emo rules.

Ataris is pop-punk not "emo" as you put it. do you even know what the word "emo" is...its HARDCORE PUNK with emotionally charged lyrics, for example, bands like..

Converge

Shai Hulud

Indian Summer

Moss Icon

and some new/recent bands like,

Alexisonfire

FromAutumnToAshes

Atreyu

BreakTheSilence

I could go on...

Its not the bloody ataris

I think Incubus had to change abit after SCIENCE. I mean, you cant keep producing the same music and not get new fans. I Think the albums which have followed SCIENCE, which are Make Yourself, Morning View and A Crow Left Of The Murder are all absolutely fantastic albums! Incubus are a step ahead of most bands because they have such a wide range in music, when most bands are just one set genre, i think its cool that Incubus are diverse.

I thought A Crow... was a bit disappointing to be honest, and their Wembley show while good, had a very weird set list, with far too much musical interludeyness. Erm Hoobastank, erm I liked the last album, but I've heard the new one, and they just seemed like the emo boy band. Lol watched totp saturday a few weeks back, and Dale Winton picked The Reason as his song of the week. Apparently it was the ballad which sits right with that of Will Young and Westlife.

And if you're wondering, yes I did laugh my backside off..

• 3 weeks later...
Ataris is pop-punk not "emo" as you put it. do you even know what the word "emo" is...its HARDCORE PUNK with emotionally charged lyrics, for example, bands like..

Converge

Shai Hulud

Indian Summer

Moss Icon

and some new/recent bands like,

Alexisonfire

FromAutumnToAshes

Atreyu

BreakTheSilence

I could go on...

Its not the bloody ataris

Sorry my mistake but thanks for the harsh reply, put me in my place. My fault for pigeon holing things any way.

Best I go back and listen to China Drum and Slipknot at least I know where I stand with them.

Thanks for that Nic, might go see them as well! Mind I'm seeing Avril in October too, but I guess so long's I pay now I won't notice as much. On a side note, Avril is supported by the excellent Simple Plan which I'm totally made up about as I never thought I would see them live, w00t :D Double fun!!

• 2 weeks later...

The only song I'm familiar with is The Reason after someone used it in a Jyushin Liger music video. Nice song, I thought. Good chorus.

As for all this pidgeonholing and genre-ising of music. Isn't that missing the point of what music's supposed to be about? Either a band is good or they aren't. It makes no difference if they're emo this or post-skate that. Whatever happened to the days when it was all just rock......?