Good news for TNA (Impact Rating)

Dead Crow

I am not too sure on how these ratings work, so do correct me if i am wrong. Doesn't Raw pull in a 2.8 - 3.5 rating when it is shown? I know that is a different time slot but surely the ratings would be along the same scale? Therefore doesn't .32 look quite poor?

Yeah its a good indicator that people will still watch the product whatever timeslot its in so if the network let them have a prime time slot in future it means the ratings would perform in that slot...

I mean US ratings are wierd anyway... us British we do it the good old way, we just tell you how many people watched it...

I am not too sure on how these ratings work' date=' so do correct me if i am wrong. Doesn't Raw pull in a 2.8 - 3.5 rating when it is shown? I know that is a different time slot but surely the ratings would be along the same scale? Therefore doesn't .32 look quite poor?[/quote']

Not at all. Take these into consideration...

1) TNA is a young promotion, that is really only filming in two places (Nashville and Orlando). WWE tours the country, has mainstream exposure, and is what wrestling is to casual fans or non-fans. Plus, WWE has had RAW on Cable since 1993. That's 11 years to build a fan base. TNA Impact has been on for all of three weeks.

2) The timeslot is abysmal. 3pm-4pm is when most are at work or only JUST coming back in to work. WWE RAW has a Prime Time Monday Night slot, not an end of the week slot that only kids off ill or "bored housewives" will get to see, and that's not exactly the demograph TNA is gonna get.

3) WWE has an agreement with Spike TV that it can never be pre-emptied for NFL or such. TNA will have a lot of it's broadcasts pre-emptied (either moved to another worse timeslot or not shown at all) and because it's an Affiliation channel, only certain states with FOX-Sports-Net can view TNA, whereas everyone with TNN has the option of RAW.

Considering everything they had against them, I think they suspected a .2 or around that mark. A .32 is excellent for them, but only if they can keep it up, because it means chances are, like almost every other wrestling show, it'll be the highest rated show in it's timeslot for the whole week and possibly be mvoed up to say.. 4pm, within around 6 months.

Very true. As you can see, the affiliates around the country play a big part in where Impact is shown.

I think a lot of their luck comes from being able to work a deal with Orlando because think of how many people visit there per year. I was there last year and the place is chocka-packed every day and every night with young kids, rock music fans (Hard Rock Live is located there), and families. People will go watch TNA for the hell of it. As it grows in popularity, people won't just come to be part of a tourist attraction, but to come see TNA and the stars that they are now familiar with. And as knowledge of Impact tapings grows, more people will notice it's on Impact and make the time to at least tape the shows (even if only to see if they're on it).

It's a good way to draw publicity. WCW used it in 1994-95ish, and eventually led to shows such as Nitro. They also were allowed ticker-parades for big stars such as Hulk Hogan, too. TNA could equally be as effective with it without delving too deep into their Panda pockets.

They need to move the Weekly PPVs to Orlando ASP, the shows from Orlando look like a really glossy high quality product while the Nashville Fairgrounds look like another Independant show. Plus they'll be saving alot of money if they just bring the talent in for two days opposed to the current system of flying talent from Nashville to Orlando every week. Edited by Tajiri

They wouldn't want to. It's where Panda is based, where the TNA "Offices" are based, and where a fair few of the wrestlers are based I believe (well, in Tennessee anyway).

But I see what Taj means. There is limit possibility in the Fairgrounds cas it's a low roof meaning no pyro, and the arena itself is quite gloomy. Plus, the fans are pretty quiet at times too. At least at Orlando, you're guarenteed noise because that's what they make you do lol (they have those classic "cheer" and "boo" commands that you often see on american programmes).

August 1999 - 0.9 on their debut ECW on TNN show.

Doesn't really show too much though. They drew more than TNA, but WWF was drawing more than WWE does now. WWF was averaging 7.0's on a weekly basis, if not even higher. Now it's lucky to get a 4.0 on a weekly basis.

Considering business is down, ECW had a bigger fanbase than TNA, and more people could pick up TNN (I think - I could only presume, but I don't know how many US states can pick it up), TNA is doing well.

Unfortunately, I have a gut feeling it may suffer from XFL syndrome - the good rating to begin with, then halved the next, then halved the next, until it becomes every talk show hosts' biggest joke.