BBC or ITV  

24 members have voted

1. 1. BBC or ITV

• BBC
    • ITV
    • Both Good
    • Both Crap

Wheres eurosport in the poll,

I can't really answer this because if it's not on bbc i watch it on eurosport.

I did actully watch England v France on itv but on in the pub.

I always try and avoid itv's football coverage after the itv digital disaster.

When you watch ITV you get the feeling that covering the other games in the tournament is just some borring chore they have to do so they can talk about England some more, look at the Sweden vs Bulgaria game that even had England supporters pissed off when they devoted what little half time analysis time they have to a England training ground report and Steve McClaren interview along with shilling some retarded competition.

Atleast on the BBC they devote a good 10 minutes at half time actually talking about the game and leave the England stuff untill after the match at which point the other 10 million people in the UK can just switch off.

But if ITV bring back The Andy Townsend Tactics Truck then I might think about changing my mind.

Edited by Tajiri

The BBC... case in point, tonight the Spanish game, the pundits knew the players the historys and rooted for them...

ITV its oh yeah heres the match now how about the french game again...

But for overall the Sky Sport coverage through the season is top notch...

Without a doubt the BBC have the best football coverage of the terestrial channels. Most of their pundits are intelligent guys who really know what they are talking about, and of course they have the god that is Motson!!! One thing that does dissappoint me about the BBC's coverage is their insistance on using Mark Lawrenson anywhere and everywhere on the programs. His voice is mind-numbing, and sometimes he speaks more rubbish that Chris Kamara on Sky which is tough to do!

Kamara is a God, especially on Sports Saturday, with his "rabbit in the headlights" presenting style :)

The best commentary I've heard all season was the Leeds fan Bob Tappet on Fanzone - he was easily the greatest thing on TV with some of his ramblings, such as :

"Thierry Henry - if he's such a star, why does he drive a Renault Clio?"

"Mark Viduka might be a fat pie eater, but he's a goal scoring machine and we love him"

I'm not sure, although I'd probably prefer the BBC slightly just for no ad breaks.

One little thing about the BBC, during half time of the Germany Holland(I think) game they spent a couple of minutes talking about England, and the 2 Scots and the Dane on the panel were referring to England as "we", which I found kinda ironic.

Haven't been able to see the Euro 2004 coverage on English TV yet, but for me, BBC is always streets ahead of ITV in terms of commentators, pundits, coverage, and just overall presentation. I can only imagine how god-awful ITV's coverage has been so far (actually, I think its been mentioned already in other threads). Even Des Lynam looks crap on ITV, whereas if he went back to BBC tomorrow, he'd be back to his old self. BBC all the way. Alan "Thunderbird" Hansen's da man.

Saw the English coverage over the weekend, and as I suspected, BBC crap all over ITV from a great height. The quality of the punditry on ITV is crap. You have Ally McCoist trying to be funny, while Venables says a lot without really saying anything at all. Crap. I mean, on BBC, you have Schmeichel, who should really annoy me, but he doesn't. BBC really seems to have the midas touch.

Just one more thing. I have to say, Irish television have had wonderful coverage of major championships for some years now, thanks mainly to three men: John Giles, Eamon Dunphy and Liam Brady. Giles for his immense knowledge of the game, Dunphy for the controversy and willingness to call it like it is, and Brady for a mixture of the two. At the moment, Gilesy is commentating, so it's mostly Brady, Dunphy, plus one from Denis Irwin, Ray Houghton and, bizarrely, Trevor Steven. It makes for great television, especially since you can tell Liam Brady has no love lost for Dunphy, and old Eamon is always good for a controversial statement.

Have to say, if any of you are ever over here, you should have a look.

I think whose coverage you enjoy the most really depends on why you're interested in the tournament. While neither channel has remained completely impartial, for the most part it has been the case that watching the BBC coverage caters for those wanting to enjoy the fantastic spectacle of sixteen nations competing for a top honour of international football within Europe, while if you prefer ITV that would really suggest that you're only interested in the tournament to watch Ingerlund and probably won't care what happens unless England are involved. Mind you, even for a lot of people who fall into the latter category, ITV have so many advertisement breaks and their coverage is presented so poorly that even then many of the viewers only interested in England will still choose to watch the BBC over ITV should there be any situation in which both cover the same matches at any time.