Public transport

Bob Greenberg

I should have a bit of a byast veiw on Public Transport, as i work for a train company. However i think over the years PT has steadily decreased in quality of both service and cleanliness. The train service that i am a part of seems to enjoy running cattle trucks rather than actual trains, or at least thats what it feels like, each and every train is packed to the rafters. I know theres not too much that can be done about overcrowding, but they seem to be making it worse, my company has recently offloaded 8 carriages to a company in the midlands, which in turn has shortened some peak trains causing them to be even more loaded :evil
  • Like 1

I have a few opinions on public transport. Firstly buses, I don't like them and use them only when necessary. Buses I find smelly, dirty, messy with surly drivers who demand the correct change, they also go the bus route which takes you round every far flung place in your town. Buses I consider local public transport, and in my town I walk everywhere even though its a big place.

Trains are what I consider true public transport, I use them frequently to go into Glasgow. On the whole they are tidy, you usually meet someone you know and the staff are fairly friendly. But it costs about 3 pounds which I suppose is ok considering.

However I believe if they want people to leave the car at home and use public transport then it should be nationalised again and run on a not for profit basis giving customers value for money and clean transport. Nationalising them does have problems such as maintence costs adding to the fare. Some private companies that run the buses offer all day tickets, which again are value for money and perhaps something that should be considered for trains.

Thats what I think anyway.

Public transport is crap! They always try to get me outta my money by claiming I'm 16, even when I hand over my SCHOOL id card with age and photo. Trains stink, me and my mates had to sit next to a pile of SICK before because the train was so packed, and buses stink and the bus drivers are miserable old farts. Gah I hate it!

I have to get a public bus to and back from school, its alright most of the time, but you come across some moody bastards of drivers, and even when its a boiling hot day, like today was, they still have the heating on full blast!

Saying that, the public buses are not nearly as bad as the scholers ones, I'm not even going to go there.

Ill start with bus's. I bloody hate them. If you get on a double decker, you know theres always gonna be a group of scallys upstairs totally trashing the place, and even downstairs the seats and environment and drivers attitudes are appauling. I rarely use buses to be honest now.

Trains, i think are ok. Apart from the X amount of bloody delays! The conductors are better dressed, better attitude etc, and more helpful. The trains are always cleaner than buses, and warm, with better facilities. And i dont think prices are that bad either.

Thats my take on the 2.

Bus's need shapening up.

Trains are not that bad.

Buses around here arent bad at all, they are clean and drivers are friendly I know most of the drivers from outside their jobs so normally talk to them early morns on the way down to college, so I have no compaints really, only thing i dont like is when people on long journey decide to bring larger to the back where I normally go if i with a group of people or dont know the driver and they pissed to hell or one day a group started smoking weed and it was so dam obvious. Driver knew about it an warned them he stop the bus at the nearest police station

Trains are great clean and quite here.

Vamp I'm right with you on your views... the bus services in Rochdale need to do something about the scally problem on all buses...

Trains are alright but I only use the one to Manchester and when I visit relatives in Glasgow but they are ok really...

Buses near me are good, the 471 gets most of the good buses but the 17 goes through Castleton and gets trashed by the scallies so no one bothers to clean them up at all.

Plus train fares are very represtive of your journey however First Bus fares are a big f**king rip off!

I go on the bus very rarely, not at all if I can help it. There's always someone smoking skunk on the bus, the driver ignores the scallies upstairs, old people with loads of bags take up the aisles, as do single mums with a million pushchairs...gah! and they never show up when you need them.

trains are a little bit better round my way, but not much, and they stop running way too early. would it really break the bank to run one just after midnight on the weekend?

that's why I prefer to take the car, or walk if necessary.

i catch the bus to training thats all, if i want to go to cannock which is about 3 miles away i walk or try skive a lift. I dont find buses that bad actually unless they are packed and you get a group of yobs in there. Like when i came back from training just last week and bah gawd were there laods of rebeliious youths all thinking they were big by shouting..SHUT THE HELL UP is what i should of said but my shyness made that damn near impossible

Trains i dont use unless i go to Wolverhampton or somewhere but even then im tempted to go on the old folks bus as its cheaper and gets you closer in town, the fact that between my train stop and the next one i always have to stand up with my skateboard and people look at you like you went in there house christmas morning and pissed on their kids doesnt help. I usually find on the train here that theres usually a bunch of snobbish boring shop workers who think theyre so high up the living chain (whatever its called) that everyone in a pair of jeans is a yob and should be put in jail. God i wear jeans theyre comfortable AHHHHHHHH miserable sods on trains. thats why i hate trains.

Where I live now the buses are so-so. But special mention to the bus that goes around near my house, the #19. It's spotlessly clean, brand new buses, re-upholstered every few months, clean, economic, environmentally friendly, quiet, always on time (we're talking Japanese standards), the bus drivers are friendly, I know a few people on the bus, and, in fact, have made a friend on the bus, because she uses the same route as me to go to work, and to go back home, and she only lives two stops away.

Best of all she's a fabulous babe.

Anyway, when I lived in Birmingham I must admit the bus service waas appauling, but I had a lot of time for the Metro.

The trains in my area are good, too. My town is a former railway hub and the trains are clean, quiet, not packed ever, not even going to London, and very punctual.

Yay public transport...THAT I USE.

Cheers!

having done nearly a year of commuting, i have decided that though i hate trains they arent too bad, wagn fork up quite a bit its annyoing yes. in london the tube is ok at times as long as the scallys aint on strike. buses in london are pretty damn good to be fair

I don't see that much of a problem with the buses around here. I can usually convince the drivers that I'm only 15 (yeah, I'm cheap) and sometimes they're even pleasant! The people that use them aren't too bad either, I come back from my girlfriend's about half 11 on weeknights and there's this old guy with long frizzy hair and dirty beard, always coughing and taking his chip shop food home, I can just imagine him smoking pot and doing acid listening to Pink Floyd back in the day. haa.