The blue or the grey?

Ed_666

Which cage do you prefer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which cage do you prefer?

• Blue one with bars
    • Grey one with mesh

No, it's not a poll about the American Civil War, it's a question about steel cage matches. Which type of cage do you prefer?

The old blue kind with the bars, or the new version with the mesh fencing, similar to the HiaC?

Personally I preferred the old blue cage. If someone got thrown into those bars, it looked like it really hurt, and you could believe they were busted open.

With the mesh ones, it just looks stupid when (like HHH) you're thrown into it once and are suddenly cut open, yet they're thrown into it a dozen times with their back, but don't have a scratch on them. :roll

It also looks like a nice soft landing, yet they sell it like they've hit a brick wall. Hitting the turnbuckles looks far more painful, and people do that every match.

The blue one was also a lot better for climbing.

So, which did you prefer?

Ed

Blue is the one for me. Good ole blue.

Yeah, todays guys do like the mesh because it easier on them like WWFBeltMark said.

Yeah it does cut easier and that's good. It's easier for blood to flow when the "script" says for it too.

But I'm a fan, not a wrestler, I want to see a guy get slammed hard into solid steel man!!! I'm sick of the weaker fences. What's next, the padded cell match?!

Boyo much prefers the blue bars to the stupid mesh gaylord cages.

I mean I thought the whole point of a cage match was to beat your opponent senseless and climb out of the cage? That's what you usually got with the blue bars.

Invariably, these days you get more wrestlers trying to leave through the door of the mesh cages and that's just gay.

You need to CLIMB OUT OF a cage, guys, not walk out of...

Cheers!

Cage Matches

I went for the grey mesh cage although there are advantages and disadvantages of both types of cage i much prefer the grey mesh for me i think it looks better on camera although as mentioned earlier the grey mesh cage is much harder to climb hence why most wrestlers now climb the turnbuckle and then climb the cage from there also you can do much better moves from the top of the grey cage (if anyone remembers Rikishi dive off the top of the cage at Fully Loaded 2000 on Val Venis it was awesome) i cant remember many moves done off the top of the blue cage only maybe Mankind elbow drop on HHH at Summerslam 1997.I think the last time the blue cage was used was at St.Valentines Day Masacre Austin Vs McMahon

Yeah its true you can do better moves from the top now but the fact is the match can now be won by pinfall or walkng out the door...

In the old days you wanted out so you didn't think I'll just do a Swanton or a splash or Moonsault or Headbutt from the top... you thought screw this I'm out of here...

Thats the point of a cage match.... two men struggling to escape.

For me Its got to be blue bars. Blue bars seem stronger easier to climb and since the WWE introduced the mesh, it seems to me the cage match is more of a simple match where you cant get out, whereas the blue bars were more of a weapon

As was mentioned above, I can't stand a door in steel cage matches. The idea is that you're trapped in this claustrophobic environment where the only way to escape is by beating your opponent to within an inch of his life, then climbing over, which is a dangerous activity itself.

If there was a door in UFC that you could win by if you went through, matches would last about 9 seconds max. A punch to the face and a sprint through the door. I just don't buy the idea of when you've got a guy out cold on the mat, you take 30 seconds to stand up and walk slower than Big Show to a weigh-in. It's bad enough watching ladder matches where the guys climb like they've got lead boots, but cage matches used to be more about the aforementioned claustrophobic environment, not a race to a door.

Of course, I prefer the old school cage matches where the idea is that the cage is an inescapable weapon, and only a win by pinfall will win you the match. Two classic Flair matches from the 80's, one against Kerry Von Erich, one against Harley Race, took place with these "no escape" rules and they made for some great watchin'.

WWE really should consider bringing back the blue steel cage, if only to differenciate it further from the mesh of the Hell In A Cell.

ive said the grey mesh one simply by eenie meenie miney mo as i liek both styles. The blue one is excellent for hard hitting matches and for making it look better when they sold it

QUICK FACT- The last cage match where this was used was Rebellion 2001 in an Intercontinental Championship Match betwen Edge and Christian- Edge retained the title when he tied up Christians feet through the cage.

As for the mesh one well the way the top is designed there are some quality high flying moves and huge bumps from up there which is why i like that

QUICK FACT- The last cage match where this was used was Rebellion 2001 in an Intercontinental Championship Match betwen Edge and Christian- Edge retained the title when he tied up Christians feet through the cage.

I seem to remember that cage almost falling apart in that match.

Maybe they could hip the grey one over here to England.

But, with theblue cage, you cant stand on the top properly.

Imagine some of the things that would have happened if the blue cages were still used

>Angle moonsault from the top

>Benoit diving headbutt from top

>Rikishi splashing Val Venis from the middle of the top

>Rey diving plancha on his debut Smackdown from the top landing on several wrestlers

>Jeff Hardy swanton bomb from the top, through a table

...and many more!!!

Less people escaping over the top is IMO a symptom of the mesh cage, because as people said, it's hard to climb, so people need to climb the ropes and make a jump for the top. And the fact is you can't do that slowly! :lol

With the blue cage, wrestlers who'd had a grueling match could sloooooowly climb the bars with the crowd wondering if the opponent would catch them in time before they got over the top. Nowadays that can't happen.

It's a bit like ladder matches where they climb slowly, the crowd thinks they'll win, then at the last min someone pushes it over. It builds antici........................pation. :xyx

As to the moves off the top of the cage, what's to stop them making a blue bar cage with those bits around the top?

Ed

I miss the blue cage so much. The grey one just doesn't have the same feeling at all. I know its far more dangerous but I'd like to think I'm correct in saying that there have been more classic matches in the old blue cage than the stinking grey one.

Plus I also don't see how moves off the top of the cage being impossible is a bad thing... unless you are Jeff Hardy.

I seem to remember that cage almost falling apart in that match.

Maybe they could hip the grey one over here to England.

But, with theblue cage, you cant stand on the top properly.

Imagine some of the things that would have happened if the blue cages were still used

>Angle moonsault from the top

>Benoit diving headbutt from top

>Rikishi splashing Val Venis from the middle of the top

>Rey diving plancha on his debut Smackdown from the top landing on several wrestlers

>Jeff Hardy swanton bomb from the top, through a table

...and many more!!!

exactly, and yeah it nearly fell apart it was bloody awful

i remember the finish well tho christian was out and climbing down but edge grabbed his feet pulled them through and taped them together with his wrist tape?!!! and then climbed over and clotselined christian on hsi way down resulting in an edge ic title retain. worst match between them though