Death of the DDT

John316

Is The DDT DEAD?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is The DDT DEAD?

• Yes
    • No

A long time ago in a Federation far far away(sounds familiar) there was DDT!!!!

If my failing memory serves me correctly Jake 'The Snake' Roberts first started using this move on TV or at least named it back in the 80's. It was devastating, pretty much always won matches and nobody did it better(also sounds familiar). BUT LATELY(hmmmm) it has become a nothing move. The DDT is now the refuge of the weary tag teamer. Need to tag in for a change of pace (or in some cases a rest) do the DDT! Wrestlers do headstands(look no hands- RVD) thru the DDT now and beat the 1-2-3! On Raw week before Bad Blood Lita won her match with the DDT. Gail Kim headstanded(?) her way thru it and reacted perfectly...AS THOUGH SHE WAS STUNNED!!! COULDN'T MOVE!!! PERFECT!!! Who says the women of WWE don't know what they're doing. But lets face it the DDT is dead isn't it? :?

Jake said in an iterveiw with IGN that the people he thought that did it the best were China and Jazz. I still love when Raven and Tommy Dreamer fight. There are DDT attempts flying left and right but when one finally breaks through it was exhilerating.

No the DDT is not dead, it's more like a great song getting butchered by American Idol rejects, it's just amazing when done the way it is supposed to. And in the case of the DDT, it is best used as a finisher.

Its just a case of moves becoming transitioned out of finisher usage... the DDT and Piledriver were legit finishers along with other moves in th 80's/early 90's and then become just normal arsenal moves...

Finishers now are a bit more complex and will get complexer... its the innovators of the indy scene who cause it...

Its just a case of moves becoming transitioned out of finisher usage... the DDT and Piledriver were legit finishers along with other moves in th 80's/early 90's and then become just normal arsenal moves.

Darn you Gringo. It's hard to be your nemesis when I agree with you so often. :evil :lol :P

what about the tombstone?

We saw many Tombstones last year when Kane was drilling everybody in sight into the ground (Linda and Shane McMahon)

And from the Deadman also

But the DDT is now used for a more desperation move, when wrestlers getting their asses kicked in the ring start their come back to gain some momentum.

Just thing of the Michael Cole shout when Eddie hits a DDT

"And a DDT oout of nowhere! A DESPERATION move, and Eddie can start gaining some momentum!"

While I'm quoting Cole, here's my favourite,

"And Eddie is ALL fired up!"

The DDT is going is just another arsenal move now. There's nothing special about it, which is really a shame since there are so many cool variations. My favorite had to be Sting's Scorpion Death Drop. It was amazing. Lita's does look pretty B-A as well, but good one's now are few and far between.

Jake Roberts invented the move slightly by accident and the Tombstone was banned because HHH was afraid to take one, boo hoo!!! Jake was king of the DDT as he had a beautiflul snap to it and his oppos took them well too. The Tombstone has been re-introduced because HHH is on Raw and 'Taker is on Smackdown and also Kane uses the Chokeslam more as his finisher. If you remember the Hell in the Cell Match between 'Taker and Lesnar then you will also remember that Brock was also afraid to take a Tombstone and slipped out of it to give 'Taker the F5. No Man except Kane and Hogan kicked out of the Tombstone much the same as Jake's DDT.

I'm pretty sure that as Taker and Ultimate Warrior had body bag matches on house shows during Takers rookie year and Warrior won quite a few that Warrior must have kicked out as it was part of his match working...

Gets hit with finisher... no sell it... shake like a parkinsons sufferer (bad taste sorry) and ten hit his flurry and win...

But as it was Dark matches I can't be sure...

Anyway the DDT variation I like best is either the Deja Vu or the Shinaru... the Deja Vu is a tilt-a-whirl headscissors into a DDT... and the Shinaru is a 3/4 headlock backflip reverse DDT after running up the ropes ala a Dudley Dog... A cooler version of the Asai DDT if you will.

I would say the DDT as a finishing move is dead, or at least dying. People used to fear the DDT as a destructive and painful move that finished off opponents with ease, Jake Roberts was one of the main users of it. However now the move has been used too many times during matches and that has "weakened" it.

Its just a case of moves becoming transitioned out of finisher usage... the DDT and Piledriver were legit finishers along with other moves in th 80's/early 90's and then become just normal arsenal moves...

Finishers now are a bit more complex and will get complexer... its the innovators of the indy scene who cause it...

Has the piledriver been dropped because it was too dangerous and too easy for kids to copy rather than because it got boring / normal?

Watching that Mick Foley DVD, I'm amazed half those people could walk after some of those piledrivers.

Has the piledriver been dropped because it was too dangerous and too easy for kids to copy rather than because it got boring / normal?

Watching that Mick Foley DVD, I'm amazed half those people could walk after some of those piledrivers.

Would you please SHUT THE HELL UP!

I'm sick and tired of reading the k-rap you post - nobody paid to read you talking about the Mick Foley DVD. When are you going to make a decent post, thats what i want to know!

OK then.........

I hope you two know each other becouse thats the only reason you won't come off looking stupid OliScott. Chill dude.

And KW I agree about the DVD, some of those piledrivers left me wincing for the poor sods on the recieving end.

• Like 1

The piledriver has been dropped along with the Belly to Belly Overhead Suplex... The managment feel that over-usage of such moves by the talent will cause neck injuries... But the fact is apart from the Tombstone/Rikishi Driver when did you see anybody get beat by a Piledriver... Tazz took three Jerry Lawler piledrivers and kicked out at 2! He stood up from the first one!

Its no longer a finsher unless something is added to the move... Same with the DDT, a normal isn't really a finisher but if you do something fancy or modify it it can be as it is unique... Face it the F-5 was a Firemans carry into a DDT and only two men ever withstood it... Goldberg and Angle.

But the fact is apart from the Tombstone/Rikishi Driver when did you see anybody get beat by a Piledriver... Tazz took three Jerry Lawler piledrivers and kicked out at 2! He stood up from the first one!

Gringo has a good point...as always.

Speaking of standing right up after a piledriver. Road warrior Hawk would stand up right after he was piledriven...every time.

It was part of his gimmick.

-Courtesy of The Maxx's vault of Twisted wrestling knowlage!

All too true... but like I was saying any move becomes used that much that people become 'immune' to it...

So people modify the move so it hurts more or looks flashier and it can still be used as a finisher... Piledriver has changed to the Thunder Fire Driver (Rikishi) Tombstone... The Brain Damage that Red uses etc...

Same with the DDT and the Powerbomb... the Jacknife is just a powerbomb from a big bloke, but Mike Awesome's Running Awesome bloody hurts.

Same with the DDT and the Powerbomb... the Jacknife is just a powerbomb from a big bloke, but Mike Awesome's Running Awesome bloody hurts.

The first time I saw the Awsome bomb was Against Masato Tanaka in ECW. I'll never forget...Mike Awesome had Tanaka preped for it, looked to tha crowd and said...'Awesome Bomb!'...To me it sounded like he said... 'What's up mom!'

I guess Joey Styles heard the same thing as he stated...'Did Mike Awesome just say hi to his Mother?!' :lol

That was good stuff!

Funny and Twisted :devil