How much does it cost to run a UK show?

Dandeman2004

Most UK shows are small-style so I'll work with this...

Arena hire is pretty steep. You're looking at a good few hundred or so for the night. Ring hire can set you back a good few hundred. Pyro isn't essential but some frame of production should be there. That's an added hundred or so. Wrestlers - no idea what the going rate is (some make £50, some make £5), but most would probably want money beforehand or on the night - that'll set you back a hundred or so. PA, music, etc. That'd run into it's thousands for buying - no idea about hiring. Insurance - essential. That's gonna be hella costly. Advertising is really important too, and thats another hundred out of your wallet.

You'd basically be looking into almost £10,000+ if you go the whole hog even if for one show.

Of course, you can do it cheaper, but it depends how many corners you can cut and how you treat other promotions and such (if you're nice to them, they may be able to work around a set budget if you have one as far as hire and help goes).

Some wrestlers are working for experience in the ring against new opponents, they wrestle for that much because the promoter is willing to give them a chance to shine.

Some wrestlers may hold the promoter in high regard and will do it more as a favour and the fiver is a thank you.

And some wrestlers just don't value themselves highly enough

But most wrestlers will ask for the promoter to pay petrol costs.

Saracen

Ok, I may not be right here, but this is how I understand it.

Merchandising is like this, you buy the stuff from a depot as cheaply as possible then sell it on for a profit.

Plus an American Star will ask top dollar for their appearance and usually travel costs on top of that, and yes that does mean flight money if they are in America at the time.

This is why only bigger promotions can afford to organise bigger stars, because they willl eat into your profit.

Saracen

Yeah but with Raven on the show because its rare that he is over here then with him and good advertising the show would sell out?? It did when I went to see British Bulldog in Balckpool and there was a queue(sp) all the way through the show at the merchandise stand. Even though Bulldog did a no show and they had Tatanka instead

Yeah, it probably would sell ou,t but you have to guarentee he will be there and that people definately believe hes coming over.

Problem is, many UK fans are too skeptical now after WrestleXpress and X-Wrestling. So it takes a lot to build their trust back up as a new promotion. That's why the first show is best to have no americans or whatnot - just local talent, a few well known guys such as Rob Hunter or Andy Hogg, and maybe one big UK star such as Doug Williams or Jonny Storm. Run it at the smallest cost possible, and hopefully you'll be able to break even (which a lot of promotions just about manage if ran properly).

WrestleXpress was run by a conartist called (I think) Ryan Hewson, but I may be very wrong and confusing myself. He basically took the money and ran, and then declared ignorance.

X-W was just too big a deal for anyone to even suspect would work. Contracts, money, etc.