Spirited Away

.sixtythree.

i'm not big on anime, or cartoon films on a whole, but i watched Spirited Away today (after hearing rave reviews) and was pleasently surprised with it. i'd recommend it to anyone who has an appreciation for sentiment within a film. it's just a 2-hour escape for the mind.

anyone happen to see it?

my avatar is a character from the movie aptly named "No Face".

Got it, seen it, LOVED it

Japanese Anime is far different from our western animated series and features, and also on japanese movies. I'd say that Anime is better than alot of big budget movies from the USA as they have less money so they have great stories as opposed to just throwing CGI at the audience for 2 and a half hours

OMG that is like the scariest movie I've ever seen!! :eek

If you don't want to hear some spoilers then don't read the next bit.

SPOILER SPACE

Think about it, you're a 10 year old girl who ends up in some weird place, your parents turn into pigs and are going to be eaten, and you're captured by a giant headed woman who forces you into slave labour with the threat of being eaten or burned in the furnace if you don't work hard!! :eek

Then to make it worse there's all manner of freakish monsters turning up on the doorstep and doing nice things like eating people. Oh, and you've no hope of escaping because she's stolen your name and your only friends are some freakish spider guy with loads of long spindly legs, some weird spider creatures which are bits of soot, and a kid who turns into a fericious dragon every now and then!

How scary is that? I mean seriously, any small child watching this film will have nightmares for years! In fact it's all probably based on some nightmare a kid had, and I bet they pissed the bed with fear! :lol

There were some nice ideas in it (the paper bird things were pretty cool, especially the one who was helping her) but overall it just seemed like some freakish nightmare.

Ed

Nightmare? i thought that although yeah there are some 'scary' characters that little kids may find a little scary it was a beautiful fantasy world.... i LOVED the bit with the stink god (i don't remember what it was properly called but it looked looked a huge slug under a load of mud/oil slick Edited by Anime Otaku