England V France

BRM

Well it's nearly here euro 2004 4 years after there golden goal victory over italy, the french begin there defence against England. This really promises to be a great game. The last competitive game between the two sides game 12 years ago during euro 92 in what was a forgettable 0-0 so my hopes are high of a better showing this time. The game should be pretty tight and whoever comes in for terry is going to have to have a hell of a game, i'm thinking pushing neville in and playing carragher as a full back may be the best option but it appears as if king will take terrys place. I now think England will go for the flat four in the middle which should help Beckham as he should be able to help lizarazu some problems i'm also fairly sure that owen and rooney can cause the ageing french defench some problems. The main battles will of course be in the center of the park which is fortunate really as England are blessed in that area, unfortunatlythe French are too Gerrard/Lampard v Viera/Makeleke tasty huh. Up front the French are probably the best forward in the world in Henry but the guy does like to play alone and he probably won't get the chance for the French.

Altogether it's a game you can't afford to miss and i'm going for a 3-2 victory for the English mainly due to national pride and i've got a fiver on it too.

I'll be watching at the rolls royce social club as there showing Germany-England first then the big game and at a pound a pint you can't complain

Where will you lot be watching the big mach and what will the outcome be

Enjoy the game.

Edited by BRM

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know where I'll watch the big game, and I don't know about the outcome. I know if France turn up and play their best, we'll really need to put on a performance. The defence is worrying me, I wouldn't put Gary Neville in the middle personally, I'd rather Carragher played there, I think due to his lack of attacking capabilities it's probably his ideal position. But if it's Carragher or King, either will have to play out of their skin.

Heard a lot of talk of a 5 man midfield with Owen up front on his own, leaving Nicky Butt to watch Zidane, that would be a bit negative for me, I'd like the same starting 11 as started the Greece game, as BRM said, Owen and Rooney should cause the French defence problems.

I really can't wait for this match. The build up has been absolutely awesome and seeing all the flags on cars etc, it really gets the excitement going. We have to go with the flat four, i'm not too keen on the diamond formation. Go with the natural flat four and they should do their job well enough.

Carragher was our best player last season behind Stevie G, and he definately deserves to stand in for Terry. I honestly can't believe Ledley King has a chance of starting on Sunday infront of Jamie. Jamie is a cracking defender, awesome tackler, good in the air, very strong and has experience in the Champs League and UEFA Cup. King showed a little promise against Portugal in a friendly a few months back but what else has he done? King doesn't even shine for Spurs! Carragher has played at the top level and has impressed.

Lampard should play instead of Butt. Butt is a great player but we wanna win this game, and Lamps has had an outstanding seasons and deserves his spot. He can score goals, create and will cause problems for the French.

My only worry is James, some keepers have a tendency of being embarrassed at major tournaments but fingers crossed that won't be James.

I bloody can't wait for Sunday!

Come on boys, football's coming home, it's coming home...

I've never understood England fans singing "Football's coming home". Sure, it made sense at Euro 96, when the tagline for the event was "Football's Coming Home", meaning that there's going to be a tournament in the country that the game was invented in.

But why sing it in 2004? Unless, of course, some England fans consider Portugal to be the home of football, in that case they'd be right.

Anyway, I'll say a 2-0 victory for France. They're a better side than England, so I say that they'll win.

For this match I would say a 1-1 draw. France have a real quality team but i think england can keep them at bay. If france get an early goal and keep the pressure on i think they will slaughter us really but if england keep control im quite confident in them.

I think England should play a 4-4-2, flat midfield. Forget diamond formations and adding Nicky Butt to cope with Zidane etc etc. As said earlier, it's too negative. If England did that then they would be basing their formation around what France do. Remember, England have to take the game to France as well.

France are blessed with Henry, Zidane, Pires, and Trezeguet going forwards, but none of those guys are defenders in any sense of the word. If England weather the storm and then put some attacks together then Vieira and Makalele will be over-run and I don't think the French can cope with England's attack.

I can't see Rooney influencing the game that much. I can see Owen causing all kinds of problems, and Rooney dropping deep and running at France a couple of times, but pound for pound, I think Owen and Rooney will disrupt France's defence rather than breach it.

If England do score against France, I'd put money on a midfielder sneaking in unmarked when one of Pires, Trezeguet or Zidane doesn't track back.

Lampard or Scholes then.

As for the defender to replace Terry, personally, I say Ledley King. I know he's got less experience than Carragher but he's a natural, elegant, ball playing defender with good height and pace, and strength. I think he's much more gifted than Carragher.

Saying that I'd be happy enough with Carragher, who as Pabster pointed out, has had an excellent season.

Cheers!

If England plays 4-4-2 a midfield of Scholes on the left, Beckham on the right and Lampard and Gerrard in the middle looks very good.

Only problem(s) are France are very, very good defensively and I find it very doubtful that England's proposed defense will be able to handle Henry, Trezeguet, Pires and Zidane.

I take France to win because they are tactically and techinically more sound than England. 3-1.

England to win, basic 442 formation because our midfields much better then. Not sure if Rooney will upset them really, I would prefer *shock horror* someone like Vassell, or may I even say it Heskey, as they can control there tempers and will run at Frances defence, and Vassell can deliver the goods. Looking forward to an entertaining match though.

I predict France to win. We always build up our hopes every single time and we know we will not win. Fact is France are better than us, and i reckon they are up for it. And if France and England are both really ready for it.. then France will edge it because they are better.

2-1 to France, after England take the lead.

Ill be watchin it either at home.. or on a big screen in manchester city centre!!

Good luck guys!!

I've never understood England fans singing "Football's coming home". Sure, it made sense at Euro 96, when the tagline for the event was "Football's Coming Home", meaning that there's going to be a tournament in the country that the game was invented in.

But why sing it in 2004? Unless, of course, some England fans consider Portugal to be the home of football, in that case they'd be right.

Anyway, I'll say a 2-0 victory for France. They're a better side than England, so I say that they'll win.

I guess we're on about winning it and bringing it "home"

**** you David James' date=' **** YOU. Taking out Henry when were drawing, smart move you shit head.[/quote']

Erm no, it should be f*ck you Steven Gerrard for a suicidal backpass which gave James no option but to bring Henry down and f*ck you David Beckham for missing the penalty.