The Rock

E2K

Something I’ve noticed in my time on TWO. While we all have our favourite wrestlers, there are three wrestlers in particular that seem to me to evoke very different opinions in people. People’s perception of them tend to differ wildly, so much so that you’re almost into the “love em or hate em” realm. Two of these (HHH and Benoit) have been discussed to death already, the good points and bad points given and argued on. So rather than mention them again, I wanna ask “the people’s” honest opinion on The Rock.

Now, my honest opinion on The Rock is this; first off, I’ve never seen anyone better on the mike. He’s a superbly charismatic and funny individual, who still has the best promo around, in my opinion. His catchphrases are great (if occasionally over-used, especially when he’s a face), and as far as trash-talkin goes, there are few better.

As far as his matches go, there are probably better in-ring talents. However, he has had too many superb matches in his time to have been carried in ALL of them. From 1998 – 2001, there were few more consistent than the Rock, and he’s right up there with Stone Cold as THE main man in that time period. Ok, the peoples elbow ain’t the best, but then its really more of a “sports entertainment” move than a “wrestling” move, if you see what I’m saying, designed to get the crowd on their feet, which it invariably did. His sharpshooter is terrible, but as far as his arsenal of moves go, that’s as bad as it gets.

I also think the guy is a good professional, who never has a problem staring at the lights for anyone, and doesn’t get heavily involved in backstage politics, which is refreshing for a headliner.

Personally, I miss the Rock now that he’s a part-timer. I have to say, from mid-2001 to mid-2002, I wasn’t the Rock’s biggest fan, cos I thought his catchphrases and promos had become a bit old. His return as a heel in 2003 solved that. I loved him as a heel. It might be for the best that he’s only a part-timer now, cos for me, he gets old as a babyface after a while. Either way, I have to say that, while the Rock isn’t my favourite ever, he’s up there.

The Rock along with Steve Austin is one of the reasons that wrestling after the boom period of the Monday Night continued to be popular in the States and over here...

When Austin had to disappear the WWE needed a new workhorse, and in the Rock they found him, his fued with HHH for me was more intresting and entertaining then the Austin/McMahon which IMOo, dragged on a little too much...

And as for in the ring, well Rock isn't selfish, he sells for all concerned, he has maybe a slightly limited moveset but he knoews how to pace the moves, tease and deliver...

For me the Rock was a complete package, maybe Angle was better in the ring but he wasn't as over.... HHH is boring on the mic but could get the heat and at the time hold his own at the Rocks pace... and when you put Jericho and the Rock in a ring or on mics it was never dull...

Its just a shame Hollywood came a calling because we could all do with the Rock on Smackdown brightening the place up right now.

Well personally, I love The Rock. Always have done, always will do. He's up there with the best of them as a top performer. Great on the mic and in the ring.

The Rock used to be my second favourite wrestler but then he left. Now don't get me wrong I still think The Rock is great but I have grown to like Triple H. Triple H is my second favourite wrestler, coming behind Austin. Triple H, in himself, and in his gimmick, simply appeals to me. From the suits and having all of the money, to going out to perform the best he can whilst coming back from a career threatening injury. Triple H represents a lot for me.

Chris Benoit. I used to dislike Chris Benoit. I never minded him, but I never cheered him on or would be happy to see him. I saw him as an established mid-carder and nothing more. When he won the royal rumble it seemed to annoy me, and then he beat Triple H,which pissed me off even more. However, I didn't expect Benoit to do that, if you had have asked me in mid 2003 i would have asked what the hell you were talking about.

Benoit is certainly not one of my favourites, but I'm happy he's about, and now see him as an established main eventer. WWE have done a good job with him and he should be proud. I went to the tour of defiance at Birmingham, and was really happy to see Benoit there. And yes, I cheered him :) Why not? The guy also represents a lot, is a great wrestler, and his mic skills aren't the best in the world but they're certainly not bad. Yeah, he beat Triple H, but I can deal with that :) They put on some good matches together...

Pretty much echo what everyone one else has said about that Rock really. But what I really respect about the guy is that he doesn't seem to have a huge ego in terms of jobbing to people. He is always there to get new talent over, i.e. Kurt Angle, Chris Jericho and he doesn't seem to mind jobbing to the established talent as well, I think he is a credit to the WWE.

I do admit the Rock is something special, he makes me smile all the time when he promos, has his mannerisms down pat and in the ring I think he is a very, very good seller.

His moves are, if you look at it too seriously, a little weak, but they are crowd pleasers and to be honest, if you can get someone to scream and shout over something as farcacle as the people's elbow, then it says a lot for the man.

However, the Rock has a slight comedy element about him, something not quite to be beleived, which gives his character charm and it makes people endear to him easily.

It is no wonder that hollywood came a callin'

Saracen

What I'm about to say is from what I've read, not from firsthand knowledge. Don't think that I'm running around saying that I know the Rock, his family or any WWE people. :)

I've not heard of any WWE workers say negative things about the Rock backstage. Even after he went to Hollywood and came back for a brief moment, all the things I've read that other talent have said about Rocky backstage were all nice. :xyx

People he's worked with in Hollywood have all praised his attitude, personality and work ethic. :xyx

His family and friends always go on about how he's a really nice guy. He sings romantic songs to his wife :wub , loves his little girl immeasurably :wub , and takes care of his business :xyx . Those are HUGELY important things in my book.

I admire, appreciate and respect the man a great deal.

I was one of those people who didn't fully appreciate The Rock when he was on every week. I used to enjoy his matches and promos, but no more than anyone else, to be honest.

Only when he left did I notice that he was the guy who provided the spark for Smackdown and Raw. I appreciated him more once he had left.

When he comes back and effortlessly has the crowd eating out of his hand do you realise what a special talent he is.

And I don't mean in a "Eugene" kind of way, either...

Cheers!

Well it seems like all the good stuff about the Rock has already been said, so i wont repeat it.

But yes the Rock is very special, and he will always have a special place in my wrestling heart.

And rumors a flying around that he will be back at Summerslam, and that he might been making a longer stay in the WWE, but i doubt it very much...

Right now im just happy to see him every time he finds time to apear...

I love the rock. One of the main reasons I dont watch no more is because Rock's not on there. He's got the superstar aura, but he's not bothered about losing. He has the crowd in his hands and cuts a killer promo. Massive respect for the bloke.

I completely agree with Boyo, i never thought much of Rocky when he was on tv week in week out. But towards the end i found him very entertaining. The Rock concert 2 in particular with his Goldberg songs had me in stiches. Still i would have watched Raw week in week out. Rocks presence was never vital to me.

Agree with Sharpshooter and Boyo I pretty much didnt like The Rock as a character when he was there but since he has left I have thought the WWE very much needed the presence of a comedy character in the WWE. The Rock made the best out of fueds and very much made him the most over star since Austin and before that Hogan and this made him have many great fueds. I hope if Jericho gets the title these have a long fued much like HHH vs HBK but better. If these two did have a fued Im sure it would be awesome when both are on the mic and in the ring

I was one of those people who didn't fully appreciate The Rock when he was on every week. I used to enjoy his matches and promos, but no more than anyone else, to be honest.

Only when he left did I notice that he was the guy who provided the spark for Smackdown and Raw. I appreciated him more once he had left.

When he comes back and effortlessly has the crowd eating out of his hand do you realise what a special talent he is.

And I don't mean in a "Eugene" kind of way, either...

Cheers!

Exactly the same as me. Perhaps that speaks more if you miss them more when they are not there, than care for them when they are there :?

My honest opinion on The Rock is this; first off, I’ve never seen anyone better on the mike. He’s a superbly charismatic and funny individual, who still has the best promo around, in my opinion. His catchphrases are great (if occasionally over-used, especially when he’s a face), and as far as trash-talkin goes, there are few better.

As far as his matches go, there are probably better in-ring talents. From 1998 – 2001, there were few more consistent than the Rock, and he’s right up there with Stone Cold as THE main man in that time period. Ok, the peoples elbow ain’t the best, but then its really more of a “sports entertainment” move than a “wrestling” move, if you see what I’m saying, designed to get the crowd on their feet, which it invariably did.

I also think the guy is a good professional, who never has a problem staring at the lights for anyone, and doesn’t get heavily involved in backstage politics, which is refreshing for a headliner.

:eek If agreed much more with him on so many topics, it would scare me. Listen to the man people.

Seriously. I agree. I think The Rock will go down in history as one of the best in WWF/E history. He had revitalized wrestling. Yes true, the People's Elbow is not the best (not even close) but Hulk Hogan proved that you don't have have the best finisher to become a mega superstar. Hogan couldn't wrestle and he become one of if not the biggest name in sports entertainment history. The Rock has it all. The looks (for the ladies), the smooth trash talking (on the mic), the behind the scenes repect and likeability and he could wrestle. Nice guy too.

He's done good things for the business and I miss him myself.

The Rock is only part time but only doing part of the job. He is way more entertainment than sport. His matches were never really that realistic, but then again Hulk Hogan's matches were never that realistic after all. I believe that with a better arsenal of moves the Rock could become an even bigger star than he already is. Just picture the Rock flying off the top rope with the new "People's Elbow". Or how about giving him Entrance music that doesn't rely on him saying one phrase at the begining then followed by a drum solo for the rest.

The Rock is only part time but only doing part of the job. He is way more entertainment than sport. His matches were never really that realistic' date=' but then again Hulk Hogan's matches were never that realistic after all. I believe that with a better arsenal of moves the Rock could become an even bigger star than he already is. Just picture the Rock flying off the top rope with the new "People's Elbow". Or how about giving him Entrance music that doesn't rely on him saying one phrase at the begining then followed by a drum solo for the rest.[/quote']

The simple principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

the great one is a legend, excellent as a goodie or baddie, the only criticism i have of the rock when he is a baddie, is sometimes he leaves his heel mannerisms at home, and plays more of a comedic heel which causes him to be cheered and this can make his opponent look bad. (eg against goldberg at backlash 2003) i would like to c him try play more of an old school type heel, someone like million dollar man who the fans would never have cheered, but overall the rock truly is the great one.

Anyone c him on mtv punked? classic rock!!!!

I was never a big Rock fan, but there were a few things about him i did enjoy.

His verbal skills were just brilliant, he could make anybody laugh, chant or boo. You knew that when the Rock got the microphone, even as a heel, you were in for a treat.

The Catchphrases: "IF you Smell...., It doesnt matter....., Finally....., Pie, One on One with the great one etc. Nuff said.

He knew how to work a crowd and keep a crowd going.

However, some things that other wrestlers have written about him keeps him down in the bad books list. In biographys etc wrestlers always talk about their friends in the buisness. I have yet to read one where they talk about the Rock in a positive light all the way through. Hulk Hogan, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, Rick Flair etc all have said things about the Rock and not all of them have been good.

He was/is a great big cash cow for WWE, hence why they want to keep hold of him and help market him, but they need him more than he needs them right now.

The Rock is an amazing entertainer, I'm not high on his wrestling ability but you know this guy knows how to work a wrestling match, The intensity that he brings to a match is nothing short of brilliant. Plus he never let his superstadom go to his head as he was always willing to do the job for virtually anybody, This is why I have nothing but respect for the Rock.

Aside from Ric Flair and perhaps Hulk Hogan, I'd say Rock is probably the most charismatic superstar to ever set foot in WWE. He has that ability to play both the face, and the heel, Which might I add, Is when he is at his best in my opinion.

It's hard not to like the guy considering some of the great matches and great promos this guy has done in his time.

Ahem - the Rock...Lady's and Gentlemen, one of the finest talents the WWE has had in a long, long time.

I myself don't believe I've seen many bad Rock matches, as far as my casual eye goes - but then, I didn't get to see Rock/Hogan @ the WM's, or Rock/Goldberg, so I can't say there isn't a chance of any existing.

But He is one of their crown jewels, and an asset that is surely lacking in the company right now.

Let's be honest - Rock should be around more, but his schedule is simply overloaded at the best of times...but it's always good to see that cocky smile, the sunglasses, the shirts, and the people standing at the edge of their seats whenever he hits the arena's.

Ahh, Rocky - come back...all is forgiven. Xx;