whos gonna be the biggest let down at euro 2004??

Hmmm, biggest letdown. Well, teamwise, Holland and Spain are always good choices, cos they've done it so often in the past. It'll be interesting to see if they do it again. Player-wise, maybe Raul. He tends to shoulder the burden of scoring the goals for Spain and making things happen. He's buckled under that pressure before, he may do it again. In fact, I hope for his sake that goal he scores in the adidas ad isn't the only goal he scores this summer

I'd have to say the biggest let down will be Spain, they always lose it in the tourneys and go out ot a crap team, although in Japan they were screwed over...

Raul like its been said just can't get it done in a Spainish shirt at a major finals and I don't know why... Ashely Cole may also be a let down, he has admitted himself that his English performances haven't been as good as his Aresnal ones, so Bridges may come for him after the French game...

Rooney will turn out to be a huge let down for England, he may be talented but under this pressure i think his game will suffer and his temper will get the better of him.

As for teams, i think the biggest let down will be the team from the Netherlands. People keep telling me that they are unstoppable and Holland will take the championships easily, but i cant see it, they have been inconsistent over the past few months and will falter on the big stage.

Biggest Let-down: the England team.

I think England's future in Euro 2004 depends entirely on their game with France. If they lose to them then they will just lose all hope for the competition, however, should they some how win then I think they have the potential to win the entire championship.

i agree with everyone about Rooney. he scores a few goals against a mediocre side from a country too cold to even own and maintain a football pitch and suddenly they guy is England's hope and glory. he's hot and cold: 10% hot - 90% cold.

Latvia arnt gonna be a letdown because they are expected to do bad. I dont know why people are writing off Raul as going o be a brilliant player in the Championships. Yes he hasnt done as good as he can in recent major finals but he is still a quality player and if he cant find that golden touvh i think he will win the Golden Boot

• 2 weeks later...

i said that greece and portugal will go through. and i was right. i think i was the only person apart from evil to predict that spain wud go out and portugal would go through. so im having a proud moment :)

and id like to also add that Ronaldo was absolutely amazing and without him today portugal would not have beat spain. Also Deco was amazing to.

He still should have buried the header in the first half... Great game though and I also said... play Ronaldo instead of Simao, Deco instead of Rui Costa and Nuno Gomes instead of Pauleta and you'll win.... No wonder I'm great on Championship Manager... If Sven gets sacked I'll do his job lol.

Pauleta is absolutely useless. Did the commentator say he has scored 30 goals in 60 matches? Can i ask how? He has been pathetic in all 3 Portugal games. You gotta play Nuno Gomes ahead of him in the Quarters.. well unless we end up facing them, then they should play Pauleta lol.

Ronaldo should have scored with that header, was unlucky. But he is showing that he can take on the worlds elite, on a big scale, and not just the boys from Millwall.

Well, in fairness to me, I said Spain would be a good choice for biggest letdown, and Raul as biggest letdown player-wise. At least I got something right.

Y'know, it's bad enough losing when you give yourself the best possible chance of winning and still lose. But it must be eating up Spanish fans that Spain went out of their own doing. How Saez could leave Morientes on the bench for 80 minutes is beyond me. For **** sake, he's had a magnificent season, he's a proven goalscorer for Spain, he scored a good goal against Greece, and he was still left out. I honestly couldn't believe it when I saw the starting eleven and he wasn't on it. Its even worse, since Torres was crap. He even brought on Luque ahead of him. Saez could lose his job over this, and I'll have no sympathy if he does. What does Morientes have to do to get a break? Unwanted by Real Madrid, he was also left out of the SQUAD in Euro 2000, and now he's being stiffed again. Had he been on the pitch from the start, Portugal would be out.

Fair play to Ronaldo by the way, he was excellent, but I'm sure he'll meet better full-backs than Raul Bravo. And how he missed that chance only God knows.

Edited by E2K

Torres instead of Morinetes was a grave error... and did you see the chance Raul missed when Ricardo fluufed a cross? Thats two sitters in two games te golden boy missed, had he buried them the Spainards would be through...

Joaquim finally got a start after two good sub showings and he then went to sleep on the wing... Barajara did nothing to warrent his high reputation that he earned at Valencia and why wasn't Mendieta there... he's a top class playmaker still!

Well, just to jump on the "I told you so" bandwagon...

I predicted Totti to be the biggest let down, and I was right.

I also predicted Portugal to go out to Spain, and I was proved wrong. Well done to Portugal, but I hope the Portugese press don't go too overboard with this win. And I hope, if England draw Portugal next round, that the UK press doesn't build Portugal up to be this frigteningly good side. They are and awful side.

Yes, they beat Spain (congrats) but Spain didn't show up. Worst performance of the tournament - even beating Bulgaria's cynical hack'n'slash effort against the Danes. By gum, Spain were diabolical!

Inaki Saez will be sacked. Poor old Morientes.

Cheers!

Portugal showed nothing really. Their inability to fashion & take chances will always come back to haunt them. They're an ordinary side, with some very good players, who England should be confident of beating (if they get through).

I'm actually blind with rage about the Morientes situation. As you can tell.

I think the Dutch will prove alot of people right as well on Tuesday... chances of getting through after that great comeback by the Czech's... slimmer then Stacy Keibler on a diet....

I blame the system Advocatt plays... he trys to fit players in places they don't belong... any Arsenal, Feynoord or Barca fan will tell you that Van Bronckhurst's best postion is not left back.... and Zenden is so overated as well...