Well done

The Crippler

OK while most of you are looking forward to supporting England in Euro 2004, I'd like to say a big well done to our wee country who have just finished playing in the Carribean.

Northern Ireland have now extended their unbeaten run to 5 games after defeating Trinidad and Tobago 3-0. David Healy got two goals and is now our countries top scorer of all time which is great.

Obviously Trinidad aren't some world class opposition but we're only a small country of about 1 and a half million so any win in International football is welcome. Trinidad are also above us in the rankings so a result like that should help us a lot in our regard.

As a Northern Ireland fan I've waited a while for a goal never mind a now 5 game unbeaten run. Well done to Lawrie Sanchez and the players and hopefully they can do our wee country proud with good performances in the World Cup Qualifiers. :xyx

It was a shame for Northen Ireland as they put in some good performances and just couldn't get the goals need to turn draws into wins and a slight loss into a draw...

As for Healy, he just came through the ranks at the wrong time but I do feel he is a premier league class player and I am very happy for him and N.I. Its always good to seee all the home nations do well, I like a good rivalry!

I've also got a soft spot for Northern Ireland. When I was a Rangers fan, I used to tell all my friends that it was because I was such a great fan that I supported the country that is chock-a-block with fellow Rangers fan. Of course, that was a lie, my favourite player back then was Keith Gillespie and I wanted him to do well. :)

I'm pleased to see they've gone on a good run lately. I think the FIFA rankings are such a load of crap, because you see teams like St Kitts and Nevis, St Vincent and Grenadine or loads of Oceanic nations above some of the smaller European teams, and think that if these teams had to compete in one of the tougher continents, they'd never win a game. So to see Northern Ireland win, and prove my point, make me fairly happy indeed.

Talking of small nations well done to san marino who recently won there first game against lichentstein.

I must say it's worrying seeimg northern ireland hitting some form leading up to the world cup qualifiers.

But in all seriousness i hope all the home nations do well apart from the welsh as i have found there hating of the english really nasty unlike the scottish who are always good fun.

i'm glad to see the tour went well. it was a good combination for morale boosting wins, plenty of goals and a good holiday in the caribbean to boot! the north have a decent side and are hard to break down and i've said since the draw was made that neither england nor wales will get all 6 points each from them.

healy's a player i do like and it's nice he's got the record now. robbie keane is just one off of ours and should break that this year hopefully :)

But in all seriousness i hope all the home nations do well apart from the welsh as i have found there hating of the english really nasty unlike the scottish who are always good fun.

You're kidding, right?

If anything it's the Scottish who hate the English more, and they'd be the first to admit it...

The nasty fans are the English, my friend.

Cheers!

Northern Ireland are a crap jobber team' date=' Wales will even take 6 points off them in WC qualifying and england could play their under 21 team and still beat them.[/quote']

i'd suggest that you sit down and watch their performances in the latter stages of the last qualifiers and see the north play against the ukraine and spain. they're a really tough side to break down and have a renewed threat up front from healy. if lennon decides to go back into the fold too then they have a really good chance of nicking an odd win here or there moreso. calling them a jobber team and the view that england's under 21s could beat them is the exact type of view that england will have to avoid when the games come around. england struggled for a fair while to break down the worst of the worst in liechtenstein and didn't do themselves much favours in some of the other games against supposed weaker nation in the euro 2004 qualifying process. they did get the wins in the end and deserved to win the group, but the point i'm making is that they're not a side who can just brush past even the worst of opponents. the north are not the worst and are become a more and more decent outfit with every game under the excellent lawrie sanchez. they'll be up for the england games more than any game since they played the republic in qualification games in the mid 90s.that's a decade waiting for this type of rivalry match to come about and they're in really good shape the last year. a combination of english arrogance and the north's determination will result in a very tough 180 minutes for england.

and to get back to keane's goal from the weekend, it was indeed fantastic. it was a beauty of a run with a majestic strike to fire it past van der sar and leave ireland with a wonderful 1-0 win, despite an inexperienced and young side full of fresh caps taking on the dutch on their euro 2004 warm up trail which has shown them up against both ireland and belgium now inside the space of a week. we got a great goal and a great win, but the most pleasing thing was the performance fully merited it and there was none of that usual b.s. of a brave or fighting irish performance that wins plaudits but doesn't win games. we won the match, we deserved to win the match and even the dutch would recognise that. it bodes really well for our qualification process with the accession of the likes of reid and miller in the swuad and the re-emergence of the over-looked and extremely talented graham barrett. to add to my thoughts on england not getting the maximum 6 points from the fixtures with the north, the same can be said about the general consensus of france grabbing all 6 from the qualification games against ireland.

to add to my thoughts on england not getting the maximum 6 points from the fixtures with the north' date=' the same can be said about the general consensus of france grabbing all 6 from the qualification games against ireland[/quote']

Hope you're right mate. I think its gonna be extremely difficult against France, because they have such quality, but with a full-strength team, I think we could definitely give them a game, especially at Lansdowne. My main worry about us qualifying is the other teams in the group. We'll have to take as many points as possible from Switzerland and Israel. An interesting eighteen months ahead, no doubt.

As for Northern Ireland, hopefully they'll do ok. Their matches against England will be very interesting.

yeah i certainly don't think it'll be easy against france but we're a tough side to beat and at lansdowne are even tougher. the swiss and isreal sides will take points off each and that includes us so it will be a really tough group.

the swiss deserved to qualify in the end for euro 2004. as much as we should have done better, the bottom line is we got 1 point from the 4 games featuring russia and switzlerland and that's just not good enough to get in the top 2 if you can't beat the sides you're up against. i think the swiss may surprise england in euro2004 personally.

I guess time will tell. No surprise you said that' date=' looking at your location. ;)[/quote']

What i said about Northern Ireland had nothing to do with my location.I am not bias because of that, i just tell it the way i see it.

Ireland don't deserve to be in euro 2004, they were not good enough in qualifying when it matters. It's all well and good beating big teams who could not be bothered in friendlies but you have to do it when it matters as well so we will see what will happen in the WC qualifiers, that will be the real test.

What i said about Northern Ireland had nothing to do with my location.I am not bias because of that, i just tell it the way i see it.

Ireland don't deserve to be in euro 2004, they were not good enough in qualifying when it matters. It's all well and good beating big teams who could not be bothered in friendlies but you have to do it when it matters as well so we will see what will happen in the WC qualifiers, that will be the real test.

no one said ireland deserved to be in euro 2004 because they didnt