D-Day 60: Remember Why You Speak English

Cactus Jack

Very true indeed. A moments reflection is nothing compared to what the soilders of the Allied powers did duirng the D-Day landings. I think its very important for us to take time out a remember this, what is sad is that 60th anniversary will probably be the last major celebration of D-Day according to the news. I really do think that history of the UK, and the D-Day landings should be a key to the education in schools, schools are soon to teach people other cultures, which don't get me worng is important, but our own history should be first.

My nan lost her bro and her cousin, her bro was killed on D Day, just 21, her cousin lasted another month till July where he was shot by a German sniper through the head, age just 23 whilst he was just popping to the grocery store for the other soldiers :(

I always take time to reflect and we owe these brave people so much.

I had many family members on my mothers side who fought all through the war for the country... I had a great uncle who had his leg blown off at Dunkirk, another great uncle wh ostormed the beaches and a great cousin who survived the war in the naval submarine service only to die three months later when the new modal he was testing sank in the channel...

All those who don't remeber the loss and struggle and ultimate victory over the evil Nazi force spits on the memory of the greatest people ever to live.

They fought them on the beaches, in the air, on the sea they clawed their way forward and allowed Europe to be free. I owe my life in away to them, and I thank them with all of my heart.

I really do think that history of the UK' date=' and the D-Day landings should be a key to the education in schools, schools are soon to teach people other cultures, which don't get me worng is important, but our own history should be first.[/quote']

In America the kids get pumped full of American history. Then they can go on to study other things.

D-Day was a great triumph for the Allied powers. R.I.P all who died that day fighting for our freedom!

Cactus I think they would because they would rather we had the chance to screw it up in future as Brits then be ruled, milked and slaves under a German Nazi government...

And we learned a little bit about D-Day but not that much... you learn about the causes of the whole war rather then the war itself, the education system tends to believe that as it wasa huge event and shaped the world for the next 40 years that you must know about...

Very hard to imagine but if i would of been born 60 years earlier i could very well of been jumping off those landing crafts into the normandy surf.

The liberation of france was the beginning of the end of world war 2. We can not forget these events and it is great to see them getting great media attention over the past week.

Sometimes war has to be done back at world war 2 it was a such case. The nazi party were nasty and power hungry many of you should rember this this week as your filling in your ballot form as the BNP stand for everything the nazis did.

We can not imagine what the veterans had to go through being violently sea sick seeing friends even family die still knowing they had a job to do. They are real heroes and we should and i'm all of you are proud of them.,