If the World Cup was tomrrow, who would be in your England Squad?

K.J

My 23 would be.

GK

David James

David Seaman

Nigel Martyn

Def

Gary Neville

Phil Neville

Sol Campbell

Rio Ferdinand

John Terry

Jonathan Woodgate

Ashley Cole

Wayne Bridge

Mid

David Beckham

Steven Gerrard

Paul Scholes

Nicky Butt

Joe Cole

Frank Lampard jr

Lee Bowyer

Michael Carrick

Att

Michael Owen

Darius Vassel

Emile Heskey

Kevin Phillips

Gotta love the Vassel bandwagon that's rolling now after one good game...

Nigel Martyn

Richard Wright

David James

Rio Ferdinand

Sol Campbell

Ledley King

Danny Mills

Wayne Bridge

Ashley Cole

Gareth Southgate

Steven Gerrard

David Beckham

Paul Scholes

Frank Lampard

David Dunn

Nicky Butt

Joe Cole

Keiron Dyer

Michael Owen

Emile Heskey

Alan Smith

James Beattie

Andy Cole

I only picked this squad because I don't know the names of any non-league players :)

Originally posted by Dreamer

Gotta love the Vassel bandwagon that's rolling now after one good game...

Yeah, but he is a good player and is perfect like for like cover for Michael Owen, thats why i'd take him.

Kieron Dyer if fit I woud take in place of Carrick.

Goalkeepers

David James

David Seaman

Nigel Martyn

Defenders

Gary Neville

Graeme Le Saux

Sol Campbell

Gareth Southgate

Martin Keown

Ashley Cole

John Terry

Phil Neville

Midfielders

David Beckham

Paul Scholes

Kieron Dyer

Steven Gerrard

Michael Carrick

Joe Cole

Nicky Butt

Steve McManaman

Attackers

Michael Owen

Teddy Sheringham

Emile Heskey

Robbie Fowler

my 23:

Goalkeepers:

David James

Nigel Martyn

Richard Wright

Defenders:

Gary Neville

Phil Neville

Sol Campbell

Gareth Southgate

Greame Le Saux

Ashley Cole

Martin Keown

Jonny Woodgate

Midfielders:

David Beckham

Stevie Gerrard

Paul Scholes

Nicky Butt

Steve McManaman

Lee Bowyer

Kieron Dyer

Strikers:

Alan Shearer (if he decides to come back)

Michael Owen

Teddy Sheringham

Robbie Fowler

Emile Heskey

Shearer Shearer Shearer!

I dont think there is a need for all this fuss over Ricketts. I dont rate him at all and as for Chris Powell, well ha!

Guest Xzibitheny

my squad would be...

GK

James,Seamen,Martyn

Defenders:

Ferdinand.

Woodgate.

Terry.

King

Bridge

Ashley Cole

Mills

Wes Brown

Mid:

Beckham

Dyer

bowyer

scholes

gerrard

Carrick

J.Cole

Bermby

forward:

Vassel

Owen

Fowler

Heskey

Sheringham

First team

James

Mills Ferdinand Woodgate A.cole

Beckham Gerrard Scholes J.cole

Owen Shengham

My 23:

GK

Nigel Martyn

David James

Richard Wright

Defence

Gary Neville

Ashley Cole

Wes Brown

Rio Ferdinand

Wayne Bridge

Gareth Southgate

Midfield

Paul Scholes

David Beckham

Steven Gerrard

Steve McManaman

Jamie Carragher

Kieron Dyer

Strikers

Michael Owen

Robbie Fowler

Darius Vassell

Michael Ricketts

Emile Heskey

Although Alan Shearer may be in great form for Newcastle, I never eeeeeeeeeever want to see him in an England shirt again. He was one of our greatest strikers ofall time but in the final two years of his international career he proved he didn't have what it took at that level anymore.

Yeah he may well have scored the winner against Germany but it wasn't excactly a difficult chance, Beckham put it on a plate or him.

Where was he in the games against Sweden? Nowhere, Shearer is a spent force at international level, he could never play alongside Michael Owen anyway and out of the two i'd definately pick Owen.

OK so Shearer scored in the first game against Sweden, but all I can remember during the entire quaifying rounds for Euro 2000 is that I was becoming increasingly frusrated by the way that first Hoddle and then Keegan kept picking Shearer. It was plain for the everyone to see that he was a spent force at international level.

I cant even remember who was in our group, I think it was Sweden, Bulgaria, Poland and Luxembourg. Put the Luxembourg games aside because my Nan could have a good match against them.

From what I remember Shearer went missing in the 0-0 bore draw at home to Bulgaria, in the 1-1 draw in Bulgaria, in the 0-0 draw at home to Sweden, the 0-0 draw away in Poland. Today, without Shearer I think we would have won all of those games, the only one we would have trouble with today woud be Sweden away.

In the 3-1 home win against Poland which was our only decent result during the whole group, Scholes scored all 3, so if you look back over the group stage, discount the Luxembourg games, I think you'll find that Shearer's only goal was the one you mentioned, the free kick away in Sweden.

Onto the Euro 2000 finals itself and his only goal was the one against Germany, in an entire European Championships campaign 2 meaningfull goals is simply not good enough, and for that reason alone I never want to see Shearer in an England shirt again, unless its in the UK Masters tournament.

I thank you.

Funny how you seem to think your argument is good when there have been flaws throughout your argument the whole way through.

"Where was he against Sweden? Nowhere"

I pointed out that he actually scored in that game. So you shift the goalposts and say where was he against the other teams.

You say in an entire European Championships he only managed two goals. You make it sound as though England actually played a lot of matches. They played THREE matches. In which Alan Shearer scored two. Michael Owen didn't score anymore than him if I recall.

You also say that you think you would have won all those games in the qualifying today. I don't think you can blame Alan Shearer for that. They had a different manager then. Keegan managed England then and since Eriksson came they have been revitalised.

Edited by The Crippler

First of all none of this has anything to do with the fact that i'm a

Man Utd fan.

Whn I said he went missing against Sweden I meant in the Wembley match and when I said he scored 2 meaningful goals I forgot he scored a penalty in the defeat against Romania, but then again I can't possibly be expected to remember every England match from the past 4 years.

Still, the fact that he scored 3 goals against decent and half decent opposition in 11 games (don't forget i'm discounting the Luxembourg games from my argument) doesn't make good reading, or does it?

I do remember him scoring an overhead kick against Belgium in a friendly at the Stadium of Ligh and for the record he scored 1 goal away to Luxembourg and a hat trick in the return fixture, but then again even Steve McManaman managed two goals in that game.

My main problem with Shearer is the entire Euro 2000 campaign, qualifying and finals, I just remember every game thinking Why couldn't Keegan see just how bad he was playing, the answer is because Keegan is a very bad coach. Shearer wasn't the only one, Tony Adams, Paul Ince, Graeme Le Saux, David Batty were al given repeated chances by Keegan even though they were well past their best.

Maybe with Keegan gone and Eriksson in Shearer could do a job for Engand like he did under Venables and Hoddle. But my personal opinion is that at International level, he's had his day, he knows it too and now it's time to look towards the future and the huge amounts of young talent coming through.

My 23 would be as follows: -

GK

David Seaman

David James

Richard Wright

Defence

Gary Neville

Ashley Cole

Sol Campbell

Rio Ferdinand

Wes Brown

Dean Richards