Arrogance

welshladbaz

was just having a discussion with a lass from england, and she had the cheek to say that us welsh are more arrogant than the english!

so using the british anthem as their national anthem isnt arrogant??

everytime a football tourny comes around its 'englands' year this isnt arrogant either??

so in your opinions are us welsh arrogant?

People can be arrogant wether they're English, Welsh or from Outer Mongolia lol. It's just individuals not nations.

Mind you the English get labelled arrogant sometimes because we apparently always think we're going to win footy tournaments etc, but i'd say we're just optimistic. :)

I just had an arrogant **** on the phone here at work (only 20 minutes left!).

I deal with insurance claims for a big ol' company. We get about 2000 to 2500 new claims a week and there are 35 people in this office dealing with them.

This guy rang to ask if we'd dealt with his quote for a broken toilet yet. Nothing odd about that except he'd only put his initial and surname on it. No address. No policy number. Nothing else. It wasn't like it was an odd surname either - wasn't Smith or Patel but it was a popular one.

Anyway, he said "Do you'se not know there's a claim comin' in from me?"

"No, there are too many sir."

"Ahh, yer a ***kin' shower. Aa've changed me insurance to someone else already todee,"

"Well done sir."

"It's lucky you're on the phoon cuz Aa'd ring yeh neck yeh b*****d!"

*Gales of laughter down the phone at him*

Arrogant sod.

I get accused of arrogance with the policyholders here too though. Woe betide someone complaining on the phone and asking what it'd be like if the "shoe was on the other boot?" or asking if it's an "old for new" policy - they will feel the WRATH of my sarcasm!

I dont know any Welsh, and i have never been around people who have steroetyped Welsh as arrogant. So no, i dont think you are..

But are you saying that English are arrogant?

im saying sometimes the english people are over optimistic so in my eyes that makes them arrogant.

im not labelling the whole nation im just pointing out a fact, if us welsh did something like keep talking about past glories we'd be labelled as something, but it seems ok if the english does this.

means most of these replies are from english people, which is your national anthem?

there is nothing wrong with being arrogant or cocky if you can do it. e.g. if someone is good at football they brag which doesnt make them arrogant, so my point is its ok if your cocky if you can do it, luckily for me i can......:lol

Well, I'm Scottish and I'd say the English are the most arrogant people in the world. Perhaps the Americans could rival them if they acted like they did on Independance Day throughout the whole year, but the sheer volume of English "Bulldog Spirit" I have shovled down my throat is unrivaled.

Yes, there is the obvious football arrogance. 99% of the time the media slag England rotten, then during the summer they become the greatest team who ever lived and nothing can stop the brave English heros from defeating the evil cheating foreigners.

We also have to consider that England do use the British national anthem as their own, which is pure arrogance. They'll probably start using the English flag to replace the Union Jack soon.

Without going stereotype-crazy, I'd also say that the people are quite arrogant too. There's something about the London accent that gets on my nerves, in a sort of "I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread" kinda way.

English people being optimistic about footie, or any other nationality for that matter?! Its called patroitism, not arrogance.

That's all well and good, but the English should keep it in their own country. When they won the Rugby World Cup, all the programs in Scotland, Wales and probably Ireland were shifted around so we could see Johnny Wilkinson ride around London in a bus for 6 hours while the commentators made "hilarious" jokes about Australians. If Australia had won the World Cup, would the BBC have shown countless hours of footage about the win, and the events after it? No, so why do the rest of Britain have to put up with it.

This may surprise a few English people, but the BBC and ITV show their programs throughout all of Britain. Newspapers, despite some regional variations, tend to be mostly the same all over Britain. So when England is boasting about how great they are, other Britains have to listen to it to.

As for the Welsh, I don't see them as arrogant at all. Big guys in red Rugby tops who enjoy a drink, and a laugh. That's not arrogant. John Motson saying "Come on England, come on our boys, let's do it for all you fans at home, go out and beat these diving foreigners" to all the countries in Britain, now THAT's arrogance. In fact, that's ignorance, to realise that what your doing is ruining the enjoyment of millions, but carrying on anyway.

And that, ladies and gents, is why I've bought myself a lovely new France home top, a tricolour flag and lots and lots of tasty bread to see me through the England Vs France game at Euro 2004. Motson will get on my nerves, but I really, really hope that Santini's lads HUMP England. Oooooh, Viera! Oooooo, Viera!

the english have a lot to be proud of i think we were the most powerful nation about 50 years ago and we owned the rest of Great Britian until we gave it them back. we had America, Canada, Ausralia, Idia (Pakistan and Bangladesh) etc and for a small nation that is very good. Infact i think we need to be more patriotic

Without going stereotype-crazy' date=' I'd also say that the people are quite arrogant too. There's something about the London accent that gets on my nerves, in a sort of "I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread" kinda way.[/quote']

What is so bad about the accent. Or are you just thinking about toffs, cos I can't stand them either and I live here!!

I'm Scottish and I have to say I agree with Russ on his sporting arrogance points with regard to the English, in particular the media. But you know its wrong to tarnish everyone from a nation, any nation, as arrogant because of something or someone that annoys us. In the sporting sense, what annoys me is that when a team are crap no one wants to know except the 'real' supporters, when that team wins their support increases, these people are glory hunters and its them, not real supporters, that tend to gloat and then cause all true fans to be called arrogant.

That said when an English person reminds me of 1966, as they frequently do, I remind them of 1967, you may have been world champions, so what did that make us: Champions of the Universe? No, as a matter of a fact few Scots talk of our 1967 triumph, why? Cause we're not that arrogant :D

As for Jackjibby England has NEVER owned the rest of Great Britian, read your history books son.

Edited by Godfather

im going to give a bit of history, way back when britain was invaded, who was the only country not to be captured?? Wales

now thats my arrogance over with, but i agree with godfather, you dont seem wales, scotland or the irish living in past glories do you, not unlike the english, oh its there year we can feel it, its been the same rubbish since 1966!

I'm a Welshman, one of my best friends is Scottish, and we live in England. I wouldn't say the Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish for that metter are arrogant. And neither are the majority of English.

Everyone has something to be proud of, and when you celebrate things a lot of jealous souls call you arrogant.

I remember when Arsenal played some second-rate team in the Premiership a while back (could have been Birmingham)... Anyway, this team was "on a role" of 7 games undefeated and 5 wins, something like that, and Arsenal were playing Birmingham away. Sky TV built this match up: "is this the day Arsenal come unstuck?" etc etc...I was watching the game with my friend (Spurs fan) and I kept saying "Birmingham don't have a chance", when Birmingham won a corner I said "Arsenal will score from this Birmingham corner" - and Birmingham messed up the corner and ten seconds later Arsenal had scored. It ended up 4-1.

Anyway, after the match, I just said "told you". I was accused of arrogance.

Right now, like it or not, England are currently BETTER at sports than the Welsh or the Scottish, and they know it, and they taunt us, but it's hardly arrogance.

Cheers!

so..the bottom line appears to be - everyone can be arrogant, and not everyone likes it.

"

And that, ladies and gents, is why I've bought myself a lovely new France home top, a tricolour flag and lots and lots of tasty bread to see me through the England Vs France game at Euro 2004. Motson will get on my nerves, but I really, really hope that Santini's lads HUMP England. Oooooh, Viera! Oooooo, Viera!

"

wow, dedication!.

Concerning arrogance, as said earlier, doesnt matter if its countries, football, or even favouriate brands of cheese.

In a shop the other day, some guy commented on my (2nd div team) football shirt. He said in a rude way 'ah well someones gotta support them'. I said 'who do u support' he said 'no-one', i just smiled. trying to put me down for having an affiliation, when he has none?

If something is in your blood that u cant help (be it football team, or nationality or anything), there is the possibility that for some of the time, you will see that side of things through rose-tinted spectacles.

in closing, we're better, who cares? lol

I can be arrogant, but that's not because I'm Welsh, just because I'm better than everyone else ;)

Seriously, I don't think that England as a nation is a more arrogant nation than any of the other home nations. We all have our little foibles.

And yes, although Wales remained free for a while, it was eventually captured and conquered, mostly in the south, by the English, which is why we speak English there not Welsh. Sorry Baz.