hate job interviews

charlie

Oh man, I did the worst job interview in my life yesterday. I was so unprepared for it it was just a joke. Plus it would have involved driving to Leicester and Northampton every day, from Birmingham. Probably best if I write that one off and start looking again. At least I got the interview in the first place, and it's all good practice. Must have been about a year since I last had a job interview.

Im 19.. well next week.. and i have only been working in one place.. part time, since i was legal to work properly at 16. My job interview went well back then, but i was nervous going into it. But they made the best choice in hiring such a young gifted store assistant! hehe.

Man i went for my first job interview like 3 months ago and i was really nervous cause it was my first interview and they wanted a 17+ person and i was only 16 so i went and thought it went really bad then i got a second interview and i was really nervous again and then the next day i found out they gave me the job and thats where i am now or for the next 5 minutes i finish at 3:30 on a friday :D

Myself and my friends have been for loads of interviews lately, because for the 3rd year of my degree I need to do a year in (a paid!) industrial placement. I know people who have been all over the world for interviews, and whether it's in Finland or down the street, they can always go wrong.

The worst thing that can happen is if you take an angle that the employer isn't interested in. Just like the most popular wrestlers, you've got to have a gimmick. Where you go is down to you.

I've been focusing a lot of the gimmick of someone who has a huge amount of knowledge and a good understanding about the way that businesses operate, but I've not yet had a chance to put the theory into practice. Some of my pals have been going more for the "I want a job here for a year because I'd like to work for the company after graduation" approach, while others are going for the suck-up approach of "I really love your company and I've always been interested in what you do, can I have a job?". To be honest, there's loads of angles you could approach a job interview from, and how you answer questions is how they get an impression of you.

If you answer their queries in a jokey way (ie- "I saw you passed this subject well, how did you do that?" "I dunno, something went right, hehe!") they'll see you as a friendly, happy character which might benefit you if you're going for a human relations related job. If you go into technical details (ie- "How comfortable are you with a PC?" "I'm familiar with all the main applications and packages, and able to manipulate, create and alter documents in a manner of ways, for instance...") then they might see you as a hard working, dependable guy which could win over someone looking for an employee in IT or Sales.

The worst interview I ever had was with Sainsburys. I was on a year out between school/uni working to get some money, and I fancied working for a while with Jamie Oliver's crew. The problem was, it was a competancy based interview. Basically, they asked you to name scenarios that felt best summed up a situation. For example, if they say "Tell me about a time where you helped someone", you would give a real life example of what you did, why you did it and what happened after that. That's fine if you've been working for a firm for 17 years. I had only had one job before, in McDonalds. To answer things like "Tell me about the time you helped a team rise to the occassion", I'd be saying stuff like "Once at McDonalds we were busy, and I said "work harder", and everyone did and it was good and I was happy".

Of course, the world being the way it is, I got the job. Anyway, I'm still waiting for about 15 companies to get back to me after I've had interviews with them, and I have a horrible feeling that all of them are going to turn around and say "you suck, the role is filled, get lost stinky".

I've got a rather important job interview on Tuesday as it happens. And I'm pretty unprepared for it...

The job is "Desktop Publisher" and it involves a lot of travelling by train to head office in London. I've had an "informal chat" and they've said "of course, we insist you travel first class to head office", which was sweet. Then when I told them I'll be catching a train to work instead of driving, they said "that's fine, as the train ticket we give you is unlimited throughout Britain." Super-Sweet.

Lastly, I have to go by train to this interview on Tuesday and they've sent me a train ticket with the appointment letter. First class...again.

I am getting pretty nervous about this interview though, the letter said it will take at least an hour. D'oh!

Cheers!

One thing i'm good at (there's not many) is job interviews. To the handful i've been to I have always made an impression, always been called back for a second stage interview or been offered the job. Out of the handful only accepted 1, and turned down the others.

I thought I would freeze in my first interview but you realise you have nothing to lose going into them so relax, be yourself, crack a few jokes, type up a fancy CV on Word and you're onto a winner.

Shame i'm not really good at other important things!

Thanks Charlie! I got a letter through the post today...I hadn't got the job.

It was a crummy letter though, it didn't give a reason why, it just said "you have not been successful, best of luck"...

And that was about it!!

Oh well.

Cheers!