Santini appointed at Spurs

Jack

Tottenham have appointed France national boss Jacques Santini as their next head coach.

Santini will still mastermind France's campaign to defend their title at the European Championship in Portugal.

But the 52-year-old Frenchman will join the London club when his contract expires at the end of the tournament.

"I am an ambitious man and it has always been a dream of mine to coach a big English club in the most exciting league in the world," said Santini.

"I am delighted to get the opportunity to join Tottenham Hotspur.

"They are a very big club, with a wonderful history and great traditions.

"Daniel Levy (chairman) and Frank Arnesen (sports director) have outlined their vision and I share their ambitions.

"I am determined to help the club return to its place amongst the elite," he added.

Spurs finished 14th in the Premiership last season and Levy said he expected the new coach to spark an improvement.

"I am delighted Jacques is joining the club - he was the outstanding candidate because of his experience, coaching ability and track record at all levels.

Arnesen replaces Pleat

"His arrival in addition to that of Arnesen is the direct result of a comprehensive review of the football side of the club.

"We now have a coaching set-up in place that has experience in several different countries and an extensive knowledge of players across the world."

Arnesen, who will take over from departed director of football David Pleat on 1 July, hailed the news.

"Jacques has a wealth of experience both as a player and as a coach.

"He has won honours at both national and international level and his reputation in Europe and among other respected figures in the game is excellent.

"In my opinion he was by far and away the best candidate shortlisted for the position and I am very happy that we have succeeded in bringing him to the club.

i am totally suprised at this, i didnt even know he was a taget for Spurs but Im sure hell do a good job

Bugger me, the French national coach.. then again the last French national couch who took over an English club side was a certain Gerard Houliller, anybody tell me what happened to him.

Who do you reckon he'll sign first and who will the French replace him him with?

Santini did a cracking job with Lyon before the France job, so I'm sure he'll cope fine with club management. The thing that surprises me is how big a fish Spurs have caught, because in the world of football, Tottenham aren't the biggest club in the world. I laughed when papers suggested Martin O'Neil could take over at Spurs, because I don't think there's any chance he'd give up guarenteed Champions League football every season to manage a side that spends most of it's time in the bottom half of the Premiership.

Still, if Santini can produce the goods, Spurs might manage a top 10 finish. The fact that he was so keen to secure his future after the Euro championships makes me think that he's not too confident of success with France this summer, which will probably send the English tabloids and BBC into a frenzy that England have beaten France already. Anyway, good luck to Spurs, but if they manage to qualify for Europe next season then I'll be very surprised.

he is a good manager but leaving the french national team for spurs he's aving a laugh aint he, i bet he's getting good money for just making spurs a mid table team at first, and why would a play like rothen leave a team in european football for a team not?

On first look i thought it said Satriani was the new spurs manager (MLM will know who i mean! ) Anyway no matter how much i despise Tottenham i think they have done really well to land a manager of this calibre. He will no doubt give the club a bit of recognition now and help to bring in some big name players. To begin with just this morning i heard on BBC Radio 5 that Spurs are looking to sign Edgar Davids within the next few days. If it did happen then well done to Tottenham, he would be a HUGE signing for the club.

I'm a bit hot and cold about this, it's a great coup by Spurs getting the French national team coach, but on the other hand he has no club experience outside of the French League.

Speaking to a Spurs fan this morning who was very optimistic about the team of Arnesen and Santini, looks like Spurs have a good managerial team in place, now they just need to get the curse lifted.

I wish them good luck in trying to turn Spurs around. I remember a few years back, whenever Spurs was on Sky, i would normally try to watch them.. especially at White Hart Lane because they were so good to watch, very entertaining.. but now they are dull and boring.. so good luck to them!

YAY!

About 8 months too late, but Levy has done very, very well!

To think, as much as I hope it doesn't happen, we could have the manager who just won Euro 2004!

To all in this 8 months who have ripped on us, and slated us- who's laughing now?!! Our place in the top six awaits...