Promos

E2K

I'm sick of large portions of Raw and Smackdown being taken over with long-winded promos, some of which have absolutely no need to be as long as they are. And I actually think that the wrestlers are TOLD to make their promos that long-winded (maybe so HHH's don't seem so bad). Its the only possible explanation.

For example: I think Eddie is good on the mic, but a good two or three minutes of his in-ring promos these days seem to be given over to the "orale vatos" and appreciating the crowd cheering for him. On that score, Hogan was REALLY annoying when he was back. He'd come to the ring and stand there for ages, looking around at the cheering crowd with a big cheesy smile on his face. The likes of Matt Hardy must've been watching in the back, thinking with each passing second "Oh well, I might not have a match tonight, but at least Hogan appreciates the fans"

Vince is the worst though, mainly cos he can't seem to get his words out. Here's an example of a Vince McMahon promo. In this case, hes telling someone that they have a match against the Rock:

"You might be wondering why I'm here tonight, in fact, I'm gonna tell you why I'm here tonight, matter of fact, I'm gonna tell you right now. I came here tonight quite frankly . . . well, quite frankly, the reason I came here tonight is because, tonight, right here in this very ring, you will face the man . . . . quite frankly, as a matter of fact, the man who is, well in fact, quite frankly, theres some who call him the peoples champion . . . . making reference of course . . . . quite frankly, the rock"

Whatever happened to getting to the point?

Damn right, Sure promos can build a match and feud but seriously the wwe needs to realise that i tune in to watch wrestling not just some people talking for hours. Thank god for the wrestling channel which gives me the wrestling i need! It makes putting up with wwe talking just about bearable

The reason the promos suck is because you can tell what their gonna say! When HHH comes to the ring I know he's gonna say he's the best, the game, he should be world champ and he's gonna kick Michaels/Benoits ass next time he gets in the ring..

As for all promos being stale? Well at least JBL's and Cena's have been top notch over on Smackdown.

i miss the comedy promos, especially the kurt angle ones, kurt angle is a ****in moron, but when he want's to he can be hilarious, like when he went to , I think it was kansas or something, I can't remember, he called the crowd "morbidly obeise", or when Triple H and stephanie were "pregnent", he came out with that stuff gorilla with a hugh paper nose, calling it the baby. ha ha ha, good times, good times. Edited by muhammadali88

The stars of today should go back and look at some classic proms from "the old days". Ric Flair, in his pre-world champ/US champ days was great. Dusty Rhodes, young Roddy Piper, Ronnie Garvin, the Freebirds, etc, etc, etc...

They often started with or soon included "Let me tell you something", made their point, talked a LITTLE trash, even snuck in some comedy bits and then got OFF the mic before wearing out their welcome.

This is another example of how things used to be better.

i miss the comedy promos' date=' especially the kurt angle ones, kurt angle is a ****in moron, but when he want's to he can be hilarious, like when he went to , I think it was kansas or something, I can't remember, he called the crowd "morbidly obeise", or when Triple H and stephanie were "pregnent", he came out with that stuff gorilla with a hugh paper nose, calling it the baby. ha ha ha, good times, good times.[/quote']

I love comedy promos. My favourite that I can vaguely remember was one which has the Rock in. The rock was going to face Jericho, and one of the lines was about his family, and was something like "You can bring ya momma Jericho, daddy jericho, little timmy jericho and uncle jimmy jack jericho". Dunno why it was so funny, I think it was the enthusiasm and energy he put into the promo.

Yeah, the promos are a little long. I your gonna have a long promo, than learn from the best like The Rock (funniest promos I've heard and always entertaining) and Stone Cold (another real good one). All the good trash talkers know how to give good long promos. If you don't, then get out of the ring!! Your boring me. I wish fans would start to chant 'boring' in the middle of most of the promos.

Hey WWE, either get your guys to work on their promos better or have them promo with their fists instead of their mouths.

Promos are long and complicated now, because they mirror the story lines and force the wrestler to do a comic book recap, you know, where spiderman tells you the story so far in a thought bubble as he's swinging towards the next part of the the plot.

Gone are the days of simplicity....

HHH bumps into a table arguing with Ric Flair, a glass of beer shatters on the ground, Benoit gets up from the table and kicks 12 bells of whiskey out of Flair and HHH.

Next show...

HHH calls out benoir to demand to know why he dared to lay his hands on the game.

Benoit comes out "You spilt my beer"

HHH "You broke my nose"

Benoit "What you gonna do about it?"

Evolution sneak up behind benoit and bang one feud starts....

Now in the olden days we would have a 30 second slot with Benoit and HHH talking trash, using clever beer references and similies to what they are going to do to each other in the ring and then told the story in the ring.....

Nowadays, it would be like this....

Benoit is now in the ring "Last week on Raw I got beaten down by evolution, because I Beat up HHH for spilling my beer, well I tell you, I am not taking this lying down"

Up come evolution and kick seven grades of whupass out of Benoit.... HHH grabs the mike "Benoit, I don't care if i spilled your beer and I don't care that you got awfully offended, but you do not mess with evolution" HH gets a bottle of beer and pours it on benoit.

Next week

HHH talks about how he spilt the bottle of beer, benoit beat him up, he beat benoit up, beat him up again and poured a bottle of beer on him... etc etc

You get the gist...

Saracen

Guess Mick Foley was right. Fans nowadays cant sit through promos unless its a big set of tits or a catchphrase.

Eh, no. I don't care about the women, I'm a WRESTLING fan. And the catchphrases aren't everything, I'm a WRESTLING fan. And as such, I don't like it when the shows are full of fifteen minute promos that lead nowhere. Sure, there are exceptions - just not very many

i miss the comedy promos' date='

Me too, Dude!

Remember the Christmas episode of raw years ago.

The one where Stone Cold brought down a port-a-john into the ring...beat Goldust around the ring and into the stall..and then as soon as 'Dust stumbled out...BAM!!!...STUNNER! :lol

Pure comedic genius! :thumbsup

I love comedy promos. My favourite that I can vaguely remember was one which has the Rock in. The rock was going to face Jericho' date=' and one of the lines was about his family, and was something like "You can bring ya momma Jericho, daddy jericho, little timmy jericho and uncle jimmy jack jericho". Dunno why it was so funny, I think it was the enthusiasm and energy he put into the promo.[/quote']

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Damn'! That ROCK is a funny guy!

. . . . or when Triple H and stephanie were "pregnent"' date=' he came out with that stuff gorilla with a hugh paper nose, calling it the baby. ha ha ha, good times, good times.[/quote']

"Hey look, baby bananas! What? They're that damn good??"

:lol

I know I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks this but I thought the Las Resistance promo on Stone Colds last Raw (the first one with Fifi in it) was quality - especially Dupree threatening SC and calling him out and then not getting any offense in at all when Austin came out, and ridiculously selling the stunner by nearly jumping out of the ring!

I also think the Christian promo's are quality at the moment but the Smackdown one's are rubbish. I mean they had an RVD promo a few weeks ago that consisted of nothing but RVD breathing heavily and John Cena's promos are just crap and follow the same format each week, as follows:-

To crowd: Are you gonna represent?

Crowd : "Damn Straight!"

Boring 3 minute rap namechecking a famous sportsman/team from the city they happen to be in followed by either calling his opponent a bitch or accusing him of being gay.

Dramatic finale: Throwing a packet of nuts at someone.

If I wanted to listen to some awful wide-boy wannabe with no rapping talent I'd buy a Blazin Squad Album!

Promos are an integral part of the show and are there simply to sell feuds. As for wrestler return promos some are just pointless. When Edge was returning before the draft mix up they kept on showing these promos with no point to them. Mordecai's & Undertaker's promos were at least a little freaky.