Just Remember Those 3 Letters, N B A

Alan

Yes its that time again, the NBA playoffs are nearly at an end with two teams battling it out over a possible 7 games for the championship. One of the teams that made it this year is a Finals regular in the LA Lakers led by Kobe and co. Their opponents are the Detroit Pistons making their first Finals appearance in 14 years!!!

The playoffs have been great for the Lakers this year, in the first round they breezed past the Houston Rockets in 5 games. The second round was going to be a huge test as they were up against last years champions the San Antonio Spurs, but the Lakers didn’t batter an eyelid as they took the series in 6 games. Kevin Garnett, Latrell Sprewell and the Timberwolves were next up in the Western Conference final, they put up a fight but still crashed out to the dominant Lakers in a 6 game series.

The Detroit Pistons also had an easy first round, demolishing the off-form Milwaukee Bucks in 5 games. However the Pistons second round was a lot tougher as the New Jersey Nets took them all the way to game 7, but as that game started the Nets had no chance, leaving a 12 deficit at half time and eventually losing 69-90. In the Eastern Conference Final the Pistons took on Reggie Miller's Indiana Pacers in what was a great defensively minded 6 game series. Both teams were excellent on defence which lead to some low scores (69-65) but that didn’t mean the games weren't great, they were amazing. The Pistons took game 6 only last night to book their place in the Playoff Finals for the first time since 1990.

So it is looking to be a great NBA Finals with both teams coming in with decent momentum and extremely high confidence. No doubt the Pistons will want to make their return to the finals a successful one, but from where I am standing I can’t see past the Lakers taking it in 6 games. Anyone else going to be checking these games out? And do you think coach Phil Jackson, Shaq, Karl Malone, Gary Payton, Kobe Bryant and the rest of the Lakers will manage to get past coach Larry Brown, Elden Campbell, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace, Chauncey Billups and the rest of the Pistons team?

I've not enjoyed an NBA season as much as this one for years. I dunno why that is, but I've enjoyed everything on offer this season. I'm kinda of a closet 76ers fan because my gran bought me a 76ers jersey with Iversen on it when she was in Washington a wee while ago, but most of the time I'm neutral and just tune in to see the fancy B-Ball on offer.

As for the final itself, I think the championship is heading back to LA. The Lakers are just too strong in every department, and although Rasheed Wallace was one of the most impressive players of the season, it's gotta be a fairly quick Lakers win.

how good are orlando magic these days??i aint watched basketball in about 6 years......

Orlando have gone downhill immensely since the glory days of Penny Hardaway and Shaq, this season they finished with an abysmal 21-61 record on the season finishing bottom of the Eastern Conference, whereas the Eastern Conference winners finished 61-21 on the year. Even my favourite team the Bulls have gone down to the bottom finishing one place above the Magic with a 23-59 record. :(

Orlando have gone downhill immensely since the glory days of Penny Hardaway and Shaq' date=' this season they finished with an abysmal 21-61 record on the season finishing bottom of the Eastern Conference, whereas the Eastern Conference winners finished 61-21 on the year. Even my favourite team the Bulls have gone down to the bottom finishing one place above the Magic with a 23-59 record. :([/quote']

penny hardaways my fav player of all time, ahhh damn i knew how bad the bulls are these days so orlando must be complete crap, have yous been watching the finals??been good so far with pistons takin an unpresedented 1-0 lead

I have watched both games so far and it has been fantastic viewing.

In Game 1 the Pistons played a blinder, their defensive plays were working really well against the attack minded Lakers, and it showed by the fact only Kobe and Shaq scored into double figures that game. Karl Malone had a scoreless first half which is very unsual, and Gary Payton also floundered. The deciding factor seemed to be the Bench players, basically whenever the Pistons bench came into the game they outscored their Lakers equivalent convincingly. Chauncey Billups was the Pistons leading scorer, but he was helped greatly by Tashaun Prince and Ben Wallace. Rasheed Wallace sat out most of the first and all of the second quarter thanks to him picking up 2 fouls early on, also Rip Hamilton was slightly off form but that didnt hinder Detroits progress!

No team has ever come back from losing the first two games in the series at home to take the championship. No doubt that statistic was playing on the Pistons minds throughout Game 2. This one was very exciting, with both teams exchanging leads throughtout, at one point the Lakers even went 11 ahead. Once again Hamilton was off form, and Rasheed got 2 fouls early on, but this time the Lakers had figured out how to attack the Pistons and it showed. However Detroit stayed in the game and with 45 seconds left were 6 points ahead and looking certain for victory and a 2-0 series lead. But Shaq got fouled while scoring a lay-up which gave him a free throw which he sunk easily, the pistons then rushed a play which failed, and Kobe levelled the score at 89-89 with a three pointer on the buzzer. It then went into OT and the Lakers showed that they were stronger and won the game 99-91.

I've not had the chance to see game 1 yet due to my lack of Sky TV, but Kobe's 3-Pointer at the very end of game 2 had me going totally crazy. I'm not a Lakers fan, but I can appreciate talent, and LA have it in abundance. Luke Walton played totally out of his skin, Shaq was on fire until he was on 5 fouls and Kobe is a true star for nailing that shot under so much pressure.

Fair play to the Pistons, they've fought really hard in both games and they've more than matched my expectations for them. Can they win though? I say no, if LA play like they did in Game 2 for the rest of the series, I can only see one winner. Even without Malone, the Lakers can cope, and fingers crossed that the remaining games are as fun to watch for the neutral as they have been so far.

Good ol' Alan producing the goods with another cracking thread! I love my Hoops, and i'll love it even more if the boys from NASN grab the NBA rights this Summer, i'm keeping a close eye on that situation. The only downside would be no Kevin Cadle presenting any NBA. :( Cadle guy is THE MAN! But NASN is the future for the NBA in the UK, because Sky have been pathetic in recent seasons, they drive me round the bend so much.

The series has been fascinating so far. I mean compare it to last year's final...they are so much different. New Jersey only bright spots was when Mutumbo decided that he was in the mood to play, and apart from that, the Spurs just walked all over them. Detroit's team matches upto the Lakers five, and at the start of Game 1, you just knew we would be in store for an awesome series.

I want the Pistons to win the series but they are playing the Lakers afterall. Never rule out the Lakers, they know when to step up their game. For proof of that, look at last season when Shaq's toe was keeping him out, Kobe picked his game up so much and went on that brilliant streak of 40+ points every game and just last night, when they needed the 3 points, they turned to Kobe to be the Clutch and he delivered 3 lovely points.

Can't wait for Friday morning!

Even though the series is only 2 games old, i am surprised that there hasnt been a Standout player who is dominating the games. Obviously Kobe and Shaq have played well, with Billups and Rasheed playing well for the Pistons, but from these two games it is tough to see who will end up with the Finals MVP.

I must say though that the young rookie Luke Walton played a superb ball-game in Game 2, from the way he was playing you would have thought he was a 6 year veteran! Even Shaq was amazed at how well he played and how well he could give Shaq the ball:

"It amazes me how he can give me the ball and guys that have been playing with me four' date=' five, six years can't give me the ball," O'Neal said. "He got it about six, seven times to me."[/quote']

Coming into these Finals i was neutral as i am a Bulls fan through and through (no jokes please), but i am hoping that the Pistons will do it this year and bring some glory back to the Eastern Conference :xyx

Finals Game 3

For those of you who are interested what follows is a brief run-down of Game 3 of the NBA Finals.

Game 3 was held in Detroit on Thursday night, and after Tuesdays emotionally scarring defeat in OT the Pistons were looking to retake the series lead. However the Lakers were confident they could keep the momentum going and dishearten Detroit by taking Game 3.

For the third time running Shaq jumped early on the tip giving Detroit the ball to start the game, that may have been the biggest mistake of the game/series as straight away the Pistons went into an 8-0 lead. From then on it was no looking back for Rip, Rasheed and the boys, as they dominated the whole game and never really looked like losing the game. Although there was a period of 4/5 minutes where Detroit failed to hit a basket, their defense was keeping the Lakers from scoring. Luke Walton was brought on and he came away with 3 fouls in a very short time, Shaq also racked up a few but thats no change! Detroit even managed to get a 24 point lead at one stage, once that happened everyone knew that this game was going the Pistons way, the final score being 88-68.

The story of the game wasn't that the Lakers played poorly, because they didnt, the reason the Pistons won was because their defense was out of this world. It showed why they had the joint best defensive record in the regular season, and Kobe, Shaq & co had an extremely tough time dealing with it. If the Pistons can play that well in the next two games (which are also in Detroit) then there is no doubt in my mind that the NBA championship will be on its way to the Eastern Conference Champions in the Palace of Auburn Hills :xyx

The Piston's destroyed the Lakers last night and it was great to see. From the start, the Piston's built up a meaty lead and I knew the Lakers would struggle and probably had no chance in this one and I was right. The Pistons are looking top class right now and the Lakers look hopeless. Malone obviously is just wheeling himself out there as it is his last chance to win the Championship but he is in no shape to compete in these finals. As Al also says, I want Detorit to win so the East have some success and it'll start to even up the sides. Teams like New Jersey, Knicks, Indiana and New Orleans will get much stronger in the Playoffs in years to come and teams that have struggled recently such as the Magic, Bulls will improve thanks to the Draft later this month.

Looking good for the East!

PS: What are the odds on the ball not reaching its apex on the tip off for the 4th game running? :)

Pistons Win! Pistons Win!

Heres a quick run-down on games 4 and 5

Game 4

This was a must win game for both teams, the Lakers because they needed to get back into the series and a win in Detriot would definitely boost their confidence, and the Pistons because it would guarantee that if the series went back to LA they would be leading and they would have a phsycological advantage. It also helped that no team has ever cam back from a 3-1 defecit in the Finals to win the championship.

The game started exactly the same as the first 3, with Shaq jumping early on the tip-off. Neither team played excellent this game, the lead changed more times than i can remember and both sets of players were not at their best. Moments of greatness shone through from Billups and Sheed, and Kobe and Shaq, but nothing to really write home about. For the first time this series a player was taken off with 6 fouls, and surprisingly it was the Rookie Luke Walton, what a way to go through his first finals! Detroit won 88-80 in the end.

Game 5

This was it, Detriot needed just this game to be crowned NBA champions. The pressure was on both teams, the Lakers needed to stay in the series, and Detriot wanted the gold! For teh first time this series the tip-off went without a hitch, the Lakers went into a 6 point lead but quickly showed they were struggling. Malone was injured on the bench, and Shaq got 2 fouls early on. While watching the game i had no doubt that Detriot would take the game and the championship. They yet again dominated the offense and defense, leaving the Lakers with no hope of winning. The game finished 100-87 to the Detriot Pistons, and boy did Detriot celebrate! The Finals MVP award was given to a deserving Chauncey Billups.

All in all it was a fantastic series and i am glad that the better team won :xyx